The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Type of Muscle Fibers vs. Size

I was on another forum and am looking for some information relating to a guys comment.

He said that he was much bigger than his buddy even though they were the same height/weight.

I countered with the thinking that it was probably due to his having a higher bf % (I've always heard that muscle weighs more than fat).

He disagreed with this saying that "actually it depends on what type of muscle fibers we are comaparing....type I/II/x Type II muscle fibers are the ones associated w/ weight lifting so they are thicker and more striated and contain more nuclei thus take up more space. Type I is associated w/ long endurance, they are thinner and require less energy, hence skinny but well defined marathon runners. I have moslty type x, an intermediate and my friend has close to nil...."

So my question is, is a person with fast twitch or Type II muscle fibers noticeably bigger than a person of the same weight who has more slow twitch or type I fibers?

I found a great link (http://www.coachr.org/fiber.htm) on the differences of the muscle fibers etc. and it even states that Slow twitch have a high capillary density and Fast twitch have a low density...but I'm still skeptical that this can make a big size difference between two people. Thoughts?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidI
    IHe disagreed with this saying that "actually it depends on what type of muscle fibers we are comaparing....type I/II/x Type II muscle fibers are the ones associated w/ weight lifting so they are thicker and more striated and contain more nuclei thus take up more space. Type I is associated w/ long endurance, they are thinner and require less energy, hence skinny but well defined marathon runners. I have moslty type x, an intermediate and my friend has close to nil...."

So my question is, is a person with fast twitch or Type II muscle fibers noticeably bigger than a person of the same weight who has more slow twitch or type I fibers?
    You should ignore this fool, or better yet ask him for a picture of his type II fibers. No, wait, you tell him you've got him beat because you have type x fibers.

But to answer your question, I really, really doubt it. Skeletal muscle contains a mix of the 3 fibers and it would be really hard to attribute overall size to differences in them.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

I think you were right and the info that he countered with is crap - to put it bluntly. If both weigh 200lbs and one is 10% and the other is 30%, you will see a very big difference. Now if both are 10%, they can vary in size depending on where they hold their fat. I dunno.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

The answer is both yes and no. Type IIa and IIb fibre types are the ones that experience hypertrophy, while Type I are much smaller. But to say one person has more or less isn't necessarily the case. It's just a matter of your training. If someone is training for endurance his body will adapt to utilizing oxygen as a primary fuel source, so the type I fibres will be placed under more stress, while a powerlifter or bodybuilder type who is lifting heavy will be stressing both, but the added stress will be causing hypertrophy which is mainly the type II fibres. Both types will utilize all fuels sources to some degree, and will be stressed in training regardless. But to say one persons ratio is greater than anothers is a bit ignorant without a muscle biopsy.

Your frame will dictate how much muscle you can hold, and your metabolism will determine how easily you can put on that muscle.

It's just a failed attempt to sound intelligent on his part in my opinion.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Oh, and what are type x fibre types? I have never read of them, usually people speak of type IId fibres, which aren't in existence in humans.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Yup, type IId/x, not in humans, only some small mammals and smart asses.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Wannabebig Member
    thanx guys, I was 90% sure this guy was talking out of his ass but at the same time I didn't want to argue with him and turn out completely wrong!

Is his name gopro?

Current FFFA Enforcer