The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Continuously Dangerously

maybe cold weather cardio is a bad idea

i just got in from the track.. i thought it was mid 40's but turns out its 39 degrees. i'd always heard people in track talking about cold weather running so i thought i'd go give it a try.. bad move. i did one warm up lap, so far so good, walked half of one, then set out to do a sprint lap. when i got done my lungs were just burning. walked another half lap, then another sprint. this one i couldnt even finish.. each deep breath was like a bunch of needles poking my lungs and i even had a faint taste of blood in my mouth. i guess ill be using the treadmill from now on, i only hope i didnt just give myself pneumonia or something.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Know what ya mean, it was a cold run for me saturday. The trick is to take it alot slower to start off. As your body/lungs get used to the cold it will be alot better. Of course being a canuck I acutally like the cold weather. Almost outdoor hockey time!

Just wait until there is snow on the ground.

I just cover my face with a scarf or whatever, that way I'm not directly breathing in the cold air. Helps a lot.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    I've run outside when it's 40 below...just wear a light scarf or even a bandanna over your mouth and you won't get that "cold air burn."

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

bone crusher
    39, cold?

what are you gonna do in a month?

The dryness of the air in Winer really can hurt the lungs bro.. take their advice. Put somethin over your mouth, that way some moisture you breath OUT will end up comin back in when you inhale next.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

Heh heh heh. You're a wuss. I love the cold... I hate runnin when it's warm out. I overheat so quickly. Playin hockey in Alaska against some little shithole town with an unheated rink when it's 30below... love it. I can sprint for forever without overheating which is usually my problem. IceRgrrl and Tazern know what I'm talkin about. As for the outdoor hockey... damnit. I really miss that... stupid Idaho. I haven't seen winter in Alaska for 3 years now... I'm goin nuts. Ever since I was little I'd always go to the outside rinks and just start a pickup game with the rinkrats out there... Everyone here goes out and plays football or b-ball or sumthin [shudder]. What's the deal?
    "We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected."
    -Henry David Thoreau

"For the last ten years, Saddam has been building, stockpiling and hiding weapons all over the ****in desert, while laughing at the UN. As soon as Bush says, 'That's it we're comin in to kick your ass,' and the UN is inches away from supporting him. Saddam turns around and says, 'Um... United Nations.... sure, we'll let the weapons inspectors in.... no terms or conditions.' The United Nations.... being the left-wing, pansy-ass, limp-wristed, liberal bastards they are, turn around and believe him."
    -Col. Foreman, USAF

email: tadger@wannabebig.com
    secure email: tadger@cyber-rights.net

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    I can see how this would be a problem, if, it was pre ice age, and clothes weren't invented, but nowadays you can throw on a coat, a hat, and you're good, don't run out their naked.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Way below radar
    I hear you, Tadger. I like to run, but hate doing it in warm weather...I overheat too easily too. But I love that cold rink and skating hard up and down the ice

I remember playing games in at a rink that was outdoors with just a roof over it (no walls). It was always bitter cold and when the wind whipped through there it took your breath away...

--Robert Frost

OMFG I hate the cold. Moved to Texas to avoid it. Give me the heat when it's 105 out and I've sweat rolling down my face. It's take that over 39 degrees any day!
    There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back.

i'm with you man.....i don't think i can ever live north of the Mason-Dixon again.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Originally posted by Tryska
    i'm with you man.....i don't think i can ever live north of the Mason-Dixon again.
    That gets into the whole societal issue - don't get me started on that! Going home to visit the family in Kentucky is proof I love the south. But I hate rednecks, isn't that ironic?
    There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back.

*lol*

not really....if you had said your folks lived in west virginia and you hated rednecks..now that woulda been ironic.

"country roads...take me home...to the place i belong....west virginia... mountain mammas...take me home..country roads"

okay enough of that.
    Last edited by Tryska; 11-01-2001 at 11:01 AM.

Way below radar
    And here I am looking forward to snow

Upstate NY doesn't get cold/snowy enough in my opinion...I can't wait to go home to nothern Michigan where the flakes are measured in feet!

--Robert Frost

ice...spend a winter in oswego....once you get a taste of that Ontario Lake Effect stuff, you might not miss Michigan that much..*lol*

is that -30 Celcius or fahrenheit?

Originally posted by IceRgrrl
    And here I am looking forward to snow

Upstate NY doesn't get cold/snowy enough in my opinion...I can't wait to go home to nothern Michigan where the flakes are measured in feet!
    When I was younger I vacation in the UP in July. I asked one of the locals why every single woman under 40 had a baby carriage or a snugli. He pointed at a telephone pole and said "Sometimes the snow is so high in winter we can't see those anymore. Ya gotta have SOMETHING to do."

He himself had 5 children. *shudder*

Way below radar
    Originally posted by aikigreg

When I was younger I vacation in the UP in July. I asked one of the locals why every single woman under 40 had a baby carriage or a snugli. He pointed at a telephone pole and said "Sometimes the snow is so high in winter we can't see those anymore. Ya gotta have SOMETHING to do."

He himself had 5 children. *shudder*
    Hey, nothing wrong with everyone's favorite indoor sport...

BUT...two simple words....BIRTH CONTROL! LOL!

--Robert Frost

Lmao!
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Why not run on an indoor track?

Way below radar
    Running indoors can be seriously boring...and unless the track is really big, the constant cornering can be tough on the joints/muscles. And if the track is on the small side, you can get dizzy after many, many laps

Plus there's always a group of housewives/old people/tourists walking on the track three or four abreast so you're constantly yelling "Track!" as you overtake them....

--Robert Frost

Wannabebig Member
    Running in colder temperatures is just not a problem for me for some reason, last Thurs night I went for a jog and it was -4 or -5 degrees celsius and it was one of my best jogs this year (no stiches, overheating, etc.)...The thing is you have to concentrate on your breathing more, if you are woofing for air with inconsistent breathing you are going to burn up your lungs or just have a killer stitch...If you make sure you inhale mainly through your nose and exhale through your mouth (the steam looks cool) in a consistent matter, it shouldn't matter if its 10 degrees or minus 10!