Thread: Heavy deadlifts thicken the waistline?

but not that small either

Heavy deadlifts thicken the waistline?

I try to increse my deadlift poundage each session, but a friend told me if you get too heavy, it will thicken your waist. Now I already have a rather large waist (35.5 inches off-season, but wide lats so it doesn't look that big), and I don't want it to get any bigger, so is this true?

Thanks.
    Last edited by notSoBig Guy; 10-30-2001 at 08:07 PM.

It'll make your core stronger and shouldn't make it any bigger unless your eating in excess.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    One way to look at it is that you will most likely need to increase the strength/thickness of your midsection to get a lot stronger on deads. Heavy compund lifts like squats, deads, OH presses will put a ton of stress on the abs.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

i'm gonna say that it would contribute to a thicker waistline yes. You'll prolly find that squats deads and chins are all the ab training you'll need.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

YES! it most certainly does thicken your obliques, quite a bit actually. i only do dead every other week.
    "The harder you train, the harder it is to give up" ~Vince Lombardi~

Maybe a little, but it won't make you blocky unless you already are. Waist size is determined by bones...

I think yes, they will increase the size of your waist somewhat. Some of the muscles they work are the spinal erectors. Like any muscle, they'll thicken with use. Personally I don't mind a thick muscular and strong looking midsection. I'm not after a narrow bber waist, nor will I probably ever have one. I like squats and deads too much.

If you want a tight narrow waist, train abs with very high reps every day (apart from losing fat). That will overtrain them and make them shrink. We know we shouldn't work biceps every day with high reps because that will stop them from growing and even make them shrink. So why not the abs?

Well, that's my theory anyway.

Well, abs and obliques aren't really prone to hypertrophy anyway; they'll get stronger but rarely get bigger. The pelvis will not increase in size because of deads either.

Actually, working these muscles can in some cases create a "girdle" effect, which might suck your gut in. Now, the one thing is that any maximal effort movement that involves pushing OUT your gut and tensing it there may create a "muscle memory" effect; meaning you'll be more prone to having your gut stick out when you relax. I have noticed this phenomena; i'm not 100% sure it's verifiable, but what I've read on it sounds interesting.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Bigger fewl
    Belial is right. They do stress the core muscles alot, but these muscles can't get very big anyways. Train them hard, don't worry about them getting disgustingly big, because it won't happen.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow!

Carpe diem

Milk.... it does the body good.

Originally posted by DaChickenShowYo
    , but these muscles can't get very big anyways.
    Hahahaha...erm, have you seen the state of Ronnie Coleman?
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Those are his organs lol

Anavar eating mofo
    I'm wondering if deads incease the size of your lower back, cause my waist as grown 2 inches but my six pack is still very much showing.
    Theres something inside me that pulls beneath the surface.............
    -Linkin Park

how come people always talk about 6packs when you have 8 abs?

I'm wondering if deads incease the size of your lower back, cause my waist as grown 2 inches but my six pack is still very much showing.

Yes. My point exactly.

how come people always talk about 6packs when you have 8 abs?

They don't show for everyone. I think it's an unusual trait for them to show for most people.

Of course I have to take it on faith that I have any abs.