The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Blood Test - High Alkaline, High Peptides

I got blood work done; CBC, BCP, TSH and Urine Analysis, and everything was fine, except she mentioned my alkaline lelves to be a tad elevated (she suggested it be from medicine or perhaps alcohol, which can't be). I did my own research and discovered the following;

"Alkaline Phosphatase: Alkaline phosphatase is an enzyme that is found in all body tissue, but the most important sites are bone, liver, bile ducts and the gut. A high level of alkaline phosphatase in your blood may indicate bone, liver or bile duct disease. Certain drugs may also cause high levels. Growing children, because of bone growth, normally have a higher level than adults do. Low levels indicate low functioning adrenal glands, protein deficiency, malnutrition or more commonly, a deficiency in zinc."

i assumed that since low levels of alkaline can be due to protein deficienciy, malnutrition or a zinc deficiency it can be assume that perhaps i have the opposite, HIGH level of protein and too much zinc... i eat lots of tuna daily and my protein is at around 270g (i'm 177 at 5'10 and im 22) I will get the blood work done again in 6 months to check anyway... bloodwork from 2 years ago had my alkaline at normal range.

Ideas, suggestions, comments?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gonadius Maximus
    Alkaline phosphatase norm is 32-126 IU/L
    Do you know what yours was?
    Have you ever had hepatitus?

I'm a medical technologist (blood work) by profession. I've been doing this for almost 15 years.
    First, I must say ALP (Alk Phos) shouldn't really be worried about.
    Second, most of these "normal" ranges are derived from huge population studies, and are not "ideal" ranges. They should be called "average" ranges. At any rate, guess who's in those "normal" populations. The huge fat guy, who eats 7 hot dogs a day, and breaks a sweat getting out of his car.
    Eat right, drink your water. Eating a body building diet can do nothing but good, unless you have an existing renal (kidney) or liver problem. If your worried about it, get extra testing done on specific concerns. Also, don't freak out over ONE blood test. Get a couple done, some fasting, some non-fasting at 3-6 month intervals. Certainly don't sweat ALP unless your result is 19,000 IU/L or something.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

manofwar, i got a bunch of test done... hematology, chemistry, urine..etc... can these really detect so much? potential health probs, cardio disease, diabetes, etc...

btw, my alkaline was 135... also, BUN was 22. Another question, so if this "general population" is the standard, should i try to aim for the lower numbers?
    Last edited by frankm007; 08-16-2004 at 08:05 PM.

Lab tests can detect potential health problems, but as I said, you just shouldn't come to any conclusion based on 1 set of labs unless something is really critical. If your BUN was higher than 80 or 100, I would be concerned. Have it checked again in 3-4 months if it bothers you (it wouldn't bother me), make sure you drink enough water daily. I wouldn't even look at ALP (alkaline phosphatase) until it was in the thousands. ALP is everywhere, even on the surface of your skin. I'm not even sure why it's tested anymore, since it's not clinically significant most of the time. I'm not sure what your CBC looks like (the complete blood count is a great diagnostic tool, and can tell alot about immediate health, even cancer and pre-cancer), and unless you had lots of blood, white cells (leukocytes, or leukocyte esterase on some result printouts), glucose, bilirubin or urobilinogen in your urine, I wouldn't worry about it either.
    As for "normal ranges", some analytes are actually more harmful when low than high. Very low total cholesterol, for example, is much more damaging to your immediate health than a high cholesterol.
    Keep in mind that a BB diet is very rich in nutrients. Many things will run around the upper edge of "normal ranges" or even a bit higher. If you get a cardiac workup done 6-8 hours after an intense workout, you will likely be admitted for observation by any doctor who wants to "play it safe" as your CK, and CKMB results will be elevated, and these enzymes are indicators for heart attack.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy