The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

at least 48 hours rest?

I have been training twice a week at the gym for about three months now. I don't go three times because I don't do legs (I know, I know, will start someday) So basically I train each muscle or muscle group once a week. After embarking on a serious bulk in which I've gained about 7 pounds in two weeks I've noticed that my recovery time is much shorter and I'm alot less sore after more intense workouts, so I've decided to try the twice a week thing.

My new routine consists of Mondays and Thursdays being Chest, Shoulders, Triceps. And Tuesday and Friday being Back, Biceps and Deadlifts. I hear that even though some people think that the same muscle twice a week is overdoing it, I've also been told that as long as they get at least a 48 hour rest, it's ok. And with my routine that's exactly what they're getting. Is my routine ok as long as each muscle group gets 48 hours of rest?
    "There is no I in Communism" - Ayn Rand

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The Big Wang
    personally.. i think 48 hrs is a LONG rest time.. i think u are fine with 24 hrs of rest..

can anyone agree with me?..

Wannabebig Member
    Brokensword - according to an artical written by Scott Buckmaster "Ultimate Muscle Mass" printed by Mile High Publishing on volume training he insists on 76hrs rest before training that same body part.

I sounds like to me your not train hard enough to recover that quick dont get me wrong im not digging at you but i see so many people say i goto the gym and train hard yet when i come along with them to see they no longer want to train with me.

Each person will perceive there own training intensity, try having a work out with someone new whos hardcore or go visit another gym just to see.

You may reach a whole new level

Wannabebig Member
    Now, between both of these posts, I'm much more confused than before.

Also, is it ok to work the same muscles if they are still slightly sore?

Wannabebig Member
    Yea....

I just went to the gym today and decided to try out this new routine. So today just as yesterday I got to the gym with some, mostly minimal soreness on my muscles that I had already worked earlier during the week. As I worked out I noticed that the soreness was going away as I got more blood flowing and more pump in the muscles. I now feel no soreness at all, but I bet I will tommorrow seeing as it was pretty intense today.

Also, yea I asked around in the gym today and most people think it's ok to work on 48hrs rest. One guy even told me that I should have started out like that ,with lower intensity sets, and then moved into a routine where the muscles were only worked once a week with higher intensity and lower reps. His reasoning is that once your muscles have a good strong foundation then you can really rip them apart with heavy heavy weights which would leave you needing alot more recovery time but adding mass on quicker. I know there are more people here that can help me out with this, but just to be more specific here's my routine.

Monday and Thursday (Chest, delts, tri)

Bench 4 x 10
    incline bench 3 x 10
    DB chest fly 3 x 10
    Pec Dec machine 4 x 10
    military press 4 x 10
    DB shoulder press 4 x 10
    lateral raises 3 x 10
    Cable raises 3 x 10

Tuesday and Fiday (Back, Bi)

Deadlifts 3 x 5
    Lat pulldowns 4 x 10
    seated cable rows 4 x 10
    standing BB row 3 x 10
    BB curls 3 x 10
    hammer curls 3 x 10
    preacher curls 4 x 10

Ok, so this look ok?

Train your Legs.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Patrick
    Train your Legs.
    three reasons why I won't (yet)

1. My legs are pretty solid and way ahead of my upper body in terms of mass due to my involvement in Kickboxing and from when I was obese and carrying 80lbs of fat around all day.

2. ^ Kickboxing. I'm not supposed to be training my legs hard since I already train them pretty hard (sans weights) three days a week at Kickboxing. I could also risk injuring my legs or loosing flexibillity (on my bodies most important weapons) if I'm not careful.

3. I want to give my upper body some time to catch up to my freakishly huge (in proportion to my body) legs.

Now, don't get me wrong, I still OCCASIONALLY train my legs with weights, but I don't dedicate a day to them at the gym.

I'm also pretty sure Deadlifts work your legs pretty well.

well in ym ersonal experience.. i find that what you have said here is sufficent

i dont suppliment..

if you were taking creatine suppliments then you would probably have a 24 hr rest.. but personally i never workout while ym muscles are still sore.. unless im working on a different part of my body.

A minimum time is between workouts is indefinatley 24 hours.. but dont count on your muscles to be recovered.. so i find that working on different body parts with 24 hr intervals works better.. ive personnaly seen more gains this way.
    think youve got an edge on me? think again.

Shad

Quote Originally Posted by abwowang
    personally.. i think 48 hrs is a LONG rest time.. i think u are fine with 24 hrs of rest..

can anyone agree with me?..
    I can't agree. He's talking about how much rest for one body part. You say 24 hours is enough? So basically he can do the same thing every day?? I don't think so. If you're working out with any kind of intensity that won't work.