The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

hip abductorcist

Vanessa's journal. Help with good meals and recipes would be great!

Hello, I am currently exercising twice a day. In the mornings I do machine lifting on every machine listed below for a minute straight (1 set). Really low weight, endless reps for the entire minute.

Press
    Incline Press
    Butterfly
    Reverse Butterfly (posterior deltoid)
    Lat Pulldown
    Pullover
    Row
    Shoulder Press
    Shoulder Raises
    Dips
    Calve Raises
    Leg Press
    Another Leg Press
    Hip Abductor both ways
    Leg Curls
    Leg Extensions

I try to do those everyday, 1 minute each.

Abs I do 3 sets for 1 minute each (55 reps each)
    Lower Back Machine I do twice a week, 1 minute. I've heard the lowerback takes longer to recover.

I then do 15 minutes of cardio elliptical.

After this workout I drink a fat burner smoothie, made at our health cafe.

Later that night I do another 45 minute of cardio (run or elliptical).

I take a CLA pill & a multivitamin in the morning and a Carnitine pill before each workout.

If you have suggestions on different routines, please feel free to suggest something. I really want suggestions on meals, because chicken breasts are getting so boring!

Sept: 15, 2004 Meals:

Breakfast: 3 egg (90 calories/30 each) whites, 2 slices wheat bread (180 calories/90 each), & yogurt (100 calories, fat free)
    Total Cal: 370

Lunch: Small fat burner shake.
    Total Cal: 120

Dinner: Chicken Breast chopped up (90 calories)
    Total Cal: 90

Snack: Yogurt (100), and slice of bread (90)
    Total Cal: 190

____
    Daily Cal: 770

Elliptical 15 minute workout: Calories lost: 175
    Elliptical 45 minute workout: Calories lost: 600

*estimate Machine workout: Calories lost: 250

*1650 (x 12)
    ____
    Total calories lost: 2675

Anyone know about how many calories are lost in a 20 exercise machine workout, 1 minute per machine? Also, can someone give me an estimate on how many calories you burn a day without exercising, so I can keep track of my intake more accurately?

*edited after lep's help.
    Last edited by vanessa; 09-15-2004 at 08:45 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

the irish assassin
    May i ask what the purpose of the nonstop reps for a minute is...that seems mostly like cardio to me.

Your daily calorie intake is extremely low, on average, when you ingest under 1200kcals a day, your metabolism slows to almost a standstill because your body believes it is being starved to death.

As for meal plans...the best thing i have found by far that keeps you interested and isn't difficult to follow is carb cycling by twin peaks. To access this article go to www.mindandmuscle.net, search for carb cycling part I by twin peaks, it's a very basic diet that produces results. He has a lot of food listings that you can choose from. If you need something that more resembles a cheat meal, lemme know, i have a few recipes for low carb brownies and cheesecake.
    Per Ferrum Ad Astra-Mel Siff

Don't wish for it, work for it.

All westcoast gangstas know, if you wanna keep your money, stick with "W"

the irish assassin
    Btw...to calculate how many calories your body needs to perform it's necessary functions w/o any form of exercise, multiply your bodyweight by 12.

hip abductorcist
    Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun
    Btw...to calculate how many calories your body needs to perform it's necessary functions w/o any form of exercise, multiply your bodyweight by 12.
    Thankyou!
    Last edited by vanessa; 09-15-2004 at 08:41 PM.

hip abductorcist
    Yes, the 1 minute straight is definitely for cardio purposes, but at the same time I wanted to get an entire body workout. I am not builking or trying to add muscle.

I didn't realize that about the calories, I just started these meals on monday, so now I will add more calories to my daily plan.

I'll eat another slice of bread and a yogurt now.

Thanks so much for your help!

the irish assassin
    A few more things to consider...women can't really bulk up per say. To gain a lot of muscle mass you need to not only train heavy, eat a lot of food, but you also need the hormones, specifically testosterone. For the most part a woman will never get "huge" because she lacks the body chemistry, mother nature never intended for a female to have 18 inch biceps. Also, if you were to build even 5lbs of muscle, you would substantially increase your body's ability to burn fat. I'm not telling you to try to lift as heavy as you can for 2-3 reps like many strength athletes do, but i think you might be better off if you were to use a plan a bit more structured. The wannabebig routines are a good place to start if you choose to go that route. Good luck with your goals.

I'm with leprechaun here. You really do need a more balance quality diet with higher calories.

And welcome to the journal section.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

hip abductorcist
    Thanks, I will switch routines in about 2 weeks, just to keep chaning it up. Great suggestions, I really didn't know any of this.

Welcome aboard.

What rookie and the little green guy said.

What is in the fat burning smoothie?

I'd drop the carnitine.
    Last edited by Shane; 09-15-2004 at 08:53 PM.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

hip abductorcist
    I will ask tomorrow. As I was typing I didn't know the calories of it, so I told myself I need to ask. I think it has something by "MuscleTech" in it??? I am not sure though.

Carnitine is no good?

What about CLA?

Yeah. A lot of supplements aren't any good so it's important to find out what's in them and do some research. So hopefully we can save you some $$$.

Carnitine isn't any good for 2 reasons. 1) It gets digested in the stomach and doesn't get to where it would need to go to do what they advertise. 2) Carnitine is not the weak link in the fat burning process. Your body uses carnitine to transport fatty acids into the cells so they can be used as fuel. So the logic is, well, if you have more carnitine then you can burn more fat. But in your body, if carnitine was the taxi cabs and fatty acids were the passengers, there would be more than enough taxi cabs to transport the passengers. I hope that makes sense. hehe. The only people carnitine may help fight fat is the rare few people who are deficient in it. But it's highly unlikely you are one of them. So no need to take it.

CLA there is a bit of evidence both ways. But right now the evidence suggests it's more towards the "nay" than "yay" side. Sorry. We're here to help and sometimes that means delivering the sad truth about some supplements.

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

the irish assassin
    Muscletech makes a lot of stuff...their chief product is Cell Tech, which is overpriced creatine with koolaid in it.

Carnitine isn't really all that bad from my experience with it, but it generally works better in conjunction with other supplements...i recommend going to www.1fast400.com and read some of their articles on stuff like carnitine.

CLA is pretty good stuff, but the dosage required to illicit a decent effect on fat metabolism *which is what i'm guessing you are aiming for* it has to be in a pretty high dosage.

Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun
    CLA is pretty good stuff, but the dosage required to illicit a decent effect on fat metabolism *which is what i'm guessing you are aiming for* it has to be in a pretty high dosage.
    Oops. I should have mentioned that. lol.

My Journal

the irish assassin
    Shane-o...are you saying that acetyl l-carnitine doesn't have usefulness...or is there a difference between l-carnitine and acetyl l-carnitine, my nutritional biochem is a bit rusty.

Leprechaun, I'm talking about l-carnitine. If I remember right, acetyl l-carnitine is a more bioavailable source. But I could be wrong on that. I haven't looked much at acetyl l-carnitine. Just l-carnitine.

My Journal

Vanessa, apologies if you've posted this elsewhere, but it would be useful if you could post some more information about yourself - specifically things like your height and weight, and your goals (evidently fat loss is your primary goal right now, but it would be useful to get an idea of how much you are looking to lose, and how fast).

As has been mentioned already you're eating very little, and your meals are also unbalanced - you seem to be eating no fat, which your body absolutely needs. It is not only unhealthy to avoid fat, it also helps abotage your goal of losing weight.

I'd urge you to eat a little more, and to balance your food intake by adding some healthful fats, and by eating some fresh produce (fruit and veg). Healthful fats can be obtained from olive oil, fish oil (either as a supplement or by eating oily fish), nuts and seeds, flax oil, hemp oil etc. You should aim for a minimum of a tablespoon of oil, or 25g of nuts and seeds, per day. The fruit and vegetables will of course provide vitamins and minerals, and a few extra calories, but they'll also give you some more fibre and help keep you feeling fuller (thus helping you stick with the diet).

As for meal suggestions, it really depends on what you like to eat. Pretty much any lean meat is fair game as a replacement for chicken, as is fish. Buy yourself a few herbs and spices, and always have some lemons, olive oil and some garlic handy, and you can get a lot of variety; use different mixtures of herbs and spices to rub over the meat, then simply grill it. It takes no time at all and is far more interesting than plain meat. Even just a little lemon juice, olive oil and thyme, mixed together and rubbed over chicken before it's grilled, tastes wonderful.

In line with adding fruit and veg, you can easily make raw salads and vegetable dishes to accompany your meat - again, simplicity can be the best bet. A few salad leaves (avoid iceberg lettuce, go for flavourful leaves such as romaine lettuce, rocket, watercress, spinach etc.), maybe some tomatoes or pepper or carrot or cucumber or celery or whatever. Drizzle with a little olive oil and maybe some vinegar (balsamic if you have it); again this takes mere seconds to prepare but tastes wonderful, is very healthy and fairly filling.

I hope that's helpful; if you need more specific ideas for food, please ask, but in general I'd suggest simply adding in more foods that you enjoy; as long as they're healthy, they're fair game.

Good luck with whatever goals you have!

Vanessa,

I believe a more traditional weight lifting session in the morning would be more beneficial than your current approach. As has been correctly pointed out, there is little danger of you becoming overly muscular. While a lifting session itself will not burn that many calories, it can have a profound affect on your metabolism for a significant period afterwards - the end result of which is a significantly greater number of calories burnt than a cardio session of equivalent length.

Good luck with things.

Just so you know there are some other ladies that post here like Chops, Tryska, dissipate, twcolabear and mizzundastood. None of them want to have huge muscles either so if you take a look at their journals it may be helpful.

My Journal

Hi Vanessa,

Wanted to give you a warm, estrogen welcome to journal land!

The guys have done such a great job that there is little for me to say I will suggest that you check out the Diet and Nutrition subforum Recipes on this site (if you have not already).

Also, you can check out: www.stumptuous.com/weights.html It has some great information on women working out, food and just plain female stuff. In the eating section, there is information on eating for fat loss (which I think you will find interesting), fat that we do need and losing the bad fat.

Wishing you great success!

hip abductorcist
    Quote Originally Posted by m!ssundaztood
    Hi Vanessa,

Wanted to give you a warm, estrogen welcome to journal land!

The guys have done such a great job that there is little for me to say I will suggest that you check out the Diet and Nutrition subforum Recipes on this site (if you have not already).

Also, you can check out: www.stumptuous.com/weights.html It has some great information on women working out, food and just plain female stuff. In the eating section, there is information on eating for fat loss (which I think you will find interesting), fat that we do need and losing the bad fat.

Wishing you great success!
    Thanks so much, I will definitely check out that site. I was messing around in the nutrition section last night.

hip abductorcist
    Aspect, my goal is to get my high school figure back and maintain very low bodyfat%. In high school I was a very healthy and fit 120lbs. My current stats are higher, but I am in the military and have to do PT 3 times a week no matter what, so I am still in shape (running wise, I am probably in the shape of my life), just with more weight. I do not feel like sharing my current stats though, maybe when I get closer to my goal I will. Anyway, I actually came to this site because someone suggested it to me, "bodybuilders are the best dieters with the lowest bodyfat". Your suggestions were great, I will definitely add fruity to my diet, and I've been taking a Fish Oil supplement pill every morning for the last few weeks. Thanks a lot!

TheGimp, more tradional as in, do 2 bodyparts per day? I am not strong, so at 35 pounds I can lift something for a minute and get a good burn, but at 45 pounds I can barely move it. I am doing the minute routine because I feel it will tighten me up, but at the same time give me a different type of cardio workout. I don't understand what more traditional is.

Shane, I was checking out other journals last night, especially looking for other females. I noticed a few of them have 6-7 meals a day, and take a lot of protein shakes as part of their meals. I don't understand that. Is it important for me to take protein if I am not trying to build muscle?
    Last edited by vanessa; 09-16-2004 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vanessa
    Shane, I was checking out other journals last night, especially looking for other females. I noticed a few of them have 6-7 meals a day, and take a lot of protein shakes as part of their meals. I don't understand that. Is it important for me to take protein if I am not trying to build muscle?
    All the females I can think of that have a journal are: chops, missundastood, Tryska, dissipate, twcolabear, and punky. I know there are a few more but can't think of them. I think eating 4+ small meals throughout the day instead of 3 larger ones is a good idea. Its not 100% necessary, but a good idea. The protein shakes aren't necessary but they are a convenient and effective way to get protein and nutrients. Like Aspect said, 80g of protein will probably be enough for you since you're not trying to put on muscle. A little more wouldn't hurt though. And don't forget about the essential fats.

Did you ever find out what they put in the fat burning smoothie?

My Journal

Vanessa, fair enough on not wanting to share your stats! What you've told us is great though - I basically just wanted to get an idea of how fit (or not) you were, how active, and what your aims were etc. You've told us all that, so that's fine.

To butt in and answer your question to Shane regarding protein intake; it's important to eat some protein, but probably not so much that you need worry about protein shakes etc. You probably need in the region of 60-80 grams per day of protein; that's not really a great deal. If you're currently eating less you could add a little more (whether that's from meat or fish, or from nuts, seeds, milk or whatever). However, if you increase your overall calorie intake a little, you will probably find you naturally eat a little more protein too.

Try marinating the chicken breasts with garlic and lemon, and then grilling or broiling them.

Can probably get more ideas by clicking on the bottom-most link in my signature; it'll take you to eGullet.org, a web site that qualifies as my second home. (Same web site as before to experienced WBBers, we recently became a non-profit charitable organization.)

Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

hip abductorcist
    Shane, the fat burner had frozen bananas, ice, and a chocolate meal supplement package (270 calories/1g fat). That was her answer. This is basically a meal in the form of a smoothie.

Soba, thanks, I will check the site out!

Sept: 16 Meals & Workouts:

Drinking water all day.

m1: 3 egg (90 calories/30 each) whites, 2 slices wheat bread (180 calories/90 each), sliced chicken (50 calories) & yogurt (100 calories, fat free)
    Total Cal: 420

Morning workout (lifting 45 minutes, cardio 15)

m2: Small fat burner shake (270).
    Total Cal: 270

Evening workout: 45 minutes of cardio

m3: Sliced chicken chopped up (200 calories)
    Total Cal: 200 (I got full!!)

____
    Daily Cal: 890

I will add snack to my meal plan as soon as I get the chance to get some fresh fruits. I am thinking of adding some fruit with a yogurt 3 hours after the fat burner smoothie.
    Last edited by vanessa; 09-16-2004 at 11:17 PM.