The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: Who here is built, and smoke marijuana occasionally?

Voters
535. You may not vote on this poll
  • I smoke occasionally

223 41.68%
  • I do not smoke

285 53.27%
  • No comment

27 5.05%
Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
    In vein

Who here smokes marijuana yet has a great body?

I am doing a study in one of my classes to investigate how many people here lift hard, have a nice body, and smoke marijuana. Some people say marijuana hinders progress, however I think (and speaking from experience) as long as you have a sound nutrition program, workout with intensity, and use weed responsibly it will not effect gains too much. THe way I look at it, I get plenty of protein and other foods, workout hard and do everything else right, there is no possible way smoking a bowl or two late at night will hinder my progrerss. You can remain anonymous if you want, but plewase vote on the poll. Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

put a - smoke occasionally but does not have great body and a smoke and has a great body and a does not smoke an has a great body option
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

3:16
    if it did hinder your progress, would you stop smoking it?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    I dont smoke but I know some people who do/did that look good. Problem is, it makes u lazy which means u wont train as hard.

From age 14-19 I smoked daily.... a whole whole lot. But I havent smoked since and I feel much better.

I smoke 1-3 times per year. If this small amount hindered my progress noticably I would quit.

In vein
    Quote Originally Posted by body
    if it did hinder your progress, would you stop smoking it?

Yes I'd stop.

Problem is, it makes u lazy which means u wont train as hard.
    See, this is why I smoke only late at night. I NEVER EVER EVER smoke during the day or before a workout. NEVER. Only late at night when nothing else is going on and my bodybuilding deeds have been fulfilled for the day.

- SsiK

Most of the ppl that I know do it I really don't get along with in school. Plus since it's illegal and harmful I don't do it, it's in my category of "it does you no good and harms your health, also costing money."
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

as for the fellow that said thats why he only smokes late at night, man i use to smoke late at night and wake up high still in the morning after 9 hours of sleep ... i dono maybe i smoked harder. and if this post is some stoners attempt to insure his growth at the same time as smoke his ass off, quit lookin for excuses that weed is ok, either quit the dope or quit lifting, bottom line. i did it, u can too.

I read once taht MJ hinders testosterone production. But to be honest, I attributed that to anti-drug propaganda. It's just like a lot of the myths you hear about steroids meant to scare you (not that steroids don't have side effects and cause problems)
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

MilliVanilli
    My friends 'little' brother started smoking weed and got 'uber' big and lean. He drinks a lot too, yet he's leaning than myself and his bro and he's got damn good size for a 16yo kid

Quote Originally Posted by superior_will
    Most of the ppl that I know do it I really don't get along with in school. Plus since it's illegal and harmful I don't do it, it's in my category of "it does you no good and harms your health, also costing money."

you're a high school student who is a conservative and already figured out weed is stupid(for the most part)

I you

Now go out and educate your friends
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by ianack4life
    My friends 'little' brother started smoking weed and got 'uber' big and lean. He drinks a lot too, yet he's leaning than myself and his bro and he's got damn good size for a 16yo kid

fuggin genetics

Quote Originally Posted by AzBboy
    as for the fellow that said thats why he only smokes late at night, man i use to smoke late at night and wake up high still in the morning after 9 hours of sleep ... i dono maybe i smoked harder. and if this post is some stoners attempt to insure his growth at the same time as smoke his ass off, quit lookin for excuses that weed is ok, either quit the dope or quit lifting, bottom line. i did it, u can too.
    I'm not sure why people say things like this lol. It's like the guy at the party who drinks 2 beers and acts like he's just eaten 10 hits of acid. It's chemically impossible to be high from marijuanna for 9 hours unless you're continually smoking during that time period. Marijuana is a VERY weak drug, much much weaker than alcohol or over the counter drugs. Any drug that you can consume as much as you like and not over-dose on is weak. I don't really feel it conflicts with my training, but I only smoke once or twice a month now. If you're someone who smokes all day, then I can guarantee it will effect a lot things you do, along with training.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Bigger every day!
    I agree with HahnB, if you where stoned for more then 9 hours your S*** must have been mixed with other drugs. You can NOT get high for that long without smoking continually.

Now, I am not saying that it is easy, but if you smoke... eat proper while you are high. Never workout high. Get the stuff you need to get done prior to smoking and you will be fine.

I do not think this post was about why you dont smoke, but if you do smoke can you still have a fairly fit body.

I started smoking after 6 months of working out and have not noticed any performace drops (and yes i am still gaining). I now smoke 5-6 times a week, but never in the morning etc etc.

Please do not bash me as i am aware that smoking might affect your gains, but so does drinking/not eating properly/not getting enought sleep. If we are talking about cardio gains... then YES it will affect your gains (as you lungs will not work as well)

In my opinion if you have choose to goto a party and have a "substance" related fun.. smoke don't drink.. @ least you will not be hung over or nearly as dehydrated the next morning.

Let the Pot bashing begin!

Well, one thing for sure, weed giving you the munchies will definitely help bring in the calories on a bulk .
    The half-million citizens of the District of Columbia, like citizens of the fifty states, bear all of the obligations of American citizenship: they are required to obey the laws passed by Congress; they pay federal taxes; they serve in the military; and they fight and die in our wars. Yet they lack the most basic right that should accompany American citizenship—the right to full voting representation in Congress. This makes the United States the only nation in the world with a representative, democratic constitution that denies citizens of its capital representation in the national legislature. In fact, no fewer than 183 nations provide their citizens the type of representation citizens of Washington, DC are denied.

marijuana is a very weak drug? dude i know people that forget where they are all the sudden. i know people that fall asleep talking or standing up, i know people that forget what they are saying mid - sentence. scary thing is is that some of these people havent smoked in months but still have these effects. yet weed is incredibly weak...

alcohol has many many

many many many

more harmful effects on your body than does marijuana.

in college i smoked before my workouts and i was strong like bull.

i don't care for it anymore, but to categorically dismiss the wonders of the herb is a bit uninformed and close-minded.

Wannabebig New Member
    Alright ... I'm an expert on this .

I smoke sometimes , I'm succesful at work and I'm a pretty big boy .

I have friends that are extremely succesful financially and some are about 40 years old and big , lean dudes .

Pot isnt anywhere near as bad as alchohol . Pot is all about ones own attitude . Losers fall into a life of nothingness .

Winners with drive smoke to relax and feel good .

My little brother is a bigwig at one of the dirt bike companies in the marketing field . He smokes all the time and gets some great ideas from chilling by himself and smoking pot . He is famous there for his off the wall , lucrative ideas . They love him .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

marijuana is a very weak drug? dude i know people that forget where they are all the sudden. i know people that fall asleep talking or standing up, i know people that forget what they are saying mid - sentence. scary thing is is that some of these people havent smoked in months but still have these effects. yet weed is incredibly weak...
    You can't hold marijuana accountable if someone you know suddenly forgets where they are. I hate to say it, but some crayons just aren't the brightest in the box. If they fall asleep while they're talking-standing up, I would suspect they dabble in a little more than marijuana. Marijuana causes short-term memory loss, but then again a totaly sober person can forget what they just said a second before. Like I said, any drug that you can consume incredible amounts of in one sitting and not wind up in the hospital is too weak to really get anyone that high. People like to act a lot more drunk/high than they really are to get attention. That is probably what causes most of the things you see people do when consuming alcohol or other recreasional drugs.
    Last edited by HahnB; 08-26-2004 at 09:01 PM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

In vein

Nahh, I seriously doubt you smoked "harder." I don't know of anyone who smokes and sleeps 9 hours later then wakes up the next morning and STILL feels high. You might want to check into that, you might have been smokin' crack.

Oh yeah, and you can still smoke and grow. I don't know if that's what you were implying, but all I know is I smoke and I just keep getting bigger. If everything else is in check (which for me it DEFINATELY is) then a little marijuana won't hurt too much.

- SsiK

In vein
    Quote Originally Posted by Da_Man
    I agree with HahnB, if you where stoned for more then 9 hours your S*** must have been mixed with other drugs. You can NOT get high for that long without smoking continually.

Now, I am not saying that it is easy, but if you smoke... eat proper while you are high. Never workout high. Get the stuff you need to get done prior to smoking and you will be fine.

I do not think this post was about why you dont smoke, but if you do smoke can you still have a fairly fit body.

I started smoking after 6 months of working out and have not noticed any performace drops (and yes i am still gaining). I now smoke 5-6 times a week, but never in the morning etc etc.

Please do not bash me as i am aware that smoking might affect your gains, but so does drinking/not eating properly/not getting enought sleep. If we are talking about cardio gains... then YES it will affect your gains (as you lungs will not work as well)

In my opinion if you have choose to goto a party and have a "substance" related fun.. smoke don't drink.. @ least you will not be hung over or nearly as dehydrated the next morning.

Let the Pot bashing begin!

You make some good points. I ALWAYS make sure everything else is done first. I don't smoke usually till past 11 P.M. anyway. By the way, I've read studies, and it doesn't lower testosterone.

- SsiK

There's no option for "I smoke weed all the time".
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

In vein

This is stupid. Marijuana is definately not a strong "drug," if you even want to call it a "drug." If what you said was true, your people are either idiots or just...hmmm, I can't come up with anything else, so we'll just leave it at that. If this **** happens with them, it doesn't happen with the other 99% I can guarentee that. A lot of people bash weed when they have hardly ever (if ever) even tried it.

I really really like this quote by Brawl:

"Pot isnt anywhere near as bad as alchohol . Pot is all about ones own attitude . Losers fall into a life of nothingness"

Very true. Use responsibly. Simple as that.

- SsiK

bulking again
    i smoke on occasion only b/c i can't say no to my friends when they want to smoke out which is like once a month or so..

smoking does effect ur gains tho but not by much it contains estrogen which stops protein synthesis and when u got the munchies i'd doubt u'll be pulling out anything healthy to eat..

another thing i heard was that estrogen can put u in a catabolic state and break down ur muscle tissue not sure if that's true tho it could be just all fake.. but yah i think smoking weed once a month won't make any noticable difference just don't go crazy and eat fatty foods when u got the munchies instead pull out the ol' cottage cheese and grub on that..
    Last edited by toughguywannabe; 08-28-2004 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by toughguywannabe
    i smoke on occasion only b/c i can't say no to my friends when they want to smoke out which is like once a month or so..

smoking does effect ur gains tho but not by much it contains estrogen which stops protein synthesis and when u got the munchies i'd doubt u'll be pulling out anything healthy to eat..

another thing i heard was that estrogen can put u in a catabolic state and break down ur muscle tissue not sure if that's true tho it could be just all fake.. but yah i think smoking weed once a month won't make any noticable difference just don't go crazy and eat fatty foods when u got the munchies instead pull out the ol' cottage cheese and grub on that..
    Were you smokin' one when you wrote this, bro? Estrogen? WTF?

Put the crack pipe down. There is no estrogen in marijuana. It does not lower testosterone. Not one little bit. It does not hinder protein synthesis.

It does contain tar. The tar in marijuana is potentially more dangerous than that in tobacco. Marijuana smoke contains higher concentrations of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) than tobacco smoke. These are known carcinogens. But there is definitely no estrogen in weed.

melt
    Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.

There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics. ~Benjamin Disraeli