The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Long Distance Runners vs Sprinters

I was wondering. I see these long distance runners and they are mostly very skinny, and then I see these sprinters and they are very well built and cut. Why is this? Does long distance running cut back on your lean muscle tissue?
    *Another Question is: If I want to build up my calves/legs, is it better to do stair climbing cardio for 10-15 min or running on the cardio machine for 10-15 min; What are the pros and cons of these two? :withstupi

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wannabebig!
    there are many topics on this, use the search function... but heres some food for thought... why would a distance runner want to be big when he would have to carry all that weight for a long distance?

i doubt running will make your legs grow much btw
    PROFILE, COMMENT PLZ
    My Journal

Lot's of information out there on this topic. A few of the thing's that alway's standed out to me is that; #1. Aerobic Exercise reduce's Free Testosterone level's by up to %40, #2. Any excess body weight is detrimental to a long distance runner, but a sprinter need's some mass for strength and explosion, and #3. Long Distance workout's, burn's off more muscle than sprinting. BUT, that last point is debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by SalahG
    Lot's of information out there on this topic. A few of the thing's that alway's standed out to me is that; #1. Aerobic Exercise reduce's Free Testosterone level's by up to %40, #2. Any excess body weight is detrimental to a long distance runner, but a sprinter need's some mass for strength and explosion, and #3. Long Distance workout's, burn's off more muscle than sprinting. BUT, that last point is debatable.

:withstupi

Quote Originally Posted by Dereksolo
    I was wondering. I see these long distance runners and they are mostly very skinny, and then I see these sprinters and they are very well built and cut. Why is this?
    Theres an old saying that elite runners are born, not made. People are born with different percentages of fast and slow twitch muscle fibers, with varying heart and lung capacities, and with different skeletal constructions. Elite sprinters and distance runners would look very different regardless of how they trained.

If you want size and strength in your legs you will need to work them with weights. If you want muscular endurance, work with high reps and do some running. You should be more specific about what your goals are if you want the best advice.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by –ragons
    i doubt running will make your legs grow much btw

I went from flabby calves with no defenition to rock solid calves once I started running 30+ miles a week. Gained an inch or two as well. Calves are muscles that respond well to high reps, generally. It makes sense.

Anyway, long distance runners are skinny because when you run for that long, you burn muscle and calories in general, so you'll end up very skinny and with very little fat or muscle on you. It's advantageous to the sport.

Sprinters run in short bursts so they don't burn protein for energy or burn a lot of calories, and they all lift weights to be faster/more explosive. Distance runners probably lift weights too, but most likely in the 20+ rep range because top speed/strength has about 0 effect on their race.

well long distance runners are skinny because they use up their glycomeds very fast, which leaves you drawing energy from different other sources.. i.e. fat, when there is none of this left you start burning muscle.

short distance runners burn less calories since its is a short explosion of energy.
    think youve got an edge on me? think again.

Shad

When I go to the gym, I workout for about 1-1.5 hours. I just started to add running to my routine. After my workout, I head to the treadmill and run for 10 min. I currently run about 1.3 miles in 10 min. because I just started. My goal is to build more stamina but I don't want to start loosing muscle. Do you think 10 min. of fast paced running after my workouts would lead to any kind of muscle loss or just fat loss? I want to run this about 4 days a week because I like to run and it would help to further develop my calves.
    Current Stats= 5'7" , 20 yrs old, 138lbs.