The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    is way too skinny!

Head pain after squats???

Hey guys, I just got back from the gym and I quit early because of headpains I had while squatting!

I was doing only 95 lbs (a 25 lb weight on each side + bar) and this time I decided to do FULL 90 degree or more squats. I did 3 sets. On the first set no problems (10 reps), took about a 60 to 90 sec. break, went in for Set 2, no problems again.

On set 3 I knew I was going to struggle so I asked for a guy to spot me, by the 5th rep I started to feel a very dull pain in the side of my head (right side) I completed the next 5 reps, but after that, man was my head hurting!! It still aches a little now (30 minutes later) but not bad at all.

What happened?
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

When you start to do hard work (lifting) your blood pressure goes up quite a bit. Since asstofloor squats are new to you, your bp could've went up quite high in a short amount of time. Did it feel like a dull headache and throb with your heart? Happened to me but then I found out I had high bp and now I take a little 150mg pill every morning and it's all good now. No more headaches during hard lifting. This could be your problem, get your bp checked. If it's high bp, headaches and pains could be the least of your problems.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

is way too skinny!
    Quote Originally Posted by superior_will
    When you start to do hard work (lifting) your blood pressure goes up quite a bit. Since asstofloor squats are new to you, your bp could've went up quite high in a short amount of time. Did it feel like a dull headache and throb with your heart? Happened to me but then I found out I had high bp and now I take a little 150mg pill every morning and it's all good now. No more headaches during hard lifting. This could be your problem, get your bp checked. If it's high bp, headaches and pains could be the least of your problems.
    No heart problems, just my head hurting like a biatch...

What do you mean the least of my problems??? My BP has almost always been pretty normal / athlete level (even though I didn't do much at the time)
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

Good thing bp not high. By least of prob's I was reffering to high bp being deadly for some because it gives few if any signals. It was my prob. so I just wanted to see if it was yours. Glad it's not and I have no other brilliant ideas lol.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

1997T-Bird, concentrate on exhaling on your way up when squatting.

Pay attention to form. They say to look upwards a little bit while squatting. I'm not sure why but that trick helped me keep better balance early on when I started squatting.

If you find that you have a hard time exhaling cleanly and you are struggling, ask someone around you to look and see if your face is turning red and your veins poping out when you squat. You really want to focus on using the muscles in your legs and not tensing up everything in your body if you are struggling with reps. I constantly have to make a mental effort to think about where I'm trying to get my power from, and where I am not. If you don't, you risk injuries and hernia.
    Last edited by zen; 09-15-2004 at 08:17 PM.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

Quote Originally Posted by 1997T-Bird
    Hey guys, I just got back from the gym and I quit early because of headpains I had while squatting!

I was doing only 95 lbs (a 25 lb weight on each side + bar) and this time I decided to do FULL 90 degree or more squats. I did 3 sets. On the first set no problems (10 reps), took about a 60 to 90 sec. break, went in for Set 2, no problems again.

On set 3 I knew I was going to struggle so I asked for a guy to spot me, by the 5th rep I started to feel a very dull pain in the side of my head (right side) I completed the next 5 reps, but after that, man was my head hurting!! It still aches a little now (30 minutes later) but not bad at all.

What happened?
    What type of head pain is it?

I went to the gym after being sick and had to quit early, I also had headaches.

Mine feel kinda like what a sore neck would feel but in my head. I would use the word "cloudy" to describe my headaches. I only can imagine it's from lifting to hard and maybe blood rushing to my head but I honestly don't know.

When you lift your blood preasure goes up, when you hold your breath and lift it goes up even more. Proper breathing is very important.

I made a the mistake when I first started lifting of holding my breath while struggling with some shoulder presses. I think I must have busted a small blood vessel b/c for a week or two afterwards I would have some pain in my head while lifting, even while breathing correctly. It sucked. I learned my lesson.

However, if you get dizzy spells, cordination problems, blackout, or continue to feel 'cloudy' then go see a doc.

i just hope you didnt drop the weight on your head......
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

i have problems exhaling correctly on heavy squats. my face gets all ugly and turns beet red, but i never have had any pains from it.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

is way too skinny!
    Quote Originally Posted by zen
    1997T-Bird, concentrate on exhaling on your way up when squatting.

Pay attention to form. They say to look upwards a little bit while squatting. I'm not sure why but that trick helped me keep better balance early on when I started squatting.

If you find that you have a hard time exhaling cleanly and you are struggling, ask someone around you to look and see if your face is turning red and your veins poping out when you squat. You really want to focus on using the muscles in your legs and not tensing up everything in your body if you are struggling with reps. I constantly have to make a mental effort to think about where I'm trying to get my power from, and where I am not. If you don't, you risk injuries and hernia.
    Zen, I think you are right, because I noticed myself looking down on a few reps, and I am unsure of how to breathe when squatting. This probably caused it for sure.

Inhale down, exhale up?

Thanks for the replies so far guys.
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

Quote Originally Posted by anyone
    When you lift your blood preasure goes up, when you hold your breath and lift it goes up even more. Proper breathing is very important.

I made a the mistake when I first started lifting of holding my breath while struggling with some shoulder presses. I think I must have busted a small blood vessel b/c for a week or two afterwards I would have some pain in my head while lifting, even while breathing correctly. It sucked. I learned my lesson.

However, if you get dizzy spells, cordination problems, blackout, or continue to feel 'cloudy' then go see a doc.

Was feeling dizzy/lightheaded/fatigued/headaches/tired for about 3 weeks. Saw a doctor and he said it was a "Viral Infection" I wasn't sure where I got it but then last week I went back to the gym after a 3 week hiatius sadenly I was no where as strong as I was 3 weeks ago. I did a few sets but started to get a headache again so I stopped. Going to take another week off.

I wasn't sure how I got sick but now I'm 100% sure it's from the gym, I breathe right and lift right so I dunno what else it could be. I did hear that a gym is the number 1 place to catch a sickness though.

Registered Cracker
    Sounds like an exertion headache. Search the forum for "head pain" and you'll see you aren't alone. About a month ago I went through a two week span where my head hurt whenever I tried to push myself at the gym, which seemed to stem from a squatting session gone awry. I took a week off followed by a slow week back, and have been fine since. You might want to get it checked out by a doctor just so you can sleep a little easier at night. I went to one, had an MRI taken, and everything was a-ok.

You can read up about the headaches at the following link if you want:
    http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/...eb/mccrory.htm

Hope this helps.

Banned
    hey tbird good to see u in the forums now.

yes inhale going down and exhale going up, but dont let all the air out in one burst. slowly let it out. ya dont look down in the squats. i looked down the first times i squated and i sat right down haha. have fun and enjoy working out!

ITHURTZ/BlingMeter