Thread: Double question about mass routine and the benefits of stretching.

Wannabebig Member

Double question about mass routine and the benefits of stretching.

My cousin and I have just started lifting again after a two week break. We've been lifting for about a total of two months, and although we have seen nice improvements, I'm trying to stream-line the workouts so as to make it easier on our schedules and bodies (the break was because my cousin pulled his bicep pretty badly). We followed a slightly modified WBB #1.

To replace this, I'm basically following Chris Mason's mass routine. I'm planning on a two-day split during the week, with maybe one or two isolation exercise supplements to the routine. This is what I have planned so far:

(All exercises are done at 3 sets with around 5 reps, not taken to failure, with progression as suggested in the Mason article)

Monday:
    1. Bench Press
    2. Deadlifts
    3. Chins
    4. Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    5. Calf-Raises

Thursday:
    1. Squats
    2. Seated Military Press
    3. Rows
    4. Dips

I'm pretty excited to start this and to see how we grow.

My first question, regarding the routine: My cousin has fairly weak hamstrings compared to the rest of his body, and he feels that it is hindering his sprinting in baseball (I think it's his form, it looks horrible, but maybe if he strengthens his hamstrings it'll help fix it). So I'm considering adding some seated hamstring curls on Thursday... do you all think that the addition of that is needed, or will deadlifts be enough? Any other suggestions in regards to hamstrings, or maybe adding something completely different?

Second question, regarding stretching: We normally stretched before we lifted, but I've read some articles on other websites saying that this is something that can hinder strength when done right before a lift, and should only be done after lifting. What do you all think about that? We didn't even do warm-up sets before we started lifting, and just stretched beforehand to warm-up. I've definitely changed that this time around.

And that's it, sorry for being so long-winded, but this stuff is addicting. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by Johnny3; 09-13-2004 at 02:39 AM.

Gonna Be Big
    Hi
    ive have also decided to start this routine with a few changes.
    in the article chris recommends a 2 day split performed twice a week.
    as i can only go to the gym 3 times a week, i was wondering if a routine like this would work aswell as the routine in chris masons article. i have added a few isolation exercises to the areas i think need more improvement.

Monday

Flat barbell bench
    Chins
    Shoulder Press
    Shrugs
    Seated Rows

Wednesday

Squats
    Calf Raises
    Dips
    Tricep Extensions
    Lying Leg Curls

Friday

Flat Barbell Bench
    Squats
    Chins
    Dumbell Curls
    Shoulder press

Any advice apreciated.

cheers

Jamie
    Age = 18
    Sex = Male
    Height = 5ft,8in
    Weight = 150lbs / Goal 170lbs
    Bench = 132lbs*10reps / Goal 180lbs*10 reps
    Squat = Starting 14/11/04 / Goal 132lbs*10 reps

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny3
    Second question, regarding stretching: We normally stretched before we lifted, but I've read some articles on other websites saying that this is something that can hinder strength when done right before a lift, and should only be done after lifting. What do you all think about that? We didn't even do warm-up sets before we started lifting, and just stretched beforehand to warm-up. I've definitely changed that this time around.
    I agree that it makes you weaker. I think you're better off doing more warmup sets instead of stretching. Most injuries happen because of bad form and not being properly warmed up, not so much because of inflexibility (excluding powerlifts).

Lifting For Strength
    For your lifts I would recommend doing enough warm up sets. I will sometimes stretch after my 2nd working set or after my last working set before moving on to loosen up from heavy lifts.

About the hamstrings, deadlifts will hit them hard. You might also throw in Stiff-Legged Deadlifts, as these focus even more so on the hamstrings. Good Mornings work similarly to the SLDLs as well.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Lance Storm (WWE Superstar) wrote in a commentary that he stretches AFTER his workout, as opposed to before. I forget the exact reason's he gave.

I'd take his word for it though. His style is high flying/technical (VERY injury prone style), yet he has been injured 0 times. Flexible fella too, and big aswell.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

3:16
    its better to use warm up weights.

streatching before exercise such as weight as not be shown to decrease the chance of injury.
    excessive stretching before a work out has been shown to decrease your strength. though i do means lots of strecthing by this.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.