Thread: Hack squat vs normal squat

Hack squat vs normal squat

Here's the deal, I'm 6'4" and am worried about what sort of squat I should be doing. I read an article by some famous body builder guy (who's name I forget) who gave up on squats and started doing hack squats because he felt that at 5'11" he was too tall for regular squats and that they were just too hard on his lower back.
    One of my priorities with doing squats is to develop an iron butt (which I haven't achieved yet, but I've only been training properly about 8 months). I do deadlifts, which work the lower back well anyway, so should I just lump for the hack squat instead? Surely that works the legs, and butt just as well as the regular squat, albeit without the stress on the lower back.

Personnally I feel hack squats wouldn't be ideal for gluts. I feel more glut involvement at the bottom of ATF squats and very little with hacks. Have you considered front squats? Also, SLDL's are a great exercise for gluts/hammies.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Regular squats are better overall, especially for glute development.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Under Construction
    From personal experience, nothing will build glutes/hams/hips like deep squats. For quads front squats, close stance hacks and close stance leg press are good.
    Just one guy's opinion.

Wannabebig Member
    i dont do much squats (until recently) as i dont hv a spotter and hence a bit cautious of doing heavy weights. pref leg presses.
    But i several months ago i started doing BB lunges. i started with very low weight and gradually increased it. However it is a bit of a balancing act and requires practice. personally i found that i did get an 'iron butt' from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max
    Here's the deal, I'm 6'4" and am worried about what sort of squat I should be doing. I read an article by some famous body builder guy (who's name I forget) who gave up on squats and started doing hack squats because he felt that at 5'11" he was too tall for regular squats and that they were just too hard on his lower back.
    Any easy solution to overworking your back as a tall person (which I did do -- squats + SLDLs + deads every week was creating strength imbalances) is to prefatigue your leg muscles. I recommend lunges for this purpose as they are an awesome compound leg exercise anyway, and they don't stress your lower back at all. Then do squats. You legs will be tired, but your back will be fresh, so you don't have to worry about it.

Do hack squats and SLDL's ... should grow your quads and hamstrings well as a replacement to full squats.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I know alot of guys who are very tall and still don't have a problem squatting; one of which is 6'3 and squats 405 for a double. I think squatting is something you just have to work at to perfect.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Offtopic:
    CC is that possible Cam Hawkshay?
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Cam Hawkshay? Not sure who that is, lol. The guy is someone from my wrestling training.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

OK, he's a powerlifter from the GTA I beleive(somewhere in ontario for sure)
    He's tall and has a big squat so I figured i'd ask.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style