Thread: Shoulder interference in chest workout

Shoulder interference in chest workout

I am not educated with the technical terms of muscles so I will dumb it down amd just hope us guys understand what I am asking about.

When I do any chest workout, I usually feel it in my shoulders in the front rounded part that connects to my chest (hope that makes sense)

My question is what can I do to increase targeting my chest and taking the load off of my shoulders.

It is getting to the point that my shoulders and arms are huge (for my size) but my chest is very underdeveloped, a situation I have really been trying to fix for years.

Also it should be noted that my right shoulder is messed up a bit from an accident when i was a kid, and locks up on me if i extend my movements too far. So that means I just have to concentrate on form and slow up some exercises to accomodate this.

Thanks

Which lifts are you doing? This would help some.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Flat Bench
    Incline Bench
    Decline (hammer strength)
    Cable x overs
    and buterfly machine for inner chest (prob the only exercise that I can truely target only my chest)

Well first, stop trying to target your inner chest. You can't.

Take out the incline as this works both shoulders and chest. During flatbench, where does the bar travel? Over your neck or near your sternum? The higher the bar comes down on your body, the more your shoulders come into play. When using the Hammer strength machine, be sure you are positioned properly. If you are seated to low, you'll force your shoulders to work more.

Pick one: cable xovers or butterfly. Both do the exact same thing. Whichever one you pick, be sure your seated high enough(butterfly) or positioning the cables properly to minimize shoulder usage.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    Well first, stop trying to target your inner chest. You can't.

Take out the incline as this works both shoulders and chest. During flatbench, where does the bar travel? Over your neck or near your sternum? The higher the bar comes down on your body, the more your shoulders come into play. When using the Hammer strength machine, be sure you are positioned properly. If you are seated to low, you'll force your shoulders to work more.

Pick one: cable xovers or butterfly. Both do the exact same thing. Whichever one you pick, be sure your seated high enough(butterfly) or positioning the cables properly to minimize shoulder usage.

What do you mean you cant target your inner chest, sure you can when I do buterflys (dumbbells or machines) it is the inner part of my chest that is being used, as the next day that is where my soreness comes from (depending on how hard I go at my workout.)

Flatbench= Bar travels over my strenum. Although I am still feeling it in my shoulders.

Hammer Strength= What do you mean sitting to low? Like where I adjust the height of the sit? or how i am sitting, cuz I sit with my back firmly against the pad.

Yes, he means the height of the seat. You can tell based on your arm angle. Elbows should be well below shoulders.

Bench press is not a chest exercise. It is a compound pressing exercise for the chest, delts, and triceps. If you want to work the chest relatively more (you'll never be able to totally remove delts from pressing), try prefatiguing your chest.

Also, try dips. These are an excellent mass builder.

Finally, you're probably doing too many sets and too many reps. Try picking 3 exercises, doing 2-3 sets each, at 6-12 reps.
    Last edited by MixmasterNash; 08-26-2004 at 12:43 PM.

How many dips should I do?
    The problem I have with Dips is my shoulder (right) either locks (if I go to low) or dislocates slightly off the bone of the socket, so I havent really tired them

I suppose I can do machine assisted Dips. Should I just do each rep to failure?

Also I actually only do 4 exercises for chest. at 8 reps and three sets (if I hit 8 reps on the last set, then I move up the weight on the next time i do that exercise).

Well, DON'T do them if it dislocates your shoulder!!! They're not critical, just an often overlooked pressing exercise (because they're hard).

12 sets is okay for chest, but probably still not necessary. It's a very small muscle group, and you can get excellent results with fewer sets. It's just an efficiency thing. Indeed, you're probably better off working chest in a few sets, multiple times a week.

If i do it a few times A day will I see better growth?

I fail to see the advantages of this method? As I do
    Mon: Shoulders
    Tues: Chest/Tri's
    Wednesday: Bi/Back
    Thursday or Friday: Legs
    Weekends off

Please advise

What? No, not a few times a day, but multiple times a week.

That split is pretty bad: You don't want to work the same muscle group on back to back days, which you are with shoulders and chest.

Try:
    Mon: Shoulders
    Tues: Leg
    Wednesday: Back
    Thursday or Friday: Chest
    Weekends off

on flat and incline bench i have found that not going past 90 degrees has minimized shoulder pains that i was having when i was trying to go for the "full" rom.

Banned
    Bboy 486, you can't target a part of your chest.

MixmasterNash, you have it backwards. If you want to make sure you're hitting your chest without interference from the assisting muscles in bench press then you pre-fatigue it, not your shoulders. I don't believe any pre-exhaustion is necessary, but pre-fatiguing your shoulders is a terrible idea.

Vido, so please teach me how/why my chest is the only part of my body that hasnt gained in size, even though I am increasing my reps and weight at a nice pace....

Im at a loss, and i do switch my routine every 6 weeks.

Banned
    If your form is half-decent, you're increasing strength, and you're gaining size everywhere else on your body (which implies that you're eating and resting enough), then it's probably just not a very responsive body part for you. Everyone has weak points, not much you can do as far as I'm concerned. It sounds kind of like a cop-out, but I don't see any point in constantly being frustrated.

My only suggestion is that you don't perform your chest workout the day after shoulders. This is kind of like Mixmaster's idea, which I already explained wasn't good. If your shoulders are tired or sore this will affect your ability to do pressing exercises for chest.

I agree with switching my chest day, perhaps i will do that on wednesdays (of thursday if I can get in a Friday workout, with the rest on Wednesday) and do bi/back tuesday

The reason I dont want to do legs on tues, is legs are my least desirable and having them before the end of the week, will pretty much discourage me from doing them. So using them as the last for the week right before my days off, mentally gets me to do them w/o a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    Bboy 486, you can't target a part of your chest.

MixmasterNash, you have it backwards. If you want to make sure you're hitting your chest without interference from the assisting muscles in bench press then you pre-fatigue it, not your shoulders. I don't believe any pre-exhaustion is necessary, but pre-fatiguing your shoulders is a terrible idea.
    Whoops, you are correct, I mistyped.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bboy486
    The reason I dont want to do legs on tues, is legs are my least desirable and having them before the end of the week, will pretty much discourage me from doing them. So using them as the last for the week right before my days off, mentally gets me to do them w/o a problem.
    That's odd. I would think that one would be less inclined to skip a workout at the beginning of a new week...I guess everyone's different.

definately, what works for me will not work for everyone