Thread: Juicing for better or worse?

Juicing for better or worse?

I was wondering, what would be more healthy.

Eating fruits and Veggies or Juicing them?

For example:

In the morning I juice 2 oranges, 2 apples, some blueberries, a few strawberries, a lemon and a lime.

Mid-Evening I juice 6 carrots, 2 bricks of celery, some spinish, and basil.

Now my questions is, is jucing these fruits and veggies healthy? Am I actually getting something out of them or am I just wasting my time? Should I be eating them instead of juicing?

I also tend to eat a plum or two, some bannans a salad, and steamed potattoes. Is that better then juicing or would you say doing both is a better idea?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Wannabebig Member
    Is that your whole diet? Where is the protein?

But i have to admit, with that amount of fruits/veggies, you are getting plenty of great nutrients. I've recently changed my diet by adding plenty of fruits and vegetables and it's great. Fresh food makes you feel good and hearty.

Eating fruits and veg whole is generally better than juicing them. Juicing removes much of the fibre, which alone is reason enough to eat them whole; it also raises their glycemic index (though that's not something to worry about too much). I'm not sure what impact (if any) it has on vitamin and mineral content.

Juicing fruit and veg is still healthy though, so if it were a choice of juicing them or not eating them at all then juicing is infinitely preferable. And it can sometimes be far more convenient to drink something than to eat, so use your judgement. The more you can eat whole the better, but you need to balance that with your lifestyle and what you enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowless
    I was wondering, what would be more healthy.

Eating fruits and Veggies or Juicing them?

For example:

In the morning I juice 2 oranges, 2 apples, some blueberries, a few strawberries, a lemon and a lime.

Mid-Evening I juice 6 carrots, 2 bricks of celery, some spinish, and basil.

Now my questions is, is jucing these fruits and veggies healthy? Am I actually getting something out of them or am I just wasting my time? Should I be eating them instead of juicing?

I also tend to eat a plum or two, some bannans a salad, and steamed potattoes. Is that better then juicing or would you say doing both is a better idea?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
    Whether or not to juice depends on your current status, cutting or bulking. If you are bulking, then it's ok. You'll lose some of the fiber, as stated above, but it's a good way to get the cals in.

For cutting, probably not a good idea. Again, you want to feel full so liquid foods won't do that for you. Calories will probably be low either way but again, you'll feel hungry much earlier if taken in liquid form.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Quote Originally Posted by Lance
    Is that your whole diet? Where is the protein?

But i have to admit, with that amount of fruits/veggies, you are getting plenty of great nutrients. I've recently changed my diet by adding plenty of fruits and vegetables and it's great. Fresh food makes you feel good and hearty.
    No that's not my whole diet. That's kinda of a sum up of what I eat everyday without thinking. I also eat nuts and seeds, had pasta and tuna on rye as well yesterday for an example. I'm only 120 so I don't think I need as much protein as people think. I think 75-80 grams is fine for me imo.

As for the jucing and fibre part, I disagree. Sure the skin of a fruit has the most fibre but you still get some fibre out of the jucing. Put it this way, I can juice all those fruits in the same time as it would take to eat 2 apples. Not with all that juice I'm sure there's the same amount if not more fibre in the juicing of several fruits. Also from what I hear juicing gets the nutramints into your body faster and more conviently. I'm no expert though so I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Shadowless; 09-13-2004 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    Whether or not to juice depends on your current status, cutting or bulking. If you are bulking, then it's ok. You'll lose some of the fiber, as stated above, but it's a good way to get the cals in.

For cutting, probably not a good idea. Again, you want to feel full so liquid foods won't do that for you. Calories will probably be low either way but again, you'll feel hungry much earlier if taken in liquid form.
    I am trying to bulk up. I dunno about the fiber though. Maybe it's these pills I'm taking but I use the bathroom (number 2) atleast twice a day.

Since you are bulking then don't worry about it. Juice away.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Ok cool, thanks for the input guys. Anyone know the best combinations to juice? Sometimes I hear if you drink certain juices together they kinda act against each other and you don't get anything from it.

Is it ok to juice different fruits and veggies at once?

Anyone..

I just juiced 6 carrots, 2 tomatoes, 1 onion and some Parsley. Pretty much the nasties thing I ever drank, and I have drank some nasty things in my days.

Again, since you are bulking, won't make a difference what you mix together. And yes, that shake you made looks really nasty.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

I wannabebig!
    if you want to... but juice something you'dwant to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowless
    Is it ok to juice different fruits and veggies at once?
    yes its a good idea. The amount of fiber in a serving of fruits and veggies isn't worth crying about IMHO, assuming your getting fiber from other sources.

Juicing veggies is a great idea, aim for a variety of color in the veggies for greater distribution of phytochemcials.

I had the idea of juicing a motley array of fruits and veggies together and pouring the contents into an ice tray and freezing it all up, thinking that 1-2 cubes per day would provide all the need benefits in terms of phyto's. Vits and minerals you can get just as easily from other foods and supplements (IMHO)

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    if you want to... but juice something you'dwant to drink.

LOL

Yeah that's the hard part, with veggies everything taste bad. But when it comes to juicing fruits when I have atleast 2 oranges everythings all good cause no matter what else I put into the juicer it taste more like orange juice and is very easy to go down.

I try to juice fruits and veggies atleast once each a day if not more. I'm also taking wheatgrass powder if anyone knows what that is, basicly from what I know it's like a veggie supplement. Besides that I spend the rest of my day eating nuts/seeds, fruits and veggies raw. I steam food and eat salads and soups. Have some snacks thrown in their as well.

I also take a Kelp pill each day as well. Just a rough idea of my diet I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    yes its a good idea. The amount of fiber in a serving of fruits and veggies isn't worth crying about IMHO, assuming your getting fiber from other sources.

Juicing veggies is a great idea, aim for a variety of color in the veggies for greater distribution of phytochemcials.

I had the idea of juicing a motley array of fruits and veggies together and pouring the contents into an ice tray and freezing it all up, thinking that 1-2 cubes per day would provide all the need benefits in terms of phyto's. Vits and minerals you can get just as easily from other foods and supplements (IMHO)
    That's a really good idea.

Frank Zane-ification
    V8 tomato juice tastes pretty bomb, except for all the damn sodium...at least I remember there being sodium...or do I?
    "Hey skinny, I can see your ribs!" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Try apples with carrots and a little bit of lemon.. it tastes great
    "It is not fate that has lead us to be what we are. Nor is it entirely choice. But it is up to us to have faith that what we do is for the greater good. We must believe in ourselves."

My journal

Ok, Ghostrider thanks I'll try it tomorrow.