Thread: Will eating only 3 meals a day hinder my progress?

WBB Member

Will eating only 3 meals a day hinder my progress?

I just moved back to college and eat lunch and dinner in the dining halls. It is all you can eat and I can always get food good for BBing (turkey, chicken, milk, eggs, etc.) so I don't have any problem getting the required number of cals or grams of protein per day. I eat an MRP with milk for breakfast, and have 1 scoop of whey PWO and also 2 scoops mid afternoon. Previously I ate 6 meals per day totalling the same number of calories. I have heard that eating several meals is preferrable to a few large ones, but I don't know how much of a difference it makes. Does anyone else here get the majority of their cals from 3 main meals per day? Does it really make a big difference how many meals your calories are spread out over, other than just the trouble of having to eat so much food in one sitting?
    Last edited by SpecialK; 08-28-2004 at 06:50 PM.

If you can fit all your calories and macronutrient needs into 3 meals then it's fine. The only real advantage of 6 (or more) meals is not having to stuff yourself in one sitting. The metabolic advantages of more meals a day is a fallacy.

Banned
    Eating 3 meals/day is perfectly fine...BUT if your reason is that you have to eat in the cafeteria at school then I don't like it. Go to a grocery store near campus and buy some stuff for your room. Lots of the stuff they serve at a cafeteria is junk and you may not even want their food some nights. It's best to have a supply of your own, for those times if nothing else. Also, most cafs close fairly early so your last meal is going to be quite early in the evening...it would be best if you were eating right up until bed time.

Gimp,
    can you help direct me to the source of info that stated the metabolic advantage of more than 3 meals is a fallacy?
    thanks.

YES, BIG JOHN
    Last edited by Big John; 08-30-2004 at 08:44 AM.

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big John
    YES, BIG JOHN
    Would you mind elaborating on that?

thanks

I have been training for many years, I strongly believe that 3 meals a day are not enough, 6 small ones are the best way of increased metabalism and growth enhancement. Big John

Banned
    What do you mean "not enough"?

If you have 3 1000 calorie meals, as opposed to 6 500 calorie meals, how is the former option "not enough"?

I have been training for many years, I strongly believe that 3 meals a day are not enough, 6 small ones are the best way of increased metabalism and growth enhancement. Big John

i have been losing teeth for years, and strongly believe in the tooth faery.

hahaha

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    I dont know of studies, only personal opinion = mine.

I have found that as long as I get my total amount of calories needed for the day, whether it is three meals or 10, I get great results.

I have been able to keep my BF levels pretty constant on any meal plan as long as I eat proper calories for the day. The number of calories I eat vary from @2500 (cutting) to @5000 (bulking) and it took around four months and a lot of writing down what I ate to get my caloires dialed in to work to my advantage for cutting or bulking.

It is just EASIER to eat more calories if I eat more meals.....specially when bulking.
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Six small meals sit better for my stomach over the course of a day than 3, Iv'e still got all my teeth. BIG JOHN
    Last edited by Big John; 08-31-2004 at 06:18 AM.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Wolf
    Gimp,
    can you help direct me to the source of info that stated the metabolic advantage of more than 3 meals is a fallacy?
    thanks.
    Go to pubmed and type "meal frequency metabolic rate"
    or "feeding frequency and metabolic rate" and you'll get plenty of abstracts. I know of no scientific material that ever showed any impact on BMR or RMR from increased feeding frequency.

Restless
    You live and learn, Big John

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Restless
    You live and learn, Big John

Big John

You sure do, Restless