The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

designing a legs day.

I could use some input on the legs. Today was the first day of my fall routine. Monday is a leg day. Here is what I did, please answe any questions you can.

Squats.

8 @ 94 lbs
    8 @ 104
    7 @ 114
    5 @ 114
    5 @ 114

I am new to the squats, I go down as far as i can and my ass hits my ankles. Is it better to go this far or just a bit passed paralell. I notice i can go up another 30-50 lbs if i dont go down as far. But i dont want to be one of those guys who loads up 500 lbs, does a little curtzy, and calls it a squat.

Calf Raises.

8 @ 165
    8 @ 175
    8 @ 185
    8 @ 185

For these I use a "calf machine" I stand on a ledge and lower my body until my toes are pointing up, then up to full extention. I think these are fine.

Leg Extentions.

8 @ 172
    8 @ 172
    8 @ 172

What is this called? I sit on a machine, tuck my legs under myself, and then straigten my legs. Is this a leg extention?

Leg Contraction? (hamstrings)

8 @ 165
    8 @ 165
    8 @ 165

Also a machine opposite of what is described above. I notice that this kinda busts my nuts, Is it better to use the machine that lays you on your stomach and does the same movement?

Thats all I do for legs, then i do some abs stuff and go home. I am brand new to a legs only kind of day. Is thios day enough? i plan on doing it once a week for now. I am currently cutting (for the first time) SO i really want the form correct before i go to bulking. Also what is the view on using machines for legs? is there a better method? please share.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    I'm not a fan of leg extensions, they are hard on my knees. Think about adding stiff-legged deadlifts, they are a really good hamstring exercise. I also really like walking lunges, maybe add a couple sets of those in place of leg extensions?

I'd scrap the leg extensions (they're bad for your knees, and kind of worthless IMO), and only do the leg curls if you really want. I'd suggest adding a few more sets of squats too.
    I prefer to work in a lower rep range with squats- 3 to 5 does me pretty well. I warm up light ATF (like you're doing, ass to my ankles), then I do a couple heavier sets of about 5 to a little below parallel, do three work sets of 3 or so (sometimes forced, if need be) and then I back down and do two sets of 6 to 8, really low.
    Then I do calves and hobble to the car.
    Sometimes I'll do some leg curls too, but when you squat low enough your hammies get hit too. My other leg day is deadlifts (similar rep range, but no backing down) and then lightish, low front squats, and then calves.

If you squat right, I don't really think that you need much else.

That sounds pretty good, is it wrong to do squats and deadlifts the same day? I have never done deadlifts. Should a leg day turn into a squat day?
    Last edited by Podcore; 08-16-2004 at 09:03 PM.

hammin'
    Not to hijack your thread, but I was considering starting a similar one... so I figure I'd just post here. I can't do squats as of now, for 2 reasons - one being a rib injury that gives me bad pain when I squat, the other being that I sprained my knee recently and I'm wanting to start doing full squats when both issues have been dealt with.

Anyway, how does this look?

Hack squats 2 x 6-8
    Stepup 2 x 6-8
    Walking lunges 2 x 6-8
    SLDL 2 x 8-10 (might sub in good mornings bi-weekly)
    Calf raises 2 x 15-20

I do deadlifts on back day, also.
    Last edited by trich daddy; 08-16-2004 at 11:40 PM.
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

Down with the Sickness
    I would say work up to your 1 rep max everytime you workout to get stronger add 5 to ten lbs every week or every other week. Looks to me like you hit 114 and stop progressing upwards in weight keep going up.

I agree with scrapping the leg extensions they are crap, and also do stiff leg deadlifts.

Now get to work

whats wrong with leg curls and leg extensions?

Quote Originally Posted by Podcore
    That sounds pretty good, is it wrong to do squats and deadlifts the same day? I have never done deadlifts. Should a leg day turn into a squat day?
    I do DL's on back day, not the same day, this is difficult to perform with heavy loads on both exercises. My leg day is pretty much squat day.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    :withstupi ?
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    They are okay, besides the potential for knee injury with extensions. There are better compound exercises that you should spend your time with before you consider anything so specialized. Here's a short list, in no particular order:
    Squats
    Deads
    Stiff-legged deads
    Lunges
    Walking lunges
    Leg press
    Glute-ham raises

I've been searching google and haven't found anything about knee injuries resulting from leg extensions...in fact everything I have come up with shows that leg extensions are used for knee injury rehabilitation.

IMHO all the hoopla around squats is based on the fact that it uses "more" weight.

If your goal is to activate every single muscle in your body, from your calves, hamstrings, quads, abs, glutes, traps, etc then squats are the ticket.
    By the time you factor in all the extra muscles that are helping lift the weight then the amount of exertion done by your quads is near the same as done by an isolation move such as leg extensions (or so I would guess)

Sure squats'll burn more calories since your using more muscles in the same 5-20 second window. But for getting larger quads, and if your goal is muscle hypertrophy, I dont understand why an isolated movement like a leg extension doesn't activate just as many fibers as squats.
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 08-17-2004 at 11:37 AM.

Well, basically my answer is: whatever, I do what I want!

I don't care if leg extensions are equally effective at quad stimulation. It's all about efficiency for me, so I might as well do a few compound exercises. Sure, I throw in others like extensions from time to time, just for fun, but compounds are worth it just for the time savings alone.

Thanks for the advice guys and Thanks trich I will use your routine to help improve mine.

The risk of leg extensions being bad on the knees is exaggerated. When I was rehabbing my pulled hammy I had to do them and I've seen people do them in a couple physical therapy clinics I've hung out in for classes as part of rehab for some knee surgeories. As long as they aren't the main exercise for a leg workout they can be a good addition to your workout. I would definitely keep some sort of leg curl exercise in the workout since the job of the hamstring is not only hip extension, but knee flexion. Personally, I would do the leg curls and leg extensions after squats and probably stiff-legged deadlifts. I would do calves after that or in a separate workout. But other then that your workout looks fine.

Doing deadlifts and squats on the same day would probably be overkill.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by sublime99
    I would say work up to your 1 rep max everytime you workout to get stronger add 5 to ten lbs every week or every other week. Looks to me like you hit 114 and stop progressing upwards in weight keep going up.

I agree with scrapping the leg extensions they are crap, and also do stiff leg deadlifts.

Now get to work

What do you mean by 1 rep max everytime you work out? I hear it all the time... I know i will need a spotter to determine my maximum rep for a particular exercise.. Do you mean use it as a warm up? or what else?

Banned
    Not only can maxing out on squats be dangerous, but doing it every workout would be overkill. This is not how one goes about increasing strength.

Down with the Sickness
    Vido what works for you might not work for me and the same goes for him, everyone is different. I work up to my one rep max every time i do legs chest and back and every week i see a 2.5 to 5 lbs increase in my 1 rep max, now do i do it all the time no i cycle it 6 weeks on 3 off. in the 3 off i work up in reps not weight but i still work up to the weight i left off at and just try for reps. Does he have to max out on squats no he can max on like leg press and leg extensions and hack squats, by doing this he can increase his squat. Try it and i bet you will get stronger.
    Last edited by sublime99; 08-26-2004 at 03:27 PM.

Down with the Sickness
    Pyro what i mean is if your max is lets say 280 on bench you work you sets like this: warm up set 1 205 x whatever set 2 225x whatever set3 245x whatever set 4 265x whatever set 5 1 max rep at 280 every week or every other week add 2.5 to 5lbs

Frank Zane-ification
    Quote Originally Posted by Podcore
    I am new to the squats, I go down as far as i can and my ass hits my ankles. Is it better to go this far or just a bit passed paralell.
    DON'T BEND YOUR KNEES ALL THE WAY!! You'll ruin your knees forever. If you're just starting out, do squats slightly below parallel, until you start adding on weight, and do it in complete control, and try using only your legs as much as possible (less strain on the back). When you work your way up with weights, you can begin doing them parallel to the floor, and there's also many directions you can point your toes to work on different parts of the thighs.
    Last edited by EviscerationX; 08-26-2004 at 04:36 PM.
    "Hey skinny, I can see your ribs!" - Arnold Schwarzenegger