Thread: Trying to get lean

Trying to get lean

Right now I have been doing cardio for 5 days a week. I do cardio for 60 minutes 3 days a week and 30 minutes of cardio for 2 days. Is this overkill?
    Last edited by Bigtank; 08-31-2004 at 05:45 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Getting lean for me has always had more to do with my diet than how much cardio in a week. How much cardio before overkill depends on your intensity and whether or not there is a negative impact on your lifting.

Current Max
    Bench: 275
    Squat: 310
    Dead: 285
    5'8" 170lb

Bumper sticker: Drive it like you stole it.

Well I don't eat unhealthy or anything but I always had a problem cutting, it must be in the genes or something. I always thought the more cardio you do the more calories you are going to lose. My eating habit isn't bad. This is mostly what my meals consist of, a protein bar for breakast, for lunch a can of tuna, as a snack paste for energy then chicken and a salad for dinner. If I drink I don't usually drink beer and that would only be on the weekends. The running five days a week hasn't hurt me with lifting because I actually feel more pumped but, I guess my eating habit could be bad.

If' you're not losing weight, then eat less. It really is that simple. From the sounds of it, you're not tracking how much you eat. Try keeping a food log and figuring out how many calories you're eating per day, and adjust that based on whatever results you're getting (e.g. if you're not losing, you need to cut a couple of hundred calories per day and see if that gets you going).

If you're not feeling tired from all the cardio then it probably isn't doing you any harm. Stick with it if you enjoy it; if you do decide to decrease the amount you do, bear in mind that you'll need to eat less to account for the reduction in the calories you're using.

The Big Wang
    just cut back on the calories consistently for a couple weeks..
    u will see results.

I think keeping a log might help me out, so I am going to try keeping a log and reduce my calories once I figure out my normal calorie intake.

Down with the Sickness
    Big tank it is not going to happen overnight, you need to quit drinking all together while trying to get lean and you need to track your intake of foods use www.fitday.com So far it doesn't look like you are eating enough and your body is on starvation mode you need to take in around 2300 to 2800 cals a day and you will loose alot faster than you are now. Cut the Cardio to 3 to 4 days a week 4 max and only limit it to 30 minutes a day or 500 cals a session. Only reason i say this is because the average person's body burns around 4k to 4500 cals a day doing NOTHING and if you are doing that much cardio that means you are burning around 6-7k a day and if you intake is only 1500-2000 that mean you are over a 4500 to 5000 cal deficit. It takes 3500-4000 cals to burn a pound of body fat but if you are over a 2500 cal deficit for the day and that is the high end you body goes into starvation mode and does not burn the calories faster but slower. Do some research and read everything you can on nutrition but in the meanwhile try this.

Down with the Sickness
    PS

You are eating way to little

protein bar

tuna as a paste for energy and a chicken salad

That is MAYBE 1200 cals

Try this it is high in protein and you will hit your cals for the day
    Breakfast
    5 egg whites w/w one whole egg
    4oz of chicken breast
    1 slice whole wheat toast
    8oz of whole milk

Snack
    Tangerine

Lunch
    8 oz chicken breast
    4 oz of spinach pasta w/ your favorite .5 cup of spagetti or alfredo sauce
    water

Snack
    Tuna (6.5 oz can)
    1 tbsp of low fat mayo
    2 tbsp of mustard
    2 tbs of honey
    mix all together
    Trust me it is good

Dinner

8 oz chicken or turkey breast
    .25 cup of brown rice
    broccoli
    8 oz whole milk

Shake

1 cup of ice cream all natural
    protein shake mix= 40 grams protein
    4oz of whole milk

Well I better do a little more research on nutrition I guess I am not eating much at all. I better buy more chicken and tuna. I need to go shopping for some good foods what would be a good shopping list that should last a week?

BT,
    My weekly shopping list:
    5-10 pounds of skinless/bonelss/rib-meat-less chicken breasts(the frozen ones in the bag taste 10x better than fresh ones! and are a bit cheaper usually also with same nutritional values!)
    2 twelve ounce boxes of Muellers Low Carb pasta (I get this one because its LOADED to the gills with Wheat Proteins and has a decent amount of fiber)
    1 bag of Low Carb Tortillas (again, dont be dissuaded by the low carb, I'm not into that, BUT these things have 21g of dietary fiber!!!! I couldn't pass that up!!!!)
    1 quart of milk
    4 pounds of protein powder

from time to time I'll add a few random things in there like a loaf of bread, or some canned soups....but the above are my steadies...

Wannabebig Member
    Bigtank, I'm no pro but from what I've read you should at least be not aiming to lose too much too quickly whilst cutting, aiming for 1lb per week or so is realistic. Watch those saturated fats and late night carbs. Possibly do your cardio in the morning before your first meal to cut into your stored calories in fat, rather than buring calories which you have consumed during the day.