Thread: Hello everyone, i need some guidance!

Going from cut to build

Hello everyone, i need some guidance!

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum, and as you may have guessed I'm looking for a little help.

I've always been a big (READ: fat) guy, for as long as I can remember. Anyways, in February, I finally made the choice to lose some weight. When I started out, I was 6'3" and weighed in at 340lbs of muscle-less wonder.

So, with some help and a little guidance from my best buddy, I cut out all the stuff that was doing me in. I quit boozing (cold turkey) and I just quit eating bad food. I only drank water, skim milk, juice, and occasionally coffee. Because I was somewhat ignorant at first, I was only taking in around 1200 calories a day. I know that sounds extreme, and it is, but I somehow did that for about a month. After some more in-depth reading, I realized I needed to take in more. Typically, I'll take down around 1500-2000 calories a day now.

On top of the diet changes, I also began using the dusty old treadmill in the basement.

As of today, I run 4 miles every day (7 days a week), I'm still taking in around 1500-2000 calories a day and I've lost 120lbs in 7 months.

Now I weigh in at 220lbs, and I'm kind of torn as to what I should do next. I want to put on muscle, but nothing crazy, just toned and non-flabby for now. Should I continue my cut for another 20lbs or so then hit the weights? or should I hit the weights now?

Should I be looking at any supplements?

Whenever I do hit the weights, what would be a good routine? I'm pretty damn weak in my upper body, but my legs are pretty solid from carrying around so much weight.

Any help/guidance you guys could provide would be much appreciated. Sorry about the novel, and I appologize if I left any details out that you'd need to know to help me better, and if I did forget anything, just let me know and I'll post it up.

Thanks again,
    Chippies

Beaver ******
    I'm pretty new here too. As far as a routine, I suggest looking at the main page for a bunch of exercises they have based on how much time you have during the week and if you want do splits or fullbody workouts.

I haven't been here long enough, or experienced enough to give any great advice, hopefully someone will come along and answer you a lot better.

Bigger every day!
    Chippies, to be honest, when you first starting what you are doing is not nearly as important as doing it properly (learn form). However, before we can really make you a plan, what do you have access to? When i started, i took the big 3 excercises (dead/squat/bench) and then tossed in some body weight excercises (chins/dips) and some minor other excersises.

The important thing is not to overwork yourself, and keep your days less then 1 hour long. When you first start lifting, it will probably hurt like a B****.

Ohh congrats on loosing your weight, now its time to really look awsome!

wow damn man 120lbs in 7 months whoa ur my hero...and you didnt use any of those damn informercial offers..

well to tell u the truth i dont take suppliemnts.. ive found suppliments arent needed unless your really serious about huge short term gains.

Your right to drink lots of milk and water. Drink lots of it since our body 70% water.. a 1% dehydration can really do some mad damage to your body.

As for your next steps you should really think about "who" as suich you want to end up looking like.

You said you wanted tone, but this is really hard to do if you have more than 15% body fat. Best chances is reaching a 10% or lower body fast percentage, and itll come. Toning is just a common word for low intensity exercise inorder get rid of body fat. What happens is as there is less bodyfat between your muscle and skin more of your muscles show and you get to see your muscles more.

Also take into consideration the extra skin you will most probably have, as i have had the same probably with my arm. As i lost weight i found alot of my arm is saggy skin :9 so i decided to pump them up, therfore my skin wont need to stretch to accomodate the new muscle and i wont look "skinny fat". My suggestion is get to that 10% body fat level then start body building like never before.

try the Max-OT program found at www.ast.ss.com its a free sign up, but team universe has used this. Of this program i have used only the basic idea of the routine and cardio. I do nto use suppliments since i find aux naturel is da best. I mean as products become more and more refined different side effects appear and im not willing to take any risks, and i havent found any bad side effects of eating healthy.

So my overall suggestion to you is go to www.ast-ss.com read on the max-ot traiing schedual weeks 1-3 i believe and look up Max-OT cardio. This will cover your routine, diet, and warmups. Then you can decide if you want to get your body visibly buff and try to get that extra skin pulled over lea muscle.

Hope this helps

Ya me hab bad grammer and spleling...so what?

Shad
    think youve got an edge on me? think again.

Shad

Going from cut to build
    As for your next steps you should really think about "who" as suich you want to end up looking like.

I don't know who I want to 'look like' - I guess my goal is to be able to take my shirt off at the beach, and not feel embarrased (provided I recieve a thorough waxing before hand! lol)

You said you wanted tone, but this is really hard to do if you have more than 15% body fat

Alright, how does one calculate their body fat percentage? I know my BMI is 27.5 kg/m^2, but that's about it.

Also take into consideration the extra skin you will most probably have

Is there any way to, umm.. 'shrink' this skin? or am I stuck with a baggy body until I can replace that with muscle?

Thanks alot for your replies/compliments! I am going to read over that program you recomended, and try to soak up as much of that as I can.

Chippies

lol ditto to the waxing

alright well the thing here about body fat is that there are MANY estimations you can get off the internet and unreliable appliances you can bujy at radioshack. All those use a simple mathematical calculation that you could probably guess yourself. But if you can get your hands on a scale that is designed basically for the sole purpose of testing body fat, its REALLY accurate. How it works is it sends electrical signals through your body and because these signals pass through fat slower than muscle and organs it can accuratley tell you your bf%. But try mabye 10 of the online versions and write down each of them, then try a couple of the cheap appliances, take an average from both individual sources.

When i said "who" do you want to look like, i mean is like arnold (back in his prime, not his saggy boobs today tuttut ), or wanna look lean but muscular, the average body builder strives for this image, or you just wanna be skinny but tone. Decide what you want then you have to base your program on this. the website i had mentioned earlier has a general recipie for the arnold or "average body builder's image". But becoming skinny and tones requires a much different approach.

well for the extra skin, low carb diets are said to help, but im unsure of this working since you might end up loosing muscle mass in the process. Surgery is another way of doing this, but as i said before im all natural i hate doing anything to my body that isnt through normal human adaptation. If i were you i would get to about 15% body fat then start building(not sure where you are at right now), since results dont come yesterday its going to take time, and the first bit of time you will be spending on weight training youll make many errors. So as you weight train keep with the body fat loss schedual and make sure to push yourself, there should be no "light" days.

also be sure to understand what you are eating and who it affects you, wether it will promote an anabolic state (muscle building state) or a catabolic state (a muscle loss state).

if you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me
    think youve got an edge on me? think again.

Shad

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    Hey,
    first, drop from 7 days a week to 6. take a day off to give your body some recoop time. Congrats on the weight loss, i bet you feel great, too bad we cant all drop that much weight and be famous like Jerry. I could eat subs forever. anyways, start with toning then you might get addicted and get bigger (like me) but first off. if you're under 20% bf and want to tone, i'd do that now. People probably already like your new size so you've got time before they expect more I would use it to build a little. Once you're nice and tone, then you can finish cutting. try to switch up your cardio with bike or swimming. The reason for that is to keep your body guessing and use other muscles. even pro runners switch up their routine.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -