Thread: To Run Or To Walk is the question

To Run Or To Walk is the question

This is my first post, so here goes. I was wondering if it is better to run 4 miles or to walk four miles. I usually run at almost 7 MPH, and walk 4-4.5 MPH, but i am wondering which is better. Should i walk four miles in an hour, or to run them in 35 minutes or so? Personally I prefer to walk, and time is not an issue here.

I usually feel the burn A LOT more after running the same amount of miles than walking, but I don't exactly love running. But I have seen articles saying how running is bad for your knees, and walking burns barely more calories for the same distance. Also, I have heard that you burn fat after 30 minutes, so you would have more fat to burn by walking (30 minutes v 5 minutes).

But you can say, running keeps the your metabolism going all day, all athletes run a lot and you can feel it so it must be better. Time for me is no issue, and I prefer to walk. So the question I pose here, is which is better, and by how much? Or is it best to do one day walk, then run the next, or half walk and half run a day. Also, is running/walking good enough exercise for the legs, or should I work them out as well? Thank you for your time.

Rick

There was a thread about this a day or two ago that turned ugly
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Lol, I was thinking the exact same thing, "uh oh" poped into my head.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

What was the name of the thread/can you post it? Thank you.

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."
    - Timothy Ferriss

"Trying to get everyone to like you is a sign of mediocrity."
    - Colin Powell

Running the same distance burns more calories, in a shorter period of time. It also helps improve your VO2 max (oxygen capacity) and exercise your heart more than walking, so you'll get fitter and wont get out of breath as easy, as well as burn more cals. So it's a lot better for you, if your knees can handle it.

You could improve it still by doing HIIT, which pushes your heart rate and VO2 max higher still. But if you dont like running, you wont like running fast any more

Running/walking really isnt a substitute for a leg work-out and wont make your leg muscles grow (much).
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just try to run a few times a week, and walk the rest outside or incline.