The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

newbie's guide to getting lean

Black coffee to keep hydrated??Are you kidding??Who moderates these articles??Someone should have caught that.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Read much?
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

You completely took that out of context. It says to drink a gallon of water per day to keep hydrated, and also to help keep you full. Besides water, coffee and other beverages can also be consumed to help keep you "full".

Heck of a first post to be criticizing the folks that moderate, but welcome to WBB.

Wannabebig Member
    I agree, Your FIRST Post and you start by bashing Moderators??? Not a good way to start if you plan to stay...

Wannabebig Member
    come on......to a newbie reading the article you can't see how is was takin out of context.the author if he had tooken a high scool writing class would now that paragraphs are grouped by a main idea.you throw hydrated into the same subject as black coffee it can be taken out of context.I agree cafeine has its place as an effective thermogenic but it was put into the wrong subject.as far as bashing moderators maybe i was out of line but the paragraph read Drinking at least a gallon of water per day is the norm for most active strength trainers. It is important to keep the body hydrated Besides water, you can drink some hot beverages, such as black coffee or green tea, both of which have caffeine,i thoght the article was geared towards newbies and not just to impress other professionals.

I wannabebig!
    to a person who has taken a high school writing class... would spell school correctly.. not only that, but they would know how to use take in the past tense, such as taken wthell is tooken. not to mention they would know that caffeine is spelled with two f's not 1, how's that?

And that letters following a period are capitalised...

I thought it was so ridiculous that I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he was being ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick74
    come on......to a newbie reading the article you can't see how is was takin out of context.the author if he had tooken a high scool writing class would now that paragraphs are grouped by a main idea.you throw hydrated into the same subject as black coffee it can be taken out of context.I agree cafeine has its place as an effective thermogenic but it was put into the wrong subject.as far as bashing moderators maybe i was out of line but the paragraph read Drinking at least a gallon of water per day is the norm for most active strength trainers. It is important to keep the body hydrated Besides water, you can drink some hot beverages, such as black coffee or green tea, both of which have caffeine,i thoght the article was geared towards newbies and not just to impress other professionals.
    Amongst this rambling, I think you're trying to apologize. You misunderstood the article, now it's cleared up. Lets drop it.
    Last edited by AstronautJones; 08-22-2004 at 09:11 PM.

I wrote the article, and it was then edited by Maki.

I never recommended black coffee to keep hydrated, and I don't think Maki did either.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Wannabebig Member
    black coffee has as we all know, caffeine. Caffeine is also a diuretic. Diuretics dehydrate you. Drinking something that dehydrates you to hydrate yourself?

Quagmire wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by Sport_Scientist
    black coffee has as we all know, caffeine. Caffeine is also a diuretic. Diuretics dehydrate you. Drinking something that dehydrates you to hydrate yourself?
    Did you read the article? It was taken completely out of context.
    He who hesitates masturbates........

black coffee has as we all know, caffeine. Caffeine is also a diuretic. Diuretics dehydrate you.
    Dang scientist school did him well!

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick74
    Somebody get this man a spell checker.

If you're drinking a 1+ gallon of water daily it will not be a problem.

Banned
    I'm sure that the author of the article did not have any intention of implying that black coffee would keep you hydrated. Perhaps it wasn't worded optimally, but there's no point in nit-picking for semantics.

The thing I don't really understand (other than the fact that the guy who wrote the article is a Starbucks junkie) is why black coffee is even being mentioned at all. It's not exactly a beverage I would be recommending. I mean, of course, it's not going to kill you or anything, but neither is a candy bar and I wouldn't be recommending one of those in a "getting lean" article either. If someone wants to drink coffee then fine, but I think the list of recommended beverages should cease after plain old H2O.

I'm not quite sure what the problem is.

Is this the quote in question?

"Beverages help you fight feelings of hunger and give your stomach that “full” feeling. Drinking at least a gallon of water per day is the norm for most active strength trainers. It is important to keep the body hydrated Besides water, you can drink some hot beverages, such as black coffee or green tea, both of which have caffeine (see supplement section below)."

From what I read it seems to me that someone is not reading properly. The author is simply mentioning that besides water, some caffiene is fine since many people are not willing to give up their daily shot of caffiene. The author then goes on to explain that this can be a benefit.

And to Sports Scientist, you need to go back to personal training academy and take a refresher course. However, in the meantime while you are waiting to reregister let me get you started.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=12187618

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...t_uids=2383801

http://www.ific.org/foodinsight/2002...hydnbfi402.cfm
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    And to Sports Scientist, you need to go back to personal training academy and take a refresher course. However, in the meantime while you are waiting to reregister let me get you started.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=12187618

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...t_uids=2383801

http://www.ific.org/foodinsight/2002...hydnbfi402.cfm
    ROFL.

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    I'm not quite sure what the problem is.

Is this the quote in question?

"Beverages help you fight feelings of hunger and give your stomach that “full” feeling. Drinking at least a gallon of water per day is the norm for most active strength trainers. It is important to keep the body hydrated Besides water, you can drink some hot beverages, such as black coffee or green tea, both of which have caffeine (see supplement section below)."
    Seems pretty self-explanitory to me.

Basically even if you're having other beverages which contain water and may be hot (i.e. green tea and/or coffee, some of the most consumed beverage alternatives) its all good, these alternate beverages can be used to help meet your daily water intake requirements as they are mostly water.
    Last edited by AllUp; 08-24-2004 at 09:17 AM.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Motors, Music & Muscle HemiVision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllUp
    Seems pretty self-explanitory to me.

Basically even if you're having other beverages which contain water and may be hot (i.e. green tea and/or coffee, some of the most consumed beverage alternatives) its all good, these alternate beverages can be used to help meet your daily water intake requirements as they are mostly water.
    Actually that's not true. If you're going to drink diuretics, you just need to drink MORE water to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by HemiVision
    Actually that's not true. If you're going to drink diuretics, you just need to drink MORE water to compensate.
    Correct.

The real question is, does the amount of diuretics in a drink completely cancel out the amount of water that the drink contains? A cup of coffee is about, what, 90-95% water? So, will the amount of caffine in a cup of coffee cause me to urinate more than a cup of water?

Patrick74: It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to bash someone on grammar and attempt to educate on the proper use of grammar, all while creating the very errors yourself in that very paragraph. Also, if you are going to quote something, please use the proper punctuation marks ("").
    Last edited by TBone4Eva; 08-25-2004 at 11:10 PM.
    The half-million citizens of the District of Columbia, like citizens of the fifty states, bear all of the obligations of American citizenship: they are required to obey the laws passed by Congress; they pay federal taxes; they serve in the military; and they fight and die in our wars. Yet they lack the most basic right that should accompany American citizenship—the right to full voting representation in Congress. This makes the United States the only nation in the world with a representative, democratic constitution that denies citizens of its capital representation in the national legislature. In fact, no fewer than 183 nations provide their citizens the type of representation citizens of Washington, DC are denied.

Motors, Music & Muscle HemiVision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone4Eva
    The real question is, does the amount of diuretics in a drink completely cancel out the amount of water that the drink contains? A cup of coffee is about, what, 90-95% water? So, will the amount of caffine in a cup of coffee cause me to urinate more than a cup of water?
    It probably wouldn't, but that depends on how much caffeine was in the coffee and what your total daily caffeine intake is.

If you're going to drink enough coffee to boost athletic performance, or take a caffeine supplement, the diuretic effect is a real concern. If you're just having a cup or two a day you probably don't need to adjust your water intake. I drink the extra water anyway, just to be on the safe side... and coffee makes me thirsty.

More important is that the diuretic effect robs your body of vitamins and minerals - one more reason to take a daily multivitamin.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone4Eva
    Patrick: It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to bash someone on grammar and attempt to educate on the proper use of grammar, all while creating the very errors yourself in that very paragraph. Also, if you are going to quote something, please use the proper punctuation marks ("").
    Where did I bash anyone for grammar?

BTW I already said that my article was edited after I wrote it.....

LOL, not you SP . The other Patrick. You know, the guy that started the thread. I better edit that and put the 74 in there. My bad for the confusion.
    Last edited by TBone4Eva; 08-25-2004 at 11:14 PM.
    The half-million citizens of the District of Columbia, like citizens of the fifty states, bear all of the obligations of American citizenship: they are required to obey the laws passed by Congress; they pay federal taxes; they serve in the military; and they fight and die in our wars. Yet they lack the most basic right that should accompany American citizenship—the right to full voting representation in Congress. This makes the United States the only nation in the world with a representative, democratic constitution that denies citizens of its capital representation in the national legislature. In fact, no fewer than 183 nations provide their citizens the type of representation citizens of Washington, DC are denied.

Lol