The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Plz Help with Bicep Routine

I seem to be getting good gains, everywhere, except biceps. My biceps just don't seem to be getting any bigger. Do you think I am over working them?

I do 12-15 sets of biceps on the bicep/back day:

Seated Curls - 4 Sets (6-10reps)(per arm)
    Seated Hammers Curls - 4 sets(12-15reps)(per arm)(Lighter Weight)
    Barbell Curls (back against wall) - 3 Sets(6-10reps)
    Standing Curls - 2 Sets(4-5reps)(per arm)(Heavier Weight)
    Concentration Curls - 1 set (4-5reps)(per arm)(Heavier Weight)

*Reps Vary Based On Set #

I try to lift as heavy as i can always, I have noticed Strength improvement, but not size. I work bicep on average 2 times a week. Is this routine a little to much? Plz Help and Critique.
    Last edited by Xaust; 08-10-2004 at 08:40 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

That seems like too much volume, considering that you're already working your biceps on your back excercises.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Patrick
    That seems like too much volume, considering that you're already working your biceps on your back excercises.
    Yep.

All I do it 3 sets of BB curls and 2 sets of hammers.

Yeah, you're working those little muscles way too hard. Some of us believe that your biceps get worked enough when you train your back (assuming that you focus on big compound back exercises like you ought to). I'd say that you'd see better results if you train your back hard, and then do maybe 3 sets of barbell curls, if you must (way to go on keeping your back against a wall, btw).
    My other suggestion would be to eat more.
    Last edited by RickTheDestroyer; 08-10-2004 at 08:50 PM.

Banned
    I try to work back hard, but I put more into biceps I feel.

You're doing way too many sets of for biceps. Heck, in your case, I might suggest stopping working them directly for a few weeks.

Look at the WBB routines, and try for a equivalent volume of bicep work.

If you're doing biceps after back day, you probably need 2-3 sets at most. How many pullups do you do?

How does the rest of your routine look?

Banned
    So tell me what I need to cut out from that routine? And how much is a ideal ammount of sets/reps?

Banned
    mixmaster, I don't have chinups/pullups in my routine, i work back on the same day as bicep

Quote Originally Posted by Xaust
    mixmaster, I don't have chinups/pullups in my routine, i work back on the same day as bicep
    Do pullups, and then chinups.

Drop seated curls of all sorts, and especially drop concentration curls.

Do standing barbell curls with good form for 2 or 3 sets. Do one set of hammer curls with dumbells.

Banned
    My arm strength is not equal so I need more Db curls to even it out instead of bb, how bout this:

3 Sets Seated Curls
    2 Sets Barbell Curls
    3 Sets Hammer Curls

8 sets bicep? Sound better?

And then 2-3 sets of Chinups/Pullups?
    Last edited by Xaust; 08-10-2004 at 09:25 PM.

My arm strength is not equal so I need more Db curls to even it out instead of bb, how bout this:

3 Sets Seated Curls
    2 Sets Barbell Curls
    3 Sets Hammer Curls

8 sets bicep? Sound better?

And then 2-3 sets of Chinups/Pullups?
    No, no, no, and no. No. No no. no.

Zero sets seated curls. Not 8 sets of biceps.

Do pullups FIRST. Then chinups. Then rows. Then more rows. Then 3 sets of curls. Dumbells are fine. Do 3 sets, 2 normal, 1 hammer, all standing. That's it.

Stop wasting time doing so many sets of biceps, and stop hindering your gains by doing biceps first.

Banned
    okay ill try this out next time, and i still wanna do as heavy as i can right?

And now how bout chest day, how much sets should I aim for, right now i have 12 hard sets? should i keep it like that?

Also may I ask, what is so bad about seated curls, I thought it was better, I can't use my back to help me out? I thought they were the Best!
    Last edited by Xaust; 08-10-2004 at 09:41 PM.

okay ill try this out next time, and i still wanna do as heavy as i can right?

And now how bout chest day, how much sets should I aim for, right now i have 12 hard sets? should i keep it like that?

Also may I ask, what is so bad about seated curls, I thought it was better, I can't use my back to help me out? I thought they were the Best!
    Indeed, go heavy. Add weight if you find pullups too easy. Then do chinups, because of more bicep involvement, are easier, and they happen to be an excellent bicep exercise.

Aim for 6-10 reps in each set, including for biceps.

Seated curls are okay. You van probably do more weight with standing curls though, for a better overload on your biceps. Now, this doesn't mean that you should cheat -- indeed, keep very strict form -- but you should notice that you can move more weight.

You don't need 12 sets for chest either, unless you're very specifically doing very low reps per set. 6-9 is fine, not including warmup. Then add a few sets for tri's if you're doing a chest/tri day.

Banned
    Okay, thxs for help dude.

If you can do 14 sets without your arms falling off, you're not using heavy enough weights. Especially if you can then do a back exercise.

After my back exercises and 2-4 sets of 8-6-6-4 reps biceps, my bi's are so pumped and dead I can barely bend my arms any more anyway.

I'd say, go down to 2 or 3 sets. Make sure on the first set, you really go for it with a heavy weight to failure or one away from failure. 2-3 minute rest between sets. The exact type of curl you choose isnt as important.

Also, if you do this before Back, you may feel you cant work out your back effectively. Which is why people do Back first. That's up to the individual though.
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    ^ Are you the IRN-BRU that rips all the wrestling themes?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Rule of thumb when it comes to working a stubborn bodypart. Train it 3-4 times a week and it will grow. That said, try this:

Monday: Barbell Curl, 6x2 reps at 90% of 1RM
    Tuesday: Rest Biceps
    Wednesday: Preacher Curl, 2x12 at 70% of 1RM
    Thursday: Rest Biceps
    Friday: Incline Dumbbell Curl, 2x20 at 50% of your 1RM
    Saturday: Concentration Curl, 1x8 at 75% of your 1RM
    Sunday: Rest Biceps
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 08-11-2004 at 10:16 AM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    That makes no sense to me Maki. Less equals more in my experience, especially when it comes to tiny muscle groups.
    Last edited by JustinASU; 08-12-2004 at 04:50 PM.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

Quote Originally Posted by JustinASU
    That makes no sense to me Maki. Less equals more in my experience, especially when it comes to tiny muscle groups.

*** Sometimes more is better. Regardless of whether it is a tiny muscle group or a big one, the more a lift is performed the better the body becomes at that lift. In turn this will result in a stronger and bigger muscle. Of course one must take into account the variables that surround strength training.

In the example above I have focused on manipulating the volume using the frequency of workouts in a week rather than in one workout. Instead of hitting the muscle hard once a week, I have balanced it so that a proper stimulus can be applied frequently a number of times in a week.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I'm certainly no expert, but I do know what has been working for me. When I stopped doing curls and started basing my back workout on weighted neutral grip chins twice a week, I started seeing really great results. I won't say that this is the answer for everybody, but it's sure as hell working for me.

Banned
    Today, I was first day of the new and improved Bicep Day, and wow can I say it felt a lot better. I did 12 sets of Back followed by 4 sets of bicep. Great day. Thxs for your help guys, I think i See improvement in size already!!!

Great.