Thread: Alcohol and my regime

Wannabebig Member

Alcohol and my regime

Were I to workout Mondays and Tuesdays, and drink Fridays and Saturdays (enough to get a little drunk on each occasion; perhaps two Beers (pints), two Ciders (pints) and two other drinks of similar alcoholic content (bottles of whatnot)), would my progress be inhibited too much? Let's assume I remember to drink plenty of water after returning home after each drinking session, perhaps even treating myself to a Protein Bar as well. Let's also assume that I manage, pretty much, to maintain my calorie intake spread across the appropriate number of meals, on the days after drinking, too.

I realise that the above may seem to describe too high a level of alcohol consumption, but hey: I'm young, and I like to enjoy myself. I just figured that perhaps, given the clear 72 hours between working out and drinking, the 'harm' done to my progress might be kept to a minimal. But what do you all think?
    Last edited by dyslexic_banana; 08-12-2004 at 02:15 PM.

Dude there was a time when I drank myself silly every Friday and Saturday along with a few nights during the week. I still worked out, but looking back I likely held back my gains quite significantly.

Yeah, you can drink in moderation-- I've had to restrict myself to Friday/Saturday partying, and making sure to take care of myself when I do that. Things have been going a lot better since.

It's a matter of goals and priorities. If you can drink on the weekends, take care of yourself, and keep hitting it, by all means do so.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

it depends a bit on ur age, for myself this is how it feels:
    drinkin 1 night per week: 10 steps forward, 3 steps back
    drinking 2 nights per week: 10 steps forward, 5 steps back
    pokin smot: 10 steps forward, 1 step back
    clean livin: 10 steps forward
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 08-12-2004 at 02:22 PM.

all things in moderation....that is, unless you have my genetics.

I don't drink...usually. One glass of wine, or one can of beer is usually about my limit. Yeah, sue me.

Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

u only workout 2 times a week?
    PROFILE, COMMENT PLZ
    My Journal

Motors, Music & Muscle HemiVision's Avatar
    I recently decided to cut out alcohol completely. I'd known for a long time that it slowed fitness progress, but I read something a couple weeks ago that was, I guess you could say, "sobering." I'm not sure where the number came from, but it said that drinking could inhibit fat loss by up to 36%. Considering how hard I work at my physique, I'd hate for over 1/3 of my effort to go to waste over a beverage or two.

Now my Scotch collection is reserved for special occaisions.

Banned
    I think when you start planning your workouts based on your drinking regimen you have a problem.

Seriously though, it's not necessary to give up drinking, but it will slow your progress. Separating the drinking and workouts by a few days may be "slightly" better, but you can't avoid the negatives of boozing no matter when you do it.

Wannabebig Member
    pfff, you can still drink and get big. You just aren't going to be a body-builder, which I don't want to be anyways. I maintain under 10% bodyfat even getting hammered 3-4 times a week, but thats probably genetics.

Not to say it doesn't affect your performance. Beer is hardly nutritious, and we all know nutrition is an important factor in lifting. Honestly though, you only live once, so just do what you are doing...except go to the damn gym more than 2 times a week if you want to grow. The beer won't affect your workout if you are never working out
    "I don't believe for a second weightlifting is a sport. They
    pick up a heavy thing and put it down again. To me, that's
    indecision"

Whatever. Look at Belial. Look at most strongmen. Look at Schwarzenegger. Look at every Scotsman. Drinking has quite a lot of correlation with being big and strong, as well as big and fat. I think people worry about it too much. If you're drinking so much that you have problems, then it's not bodybuilding you should be worrying about. Otherwise, you shouldn't worry so much about it.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the replies so far. I, personally, do have a strong desire to get muscular (as we all do, around here), but also to have a good time (conflicting? For sure.); as said, you only live once. Here in the UK, the drinking culture's quite strong, and, come the weekend, sobriety is usually something to be left behind. I'm more than willing to eat appropriately during the week, abstaining from alcohol completely, but staying in sober at weekends is perhaps a sacrifice too great; I don't wish for my whole life to revolve around bodybuilding.

Would drinking plenty of water and consuming a Protein Bar, upon returning from a night out, make a significant difference (obviously not enough to override the negative effects totally)? Any types of alcohol that would be less detrimental to my progress than others?

Alcohol is all the same. It is a poison that does damage to the body when it is ingested. Calories vary in the delivery (a shot vs. beer). Do drink plenty of water while you are drinking. Try to be full before you drink and avoid eating a lot once you are drinking. Your body will use the alcohol as fuel and store whatever you eat after as fat. Binge eating after binge drinking will just add to your problems.

Keeping your drinking to the weekends is a good idea. Do a search and you will find plenty of info on the effects of alcohol. It has a very damaging effect on Testosterone production. Not what you want to hear as a bodybuilder. But you only live once (unless your Hindu or Jesus) so enjoy the time you have. If that includes killing brain cells and acting like an idiot on the weekends, than by all means, go for it. Just remember that you will be inhibiting your training.

melt
    Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.

There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics. ~Benjamin Disraeli

It helps a lot if you take a healthy dose of vitamn B (complex), C, and E before and after a night out, and 30mg of 5-HTP along with 400mg of magnesium beforehand can help out quite a bit as well. Do this along with water and you'll be a lot better off.

Otherwise...I mean, I still drink fairly frequently and I'm doing ok.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock