The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar

BB Curls vs. Concentration DB Curls

Which should be easier and which should be harder? I find I do a little less with reg. BB curls... but I'm not sure if it's just me.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I swear by heavy alternating DB curls. I usually use an arm blaster BB with my back against the wall as my other bicep staple, though sometimes I do reverse curls. I rarely do concentration curls.

Barbell Curls allow for the use of heavier weights, so they are my choice.

barbell curls by far

Guess it's there bar, lol.

I never had this problem at my school gym. Always could do more with the BB. Just at this new gym, it's a different story.

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Why should it be harder? If it is, you need to up the weight on the DBs.

Banned
    There is NO WAY you should be doing more weight on concentration curls than barbell curls...check your form on one or both exercises.

Frank Zane-ification
    Yes, concentration curls should be harder, as they isolate the bicep more without the help of other surrounding muscles. You should do both exercises (it couldn't hurt).
    "Hey skinny, I can see your ribs!" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Quote Originally Posted by mike_mm
    I swear by heavy alternating DB curls. I usually use an arm blaster BB with my back against the wall as my other bicep staple, though sometimes I do reverse curls. I rarely do concentration curls.
    Yeah, I get a crazy pump this way too.

Beans and Liver
    There should be no such thing as easier or harder. All should be hard. You should be able to lift more with BB curl than DB concentration curl, no doubt about it.

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    I've watched you do concentration curls Mitch, you use a bit of back, your form might be off, afterall you were using 40's :P or was its 35's? W/e check out that exrx or w/e site and see the proper form, maybe that will help.

Just my 50 cents
    "Geneing Leans Green"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nito
    I've watched you do concentration curls Mitch, you use a bit of back, your form might be off, afterall you were using 40's :P or was its 35's? W/e check out that exrx or w/e site and see the proper form, maybe that will help.
    lol, there's a surprise. I don't think most 15-year olds with 12" arms can curl anything close to 40's.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBuilder
    Barbell Curls allow for the use of heavier weights, so they are my choice.
    :withstupi

IMO I think Concentration Curls suck...They just make your arm look pretty while your doing them. I think if your looking for big arms you should stick to the big exercises db curls, bb curls, hammers, preacher, incline, etc...I think the isolated curls for biceps are all pretty much worthless unless you want to finish off with them for a "PUMP"...At my gym the trainers laugh at people doing them...Especially when you are going HEAVY its a light isolated exercise

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by beachmuscles
    IMO I think Concentration Curls suck...They just make your arm look pretty while your doing them. I think if your looking for big arms you should stick to the big exercises db curls, bb curls, hammers, preacher, incline, etc...I think the isolated curls for biceps are all pretty much worthless unless you want to finish off with them for a "PUMP"...At my gym the trainers laugh at people doing them...Especially when you are going HEAVY its a light isolated exercise
    I agree completely, but that wasn't really the question he was asking.

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    lol, there's a surprise. I don't think most 15-year olds with 12" arms can curl anything close to 40's.
    He can do a couple ask him.
    "Geneing Leans Green"

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    Nah my form is alright, Nito just likes to spam and cause trouble. And I can concentration curl 40's 4 reps when I am fresh.

3:16

you can get a full range of motion out of concentration curls, so they are not a bad exercise to do. As long as your progress at them, your arms will get bigger and stronger.
    and there better than preacher curls due to the top 1/3 of the exercise having more resteince on it.
    who cares if people laugh at you for making good gains?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Banned
    Barbellcurls will allow you to use more weight in the fact that its a 2d lift, and dumbells is a 3d lift so you have to put more effort and focus on balancing and the smaller muscles are stabalizing that weight from going whichever way it wants to from the different angles your arm is moving. I do barbell for all my heavy lifting and dumbells for my 8-10 rep sets. As much as I love dumbells barbells will allow you to use more weight and will give you more mass. But dumbells will be more beneficial to everyday life, when you lift something most of the time its not on a bar

I find it somewhat amusing that you say isolated curls are worthless, but list preacher curls as one of the exercises you should do.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    I find it somewhat amusing that you say isolated curls are worthless, but list preacher curls as one of the exercises you should do.
    Glad I'm not the only one that spotted the irony. :withstupi

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlterSh0ck
    Nah my form is alright, Nito just likes to spam and cause trouble. And I can concentration curl 40's 4 reps when I am fresh.
    Wow, that is very insulting, since I am just trying to help. Honestly that is my opinion on your concentration curls, it looks like you lean into it to much. And I'm not saying my form is much better.
    "Geneing Leans Green"

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    Yes..But you can go alot heavier on preacher curls...Rather then single arm concentrations...

If you are doing both correctly they should be roughly the same. Unless you are cheating on one of them.

Both exercises brace the upper arm so the only movement is at the elbow. Although, I see a lot of guys start to try and lean back on preachers which defeats the point of the isolation in the first place.

Otherwise they are pretty much the same thing.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by Nito
    Wow, that is very insulting, since I am just trying to help. Honestly that is my opinion on your concentration curls, it looks like you lean into it to much. And I'm not saying my form is much better.
    Yeah I agree, but my form has changed since I revamped my routine and such.