Thread: Confused about when to take protein shake.

Wannabebig Member

Confused about when to take protein shake.

Hi,

Iím confused when/how much/what kind of protein drink I should be taking on my workout days. Thereís so much info out there, but I just get more confused by reading more and more of it, because thereíre so many different opinions.

Hereís my post where you can see where Iím with my eating plan.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=51466
    Currently I only drink one protein drink every morning.

Should I be drinking one whey protein drink immediately after a work out, before a work out? Should be just protein and water or can I add some strawberries or other berries to it? If I can how much? Is half a cap of strawberries and ľ of a cup of raspberries too much/too little? Should I be drinking a combination of whey and casein?

Also, if I add a post workout protein drink that would add more protein into my eating plan. Does it mean that I shouldnít be drinking a protein drink each morning? Does it mean that on the workout days (if I add a post workout protein drink) I should be eating less protein in my 6 small meals through the day?

Iím sorry to sound so confused about thisÖI know how to loose weight and what worked for me, but when it comes to proper nutrition and weight training to gain lean muscle Iím still learning.

Thanks!

Do a search.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

ďTake things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.Ē ó Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by eugeneeg
    Hi,

Iím confused when/how much/what kind of protein drink I should be taking on my workout days. Thereís so much info out there, but I just get more confused by reading more and more of it, because thereíre so many different opinions.

Hereís my post where you can see where Iím with my eating plan.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=51466
    Currently I only drink one protein drink every morning.

Should I be drinking one whey protein drink immediately after a work out, before a work out? Should be just protein and water or can I add some strawberries or other berries to it? If I can how much? Is half a cap of strawberries and ľ of a cup of raspberries too much/too little? Should I be drinking a combination of whey and casein?

Also, if I add a post workout protein drink that would add more protein into my eating plan. Does it mean that I shouldnít be drinking a protein drink each morning? Does it mean that on the workout days (if I add a post workout protein drink) I should be eating less protein in my 6 small meals through the day?

Iím sorry to sound so confused about thisÖI know how to loose weight and what worked for me, but when it comes to proper nutrition and weight training to gain lean muscle Iím still learning.

Thanks!
    Ok first of all slow down dude!
    I will try to answer your questions based on what has been working for me, and hopefully you will take it and make adjustments for your lifestyle.

Firstly I recommend you have 2 shakes a day. The reason is that you will need teh protein to build muscle. Why limit your intake to 1/2 the amount you COULD be taking. Think about this you up and about for 10 - 12 hours a day. You are only giving your body the supplementation once (and only in teh morning). What about 6 hours later when your body is asking for my nutrients?
    I will tell you that if you HAVE to only take 1 shake, then the morning is a great time to take it, right after you wake up, to kick your body out of its catabolic state. However I rather have real foods like eggs and oatmeal.

This is what I do. I have a shake within 45 minutes of my workout. This si vital to weightlifting as you have just depleted large nutritional stores in your body, and your body needs to replenish itself. I also have a shake before I go to bed. HOWEVER, the shake i take before bed I will be moving to the morning do to the fact that it is WHEY protein, which gets absorbed very quickly by the body.

I need to go and get SOY protein, and take that at night. Here is why, when your body is resting that is when growth and repair happens. The SOY protein is slow absorbing and will at least give my body nutrients to last a while throghout my sleep cycle. Once I get the SOY i will not take the shake in the morning, as I am not looking to drink more than two shakes.

You can put whatever you want in your shakes. I would tell you to look at serving sizes and base your choices off that. I am not sure if fruit has ss, but if not then be smart about it. Put a fair amount in there that would satisfy you.

Do not combine Protein. Use what you feel works best for you, but make sure its pure to that type (ex Whey Only, Soy only). The Mixed Proteins are known as Dirty Proteins due to the fact that they have some "impurities" to them, in not being pure. Try to stick with a pure, i think you will also end up saving money in the process.

Eat to Eat man, the more CLEAN food the better, but not everyone can do that (its hard for myself to just eat and eat). My rule of thumb is that on workout days i always take my shakes in conjunction with food (i try for around 3200 cal). On my two - three days off I do not always take the shakes, and instead get whole foods instead. This process works well for me, due to the fact that it helps prevent me from getting sick of the shakes.

Remember protein is your friend the more the more your body has a chance to use, though it will never use all of it. Also make sur eyou are drinking a lot of water (around a 1/2 gallon or more) daily. You need to flush out the extra protein your body doesnt use, as well as try to protect your kidneys from too much protein. Drink a glass of water right after you consume a shake, VERY IMPORTANT!!!

I hope this helps you.

Oh and by the way, the guy that posted before me, do the board a favor if you are not going to help your fellow lifter, then dont bother posting. Instead of saying do a search, why dont you share your wisdom with the newbie's. You were once in his position, dont forget that.

Wrong, quick digesting protein in the morning is a waste. You are best served with a slow digesting protein such as a can of tuna, which will provide a more constant source of slow digesting protein. YA quick digesting protein is post immediatly after your workout, to refuel your damaged muscles. This is the ideal time for a shake, an anabolic window of sorts that requires protein dshuttled directly to the muscles. Drop the shake before bed as well, again it is best to go with a slower digesting protein like cottage cheese, or even casein.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bboy486
    Firstly I recommend you have 2 shakes a day. The reason is that you will need teh protein to build muscle. Why limit your intake to 1/2 the amount you COULD be taking. Think about this you up and about for 10 - 12 hours a day. You are only giving your body the supplementation once (and only in teh morning). What about 6 hours later when your body is asking for my nutrients?

*Are you just assuming he doesn't eat whole food ever?*

I need to go and get SOY protein, and take that at night. Here is why, when your body is resting that is when growth and repair happens. The SOY protein is slow absorbing and will at least give my body nutrients to last a while throghout my sleep cycle. Once I get the SOY i will not take the shake in the morning, as I am not looking to drink more than two shakes.

*Casein >>>> soy*

Do not combine Protein. Use what you feel works best for you, but make sure its pure to that type (ex Whey Only, Soy only). The Mixed Proteins are known as Dirty Proteins due to the fact that they have some "impurities" to them, in not being pure. Try to stick with a pure, i think you will also end up saving money in the process.

*A protein blend is better than a "pure" type. You will retain more of the protein from a blend.*