Thread: Metabolism

Wannabebig Member

Metabolism

Around may, i decided i should finally do something about my weight, i wasnt terribly obese or anything, iam around 5'10" maybe a little more, 16 years old, at the time i weighed around 183lbs, well about 3 months later i was down at 158lbs, and i remain there today my question is, it seems that whereas before i put on weight fast, now i can eat damn near anything and not gain a pound of weight. I went on vacation this summer, for 2 weeks ate atleast one meal of fastfood a day, next to 0 cardio, and gained about 1 1/2 lbs. My question is (and iam not complaining beleive me heh) what exactly would cause that sort of change in metabolism? It really seems to have sped up. Just curious, thanks.

P.s. thanks for everyone posting stories and tips ect. i've tried diets before, but reading all the posts hear really seemed to help me stay motivated and on the diet.

It's quite possible that you're subconsciously moderating your intake quite well. Although you ate a "poor" diet for the two weeks, it's possible you didn't eat many more calories than normal (and a gain of 1 1/2lbs of fat in two weeks would mean roughly 350 extra cals per day).

I find the same thing you do; after a period of weight loss, it's easy to keep the weight off for a while, even if I relax my diet and exercise habits. I think it's because you've adapted to eating a certain amount, and keep eating around maintenance calories even though you're not trying. However, this effect "wears off" after a while (maybe a month or two), and you find you slowly add the weight back.

There probably have been changes to your physiology, particularly if you've been exercising quite a bit - exercise can make a big difference to the weight your body "wants" to maintain.

Anyway, congratulations on the progress you've made, it's excellent and you're right to be proud of yourself!

Wannabebig Member
    Pretty interesting stuff, yeah i made it thru summer with no weight gains, so i think iam in the clear now. When iam in school i've always found it 10x easier to stay on a schedule for lifting and diet, mainly because i know where i'll be everyday. Thanks for the feedback!