Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maurice Greene

Quote Originally Posted by galileo
    I doubt very much the accuracy of these claims.
    Doubt all you want. But I wasn't lying.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Shane
    Doubt all you want. But I wasn't lying.
    I dont think he was doubting you...just the accuracy of your friends 4.3
    because these timings are not typically done fully automated.
    Taking a sprint time with a stop watch is like eyeballing a fast ball, completely inaccurate.

Also, most colleges dont go for max benching, rather they rely on formulas to calculate a max bench so that they can be used in periodized training.
    So its possible his max bench wasn't a "true" bench...either way, not much of a contention, a max bench of 365 for a 200lb individual is good, and wouldn't be to difficult to attain naturally.

The world IPF junior (19-23) powerlifting world record for a 200lb individual is 566 to give you an idea of what superb would be. http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/ipf_worldrecords.htm

Geoff, I can understand that. But I know very well how they were measured and the accuracy. I was an exercise science major and interned in our strength & conditioning facility and I was there. As far as accuracy: The time on the 40 was 4.37. It was measured with a Speedtrap timing system on a track. As far as the bench press, I worked out with my roommate. He did the max when we were lifitng in the S & C facility. And many universities DO have athletes do an actual max bench. The head strength coach here is a good S&C coach. The whole reason I posted that in the first place was because it's starting to get annoying whenever someone sees an athletic feat that's above their current ability and immediately shouts that the person must be on gear. So like I said, anyone can doubt what I said all they want. But they'll be wrong.

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

I think if you had stated the accuracy like you just did there wouldn't have been any doubt.

Thats interesting about the max bench thing though, maybe its a regional thing.
    I can't rationalize the benefit of doing actual max benching though, but I supposed you'd have more experience at different places than I! I was just speaking from the 3-4 places I'd heard about (and the one I was at).

Geoff, sorry man, maybe I should have. I didn't think it would be necessary to post how they were measured. Actually the only strength & conditioning facility I've spent quite a bit of time in was our own. What I know about how other coaches trained was second hand knowledge from one of the strength coaches or something I read. When the program is set up for the next group of athletes there is a lot of time to pick the strength coaches brain. So what I know about that is second hand knowledge from the head strength coach, one of the assistants, or some other strength coach I was fortunate enough to meet (which admittedly weren't many). From what I hear, some do it both ways. But you also have to figure, some strength coaches realize that many of the athletes are going to want to test their max at some point, so it's better to do it under the coaches supervision than on their own. Of course, the counter-argument is if the athlete gets hurt then the strength coach may be held responsible. So some coaches will and some wont. But in the case of my friend, he did it while we were working out on our own in the S&C facility in the off-season. As far as testing philosophy, I don't think it's a regional thing. I think it varies from school to school and coach to coach. The strength coach doesn't even always have a final say in athletes exercise program. For example, here the baseball team did a circuit program that I thought was lame and know the head strength coach wasn't all too thrilled with. But the baseball coach has the final say on how the baseball players are trained and he's pretty old-fashioned. Since he's ultimately responsible for the teams success and makes the big $, the strength coach has to let him have his way. The head S & C here thinks a lot like some of us do. The smith machine is used to hold jump ropes and lifting belts, there's two glute-ham raise machines from elitefts, and there's a well-read copy of Supertraining sitting on the bookshelf in his office.
    Last edited by Shane; 08-24-2004 at 04:14 PM.

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia

The world IPF junior (19-23) powerlifting world record for a 200lb individual is 566 to give you an idea of what superb would be. http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/ipf_worldrecords.htm
    With equipment.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

The bronze medal was a victory for Maurice Greene. No one who knows track pegged him as a serious medal favorite. He is one of the greatest sprinters of all-time. I was very happy for him.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth