The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Zero Carb/Very Low Carb Diets

Anyone have success with these? How many carbs (if any) did you consume?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Less then 20 grams per day. Two day loading per week. Lost 70 pounds.

Wannabebig New Member

What was the breakdown as far as %'s for P/C/F ? Congrats on losing 70 lbs. Did you loose any strength?

What kind of foods did you eat on your loading days?
    Weight: 320
    BF%: 38.2
    Height: 5' 11"

Go for about 75-100 grams of fat. 150-170 grams of protein.

900 Fat Calories
    680 Protein Calories

loaded on:

Bagels
    Cereal
    Low fat ice cream
    Oatmeal
    Pretzels
    Fruit Snacks
    Chex mix
    Natural Peanut Butter Sandwiches (Whole wheat bread)

Da Tejas
    Quote Originally Posted by harryhoudini66
    Go for about 75-100 grams of fat. 150-170 grams of protein.

900 Fat Calories
    680 Protein Calories
    How much did you weigh before when you did this intake?

Lost 70 pounds

900 Fat Calories
    680 Protein Calories

Total= 1580 calories
    your weight loss probably had more to do with you eating only 1600 calories per day than the fact that you had eliminated carbs.
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 09-15-2004 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez
    What was the breakdown as far as %'s for P/C/F ? Congrats on losing 70 lbs. Did you loose any strength?
    not sure on the strength loss since I did not have much or excercised before I started.

Less then 20 grams per day. Two day loading per week. Lost 70 pounds.
    how much of that do you figure lean body mass? By doing this can you force the body to only use fat as it's main energy source? or will you start using amino acids as well? YOu can't have much energy can you?
    Never Giving In.

Da Tejas
    what importance do the loading days hold?

The body needs carbs. Otherwise it'll start using proteins/fats for engergy (most of you prolly know this already).

I eat a well balanced variety of foods. Here's my usual meal plan and it's given satisfying results:

Breakfast- 2 packets of oatmeal, a glass of milk, some fruit
    Mid morning- a scoop of whey protein isolate powder mixed with milk and a banana
    Lunch- turkey sandwitch with lettuce and mayo, ice tea, candy bar, apple
    Late afternoon- cake/pie/cookies, milk
    Dinner- some kind of meat (steak, honey ham, burger or whatever), bread, salad
    Snack- cottage cheese, bread, a tablespoon of peanut butter

Keep in mind, hroughout the whole day I'm drinking water

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mission
    The body needs carbs. Otherwise it'll start using proteins/fats for engergy (most of you prolly know this already).

I eat a well balanced variety of foods. Here's my usual meal plan and it's given satisfying results:

Breakfast- 2 packets of oatmeal, a glass of milk, some fruit
    Mid morning- a scoop of whey protein isolate powder mixed with milk and a banana
    Lunch- turkey sandwitch with lettuce and mayo, ice tea, candy bar, apple
    Late afternoon- cake/pie/cookies, milk
    Dinner- some kind of meat (steak, honey ham, burger or whatever), bread, salad
    Snack- cottage cheese, bread, a tablespoon of peanut butter

Keep in mind, hroughout the whole day I'm drinking water
    The body doesn't "need" carbs. You can argue that the brain needs carbs, but that's about it.

I'm quite certain that you would see more "satisfying results" if you weren't eating cookies or cake as a meal.

Mystic Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    The body doesn't "need" carbs. You can argue that the brain needs carbs, but that's about it.

I'm quite certain that you would see more "satisfying results" if you weren't eating cookies or cake as a meal.
    Well, not to knit pick but you eat boxes of cookies (about 3 at a time) as meals and you're pretty stacked (214).

Quote Originally Posted by Vido

I would disagree with this unless your talking about less energy and still going? From personal experience I'd feel like I had the flu all the time if i didnt eat carbs.
    Never Giving In.

214 huh. Wow, last time I saw you, you were about 200.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez
    Anyone have success with these? How many carbs (if any) did you consume?
    I had some success with a TKD.

70% fat, 30% pro, nearly 0 carbs.

25-50g of dextrose either right before, during, or right after training (I did before), with a protein shake immediately after, then a keto meal about an hour later.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

the irish assassin
    1. Does the body need carbs? yes and no. At the cellular level the body needs to be able to convert glycogen to ATP to run cellular respiration, so this would be the yes part. The no part is that regardless of your metabolic state (sugar or fat burner) the body will utilize some protein through gluconeogenesis to provide the glycogen, otherwise the millions of people in this country using the atkins, south beach, etc. diets would fall over dead.

2. Types of ketogenic diets? so many that you can't even count. If you exercise, the only 3 that i would recommend would be a TKD, CKD or NHE because the others don't factor in glycogen supercompensation or the testosterone improving effects of carb loading.

3. Does just eating a balanced diet and eating below maintenance calories work just as well as more targeted approaches like low carb diets? If you are an ectomorph and parition nutrients mostly as energy then the answer is yes. If you do not partition well, I will never believe that merely cleaning up your diet or dropping calories is the key, there are many overweight people, especially women, that have used intense decreases in calorie consumption and all they got were smaller versions of the same body type. Because i do not yet have the training or the vocabulary to get into the fine details, i believe that a combination of calorie cycling and keeping insulin stable will yield the best results to someone who is overweight trying to improve their body composition.
    Per Ferrum Ad Astra-Mel Siff

Don't wish for it, work for it.

All westcoast gangstas know, if you wanna keep your money, stick with "W"

why would you wanna become catabolic on your muscles though by letting protein be one of the main fuel sources to break down for energy? There's only 2 if i remember amino acids that can be turned into glucose. Protein is definetly not a reliable or the best source for energy. Carbs clearly are.
    Never Giving In.

Frank Zane-ification
    The need for carbohydrates in the diet varies a great deal depending on your level of activity. The body requires about 60 grams of carbohydrates simply to carry on the basic processes of the nervous system (the brain, for example, is fueled almost entirely by carbohydrates).

Carbohydrates are also an important fuel for muscular activity (duh). So if your diet is too low in carbohydrates, your workouts will suffer.

When it comes to carbohydrates, the amount you choose to eat is largely governed by whether you are trying to gain, lose or maintain weight. If your not getting enough, your body goes into a state of ketosis, hence the name of the ketosis or keto diet.

In nutritional terms, your best bet is to include some of each type of carbohydrate in your daily diet. Some carbs can metabolize very quickly. Fruits contain high glycemic carbs, so they are good for providing short-term energy, as well as being loaded with essential vitamins. Low glycemic carbs, which take a much longer time for the body to process, turn into energy and provide long-term, time-release energy and nutrition with minimum calories. Green an yellow vegetables are good carbs source.

Ketosis is the result of carb deprivation. Your body requires adequate amounts of carbs in order to properly metabolize fat. When there is not enough carbs in the body for this process to take place (usually the result of an over-strict diet like the one you're proposing), the body has to take emergency measures. The primary symptom of ketosis is ketonemia, the appearance of ketone bodies in the blood. Ketone bodies are the product of the incomplete burning of fats. These ketones can be used in place of glycogen for energy production, and they can also be used as energy to fuel brain and nervous system funtion (which otherwise rely entirely on glycogen).

The problem is that ketone bodies are not nearly as efficient in fueling exercise as glycogen. In a prolonged state of ketosis, you tend to be sluggish, your mental processes suffer, and your body gradually becomes dehydrated. Worse, in the absence of carbs you body begins to metabolize larger and larger amounts of amino acids (protein...duh) for additional energy. This is obviously highly counterproductive for anyone trying to build and maintain a foundation of solid muscle mass (so this is a crappy diet if you're going to be working out as well...it's a "lose weight only" diet).
    You could also confuse the loss of fat with the loss of water weight due to the dehydration. The ketosis diet seems to make you not feel as hungry as well.

Low carb would still be better than no carb if you really want to go on this diet. Just drink an assload of water and get lots of fat and protein, but don't plan on gaining massive mucle tissue in the process...
    Last edited by EviscerationX; 09-17-2004 at 01:41 AM.
    "Hey skinny, I can see your ribs!" - Arnold Schwarzenegger