Thread: Shoulder pain... ?

Never Satisfied.

Shoulder pain... ?

My right shoulder has been bothering me for about 6 weeks now. I'm hoping someone may know what the problem is. When the pain first started it hurt when I did basically anything with my shoulder. Just lifting my arm straight out to the side or over my head hurt a lot. The "everyday things" aspect of the pain has improved a ton since then. I really don't notice any shoulder pain anymore outside of the gym.

The pain started around the time when I really started progressing with weighted dips, and I figured maybe that could have been the cause of it. So, I stopped doing those right away. I also cut out dumbbell flyes, which also seem to bother my shoulder at the time. And, most important, I cut out all direct shoulder work. After 2 weeks of that, I tried to do shoulders again, but it hurt pretty bad.

I then took the next week of shoulders off. When I tried shoulders again the week after, overhead presses hurt really bad, but lateral raises felt about 75% ok.

It's now 3 or 4 weeks since then, and I did shoulders today. Lateral raises feel about 90% ok, but any overheard pressing still hurts like hell. I did 10 reps with just the bar and stopped after that. Basically my shoulder feels a lot better in everything I do except overheard pressing. Besides "see a doctor," does anyone have any ideas or guesses what my problem is?

Thanks in advance.
    22 - 5'11 - not big enough yet

Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

Banned
    do u sleep on ur side? i did and thats how i ****ed up my shoulders, now i train myself to sleep on belly or back

Wannabebig Member

Shoulder pain

Well i had the same problem and i had to go to the docs to get it sorted. Turns out i needed a op , i needed a thermal capsula shrinkage done on the front of my delt. The arm had come loose in the shoulder and the muscle was a bit baggy at the front so they cut a small hole in the skin stuck in a hot rod and rubbed it up and down the muscle. I had my arm in a sling for two weeks and im just starting to lift weights now . And that was about 7 weeks ago.
    Its not as bad as it sounds and thats the very basics of what it could be.
    good luck and go to the docs

Ah man don't tell me that. I have started to have this same exact problem this past week. My right shoulder is hurting me. I think it is from the dumbbell flys so I am going to do the flys on a machine from now on. My shoulder hurt like hell when I tried to do dips the other day which prevented me from performing the exercise. Anyway my right shoulder starts to hurt every now and then when I over stress it. I think it has something to do with a time when I fell on it and heard a snapping noise a couple years ago. I guess I should go to the Doctor's but I am afraid of hearing bad news. =(

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    Well i had the same problem and i had to go to the docs to get it sorted. Turns out i needed a op , i needed a thermal capsula shrinkage done on the front of my delt. The arm had come loose in the shoulder and the muscle was a bit baggy at the front so they cut a small hole in the skin stuck in a hot rod and rubbed it up and down the muscle. I had my arm in a sling for two weeks and im just starting to lift weights now . And that was about 7 weeks ago.
    Its not as bad as it sounds and thats the very basics of what it could be.
    good luck and go to the docs
    How did they diagnose this? Did you get a second opinion before they operated?
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Intensity - You def should go and see a doctor, preferably someone who deals with sports related injuries and understand what kind of exercises you are doing. To me it sounds like you have an AC joint problem and/or a RC (rotator cuff) problem.

Take a look at these sites. They have some good info on shoulder injuries, some even have what Drs look for in diagnosis.

http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/19...99/mcmahon.htm

http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/s...shoulderqa.htm

Keep us informed, good luck.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericg
    How did they diagnose this? Did you get a second opinion before they operated?
    Well i went to see the doc first who sent me to a physio, after a couple of weeks of not really knowing why my shoulder was giving me so much trouble,he said i should get an MRI scan. So i went private saw another doc who deals with just sports injurys and he thought i had a S.L.A.P lesion and that was what they were going to operate on . Anyway the opened up my shoulder and found that the muscle was all baggy and not holding my arm in place.

Today was the first time in 5 months that i have been able to bench press and there was no pain still on a light weight but i'm getting there.

Banned
    did your shoulder hurt for a long time before hand? or 6 weeks ago it just started to hurt?

Frank Zane-ification
    I have like "double-jointed" shoulders that hurt like a b*tch when I do lat raises or any shoulder exercises for that matter. I have to go through physical therapy and maybe get an op done, so that the joint doesn't slide back and forth as I lift weight, cuz that can lead to a permanent problem. And my old knee injury is coming back and I have to go get an x-ray for that...and my life basically sucks right now.
    Last edited by EviscerationX; 09-18-2004 at 02:57 PM.
    "Hey skinny, I can see your ribs!" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Wannabebig New Member
    I had a partial tear in my shoulder a couple years ago and I'm just starting to have no pain . Baby it bro or you'll ruin it .

315 for 3 reps the other day and I think thats as high as I'm gonna go so I dont reinjure it .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .