Thread: Running and squatting

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Running and squatting

I'm sure there's another one of these on the board somewhere, but I couldn't find one... would there be any severely negative effects if I did squats and ran on days I wasn't working legs? I heard my squat would drop, but I just started doing them so I'm not too concerned with them. I'm more afraid of overtraining, or not getting that testosterone increase thing that comes with squats that everyone is always swearing by.

Running on off days is fine.
    Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze Gretchen......

As long as you increase your calories to compensate for more energy expenditure, you'll be fine and get the strength benefits of squats and cardio benefits of running.

Quote Originally Posted by Homz
    I'm sure there's another one of these on the board somewhere, but I couldn't find one... would there be any severely negative effects if I did squats and ran on days I wasn't working legs? I heard my squat would drop, but I just started doing them so I'm not too concerned with them. I'm more afraid of overtraining, or not getting that testosterone increase thing that comes with squats that everyone is always swearing by.
    It's possible to overtrain. Long distance running, done on a regular basis, will hinder your strength and power performance.

Banned
    I wouldn't be worried about overtraining, that's a word that's thrown around way too often on these boards.

That being said, running on the days before your leg workout could very well decrease your strength, and running on days after your leg workout could very well slow potential growth.

Funny, you should ask this because I'm kinda screwing around with something like this now. One thing I can tell you is that you don't want to run first, then squat. You'll kill yourself under an avalanche of falling plates. Do it the other way around. Running, esp long distance, sucks muscle glycogen stores dry. Makes for a dangerous lift after, if you're attempting any real weight. Anyway, what I've been doing is 50yard 'all out' sprints after my workout. I do 10-12 of these after training total body (hacks & leg presses), on my high volume days (once a week). I've been doing this for about 3 weeks now (in fact I'll be doing them again tomorrow), and I've noticed better lifts on my heavy days, and I sleep a hell of lot better on the nights when I do them .

DJ
    = 8-->{I>