The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Pullups or chins for rear delts?

On exrx.net, the rear delts are listed as being worked in chinups and not pullups. Is this true? Recently I've been wondering if my rear delts were getting enough work. So is it true that they aren't hit by pullups? I like pullups a lot better than chinups, so is there any other good exercise that it hits the rear delts if pullups don't?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bent over side raises, and upright rows hit rear delts alot.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake
    Bent over side raises, and upright rows hit rear delts alot.
    Upright rows I heard are bad for your shoulders.

Do bent over rows work them really good?

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger
    On exrx.net, the rear delts are listed as being worked in chinups and not pullups. Is this true? Recently I've been wondering if my rear delts were getting enough work. So is it true that they aren't hit by pullups? I like pullups a lot better than chinups, so is there any other good exercise that it hits the rear delts if pullups don't?
    check www.theallineed.com/ad-health-6/health-047.htm

Finertia Urban Network
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger
    The rear delts should get worked by either or. The only time that the rear detls don't get worked on, or at least not majorly involved, is when the shoulder joints aren't hyperextended, where the elbow joints would move past the the upper torso at the peak of the pulling movement. This really only happens when you are performing either a closed grip chin-up or underhanded pull-up.

My personal all time favorite of rear delts exercise is the standing bent-over reverse dumbbell flyes.
    Last edited by JOSEPH; 09-05-2004 at 06:14 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    I try to avoid isolation exercises, that's why I think bent-over rows would work best.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    On exrx.net, the rear delts are listed as being worked in chinups and not pullups. Is this true?
    I see what you mean bro...
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../BWChinup.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../BWPullup.html

This has left me pretty confused because honestly the 2 animations look the same to me. Something about them defining chin as shoulder extension and pull as adduction maybe? They certainly don't name it after the grip since it's a prone/palms away grip in either case.

Quote Originally Posted by JOSEPH View Post
    The only time that the rear detls don't get worked on, or at least not majorly involved, is when the shoulder joints aren't hyperextended, where the elbow joints would move past the the upper torso at the peak of the pulling movement.
    Hyperextension aside, when we externally rotate like that, I think the posterior delt also works with the scapulothoracic muscles as an adductor when the elbows are out, and even prior to hyperextension it's probably assisting the lats, epsecially near the end of the set as the lats get fatigued and synergists might start to assist them more.
    Last edited by tyciol; 07-25-2011 at 04:24 AM.