The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: What would YOU have done?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would have stayed calm and called for back up.

12 70.59%
  • I wouldn't have given him any warnings before shooting him.

2 11.76%
  • It's OK to shoot drunk people in the back.

2 11.76%
  • I not only would have shot him but also would have violated him with a branch.

3 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Whats the world coming to (Part 2): Woman Cop Shoots Suspect In Back

Trooper involved in shooting returns to patrol duties

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- The Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper who shot a fleeing drunken driving suspect in the back last June has returned to her patrol duties.
    Kevin Ward, acting public safety commissioner, said he could not disclose any disciplinary action that may have been taken against Trooper Laketa Anderson ''because it is a personnel matter.''

Ward, however, said she has resumed her patrol duties with Troop A in Oklahoma City.

Last month, Oklahoma County District Attorney Wes Lane said Anderson made ''a split-second mistake'' when she shot Justin Lyle Thomas, but charges against the trooper were not warranted.

Anderson, 24, is the first female, black trooper to graduate from the Oklahoma Highway Patrol Academy and has been a trooper for 1đ years.

The shooting occurred after Anderson pulled Thomas over for speeding on Interstate 35 in south Oklahoma City and gave him a sobriety test.

A OHP videotape showed Thomas, 21, was shot as he fled toward his truck. He has recovered from his wounds..
    http://www.ardmoreite.com/stories/10..._trooper.shtml

Trooper shoots suspect in the back!

(Skip to the last minute or so to see the shooting)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It's funny that little things like the article having to mention that she's female and black bother me.

Are they implying that she was not disciplined due to race? If so say so, otherwise leave out such a detail that is quite irrelevant.

If he is drunk and running to his vehicle is he not presenting a danger by getting back in and starting a high speed chase? Or was he running for a gun?

Tough call on this one.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

wtf was that?

"Put your hands behind your back or I will shoot you"?

wow.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

I agree, it is a tough call.

Notice how I didn’t write “black” in the title of my thread…

I do believe that if this was a white cop who outnumber a black woman in the back it would have been a totally different story and I’m sure that it would have been all over the news in every single state.

shouldn't apprehend the suspect be an option?
    I'd assume that on a drunk driving stop backup is already on the way.
    I'd also assume it would be the officers responsibility to do what they could to prevent the suspect from getting back in the vehicle, which would involve some sort of physical restraint.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    If he is drunk and running to his vehicle is he not presenting a danger by getting back in and starting a high speed chase?
    not enough of a danger to be shot.
    Otherwise cops would just shoot all drunk drivers, pulled over or not

Was he running for a gun?
    I didn't think cops could shoot you just for holding a gun? I thought you had to be aiming it at them, which gives them the self defense argument to shoot first.

the article having to mention that she's female and black bother me.

Are they implying that she was not disciplined due to race?

If so say so, otherwise leave out such a detail that is quite irrelevant.
    I highly doubt that is what they are implying, they are just giving her historic significance, that she was the first black female Oklahoma Trooper.

If this lady had won the lottery I'm sure they would include that she was the 1st female trooper fact also.
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 08-19-2004 at 11:20 AM.

I really don't know what to think. You could look at it from the point of view that if he did get in the truck he might have ended up killing an innocent bystander.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

It's funny that little things like the article having to mention that she's female and black bother me.

Are they implying that she was not disciplined due to race? If so say so, otherwise leave out such a detail that is quite irrelevant.
    Probably because the only reason this woman got a job in law enforcement in the first place, and still has one is because of Affirmative Action. This incident happened a long time ago and how many of you heard about it? Can you imagine if the victim had been black and the cop had been white? They would still be talking about it.

Heres a link to a forum full of cops discussing the matter if you want some real insight into what should have been done. http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...n&pagenumber=1
    Last edited by -sin-; 08-19-2004 at 11:36 AM.

Well, I'm not sure, but he did repeatedly not follow directions. She had to tell him numerous times to "keep your hands out of your pockets". She was out of line with all the, "I'm going to shoot you", "That's what you get", and "I'm going to shoot you again" statements.

I agree with TripleP that had the roles been reversed there would have been much more attention to the situation.
    The half-million citizens of the District of Columbia, like citizens of the fifty states, bear all of the obligations of American citizenship: they are required to obey the laws passed by Congress; they pay federal taxes; they serve in the military; and they fight and die in our wars. Yet they lack the most basic right that should accompany American citizenship—the right to full voting representation in Congress. This makes the United States the only nation in the world with a representative, democratic constitution that denies citizens of its capital representation in the national legislature. In fact, no fewer than 183 nations provide their citizens the type of representation citizens of Washington, DC are denied.

Quote Originally Posted by -sin-
    Probably because the only reason this woman got a job in law enforcement in the first place, and still has one is because of Affirmative Action.
    I would be real careful with this statement since you have no way of knowing why or how she became a cop. You can't just assume because she is female or black that she got the job because of affirmative action. Statements like that are exactly the reason why I'm not in favor of affirmative action. It's like as soon as we get a job or education, it is automatically assumed that we must have been "helped" in order to get it.
    Last edited by TBone4Eva; 08-19-2004 at 11:53 AM.
    The half-million citizens of the District of Columbia, like citizens of the fifty states, bear all of the obligations of American citizenship: they are required to obey the laws passed by Congress; they pay federal taxes; they serve in the military; and they fight and die in our wars. Yet they lack the most basic right that should accompany American citizenship—the right to full voting representation in Congress. This makes the United States the only nation in the world with a representative, democratic constitution that denies citizens of its capital representation in the national legislature. In fact, no fewer than 183 nations provide their citizens the type of representation citizens of Washington, DC are denied.

You didn't read that thread from the cop forum I take it...

Here are some snippets:

"I currently work with a former OSP trooper who is familiar with the trooper and the current aftermath at the agency. The following is what was told to me by him and he has the inside skinny.

She was the first black trooper recruit in Oklahoma. She atttempted to quit the academy three times but the brass talked her into staying. She is viewed by her peers as dangerous (even before the incident). She is back on full duty working days in Oklahoma City. Department morale is at an all time low (other factors contribute to this, but this one is hitting them when they are already down)." -Stratman

"I actually spoke with a OHP trooper that was ALMOST her FTO. He wasn't because he wrote several letters to high ranking members of OHP basicly refusing to train her. Why? Because he saw her in the academy. She should have washed out according to him. Several instructors recommended that she be washed out but the powers that be refused.

She also couldn't qualify on the range. She shot nothing but 40 out of 100 all through qualifying. Then she somehow magicly improved when a black supervisor took her out to the range, just the 2 of them. She "shot" an 80. I bet the guy she shot is glad she wasn't a better shot!

She was ALSO recommended for dismissal by whoever actually ended up training her. Also ignored." - Chief Wiggum
    Last edited by -sin-; 08-19-2004 at 12:01 PM.

Are they implying that she was not disciplined due to race?
    Why not? If she was white and the drunk was black, she'd be a racist. This is the same kind of wrong.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by -sin-
    You didn't read that thread from the cop forum I take it...

Here are some snippets:

"I currently work with a former OSP trooper who is familiar with the trooper and the current aftermath at the agency. The following is what was told to me by him and he has the inside skinny.

She was the first black trooper recruit in Oklahoma. She atttempted to quit the academy three times but the brass talked her into staying. She is viewed by her peers as dangerous (even before the incident). She is back on full duty working days in Oklahoma City. Department morale is at an all time low (other factors contribute to this, but this one is hitting them when they are already down)." -Stratman

"I actually spoke with a OHP trooper that was ALMOST her FTO. He wasn't because he wrote several letters to high ranking members of OHP basicly refusing to train her. Why? Because he saw her in the academy. She should have washed out according to him. Several instructors recommended that she be washed out but the powers that be refused.

She also couldn't qualify on the range. She shot nothing but 40 out of 100 all through qualifying. Then she somehow magicly improved when a black supervisor took her out to the range, just the 2 of them. She "shot" an 80. I bet the guy she shot is glad she wasn't a better shot!

She was ALSO recommended for dismissal by whoever actually ended up training her. Also ignored." - Chief Wiggum
    I'm guessing she wasn't washed out for being incompetent because she was black and the NAACP would cry over it. If you're incompetent, get out, regardless of anything.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

I don't know the exact circumstances, but I'll bet they were being pressured by some bureaucrat to "diversify" their police force even if it meant hiring someone that wasn't qualified.

It looks like she improved on her shooting skillz.
    My Journal

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

Quote Originally Posted by superior_will
    Why not? If she was white and the drunk was black, she'd be a racist. This is the same kind of wrong.
    Wow, that's the least intelligent thing so far in this thread. Because it's wrong one way, we have to be consistently wrong another way?

Nice logic there.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by superior_will
    I'm guessing she wasn't washed out for being incompetent because she was black and the NAACP would cry over it. If you're incompetent, get out, regardless of anything.
    I think we should drop the race and gender aspect of this as none of us have enough proper information to say one way or the other.
    Last edited by TBone4Eva; 08-19-2004 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone4Eva
    I think we should drop the race and gender aspect of this as none of us have enough proper information to say one way or the other.
    Agreed.

LMAO at the branch.

I think she should of shot him in the leg. lol.
    Last edited by Shane; 08-19-2004 at 01:35 PM.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Its amazing how much racist sentiment is still harbored in the minds of the general public today. If that forum is any indication of how officers in LA think, then it would explain the horrid experiences i have had with them.

the officer had the right to shoot.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Care to elaborate on that?

Hey, this reminds me. where is JD77 lately? He should be in on these threads.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

if the suspect is fleeing, an officer has the right to protect themself first. it is their judgement (and we as a society grant them that right to judgement) to decide if their life is in danger or not.

if i were a cop (maybe i am not brave enough, which is why i respect MOST cops), i would probably have done the same thing. a drunk suspect starts to flee, the possibilities are endless, one of those possibilities is a drunk with lowered inhibitions who may be going for a weapon. the story says he recovered from his wounds so she did NOT fatally wound him, which is OK with me.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

6'2"
    273 lbs.

another possibilty is that the suspect was going to hop in and go on a high speed drunk chase. so i ask you, is it better that:

1) the drunk guy who may drive wrecklessly and harm/kill other motorists gets shot(not killed)?

2) the drunk guy gets into his vehicle and drives into other motorists, possibly harming or killing them?

i choose #1

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Footballer
    Are you joking Mr. Webb, there is like soo many different options before using your gun, your gun is the very last use of force, she could have pepper sprayed him, tazered him, handcuffed him, she was completely out of line the whole stop.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

She couldn't have been that out of line because she still has her job. Obviously she tried to handcuff him but he resisted and fled. I think she had to be more intimidating with threating to shoot because she was a female. Ya it was prolly a mistake to shoot him but there must have been some justification to if the review board didn't fire her or press charges.
    My Journal