Thread: Left Shoulder Strength Gone!

Left Shoulder Strength Gone!

Since August 24 I have only worked out 3 times. This is because I am between living situations and I don't have a membership at a gym until I move next Monday. Fine. Well I went to the Y today and bought a day-pass. It's been 8 days since my last workout (a "free" tester one at a gym, intended to entice me into purchasing a membership which I won't... what can I say, a man's gotta do what he's gotta do).

On August 24 I did 85-lb. dumbbells x4 at my old gym. I have had lots of rest since then, having done only 2 workouts in the interim (both involving heavy chest). So in theory I should be ready to go hard today... right? So I decided to give the 85-lb. DBs a go.

Well... I couldn't push them up. More specifically, I couldn't push my left arm up. My right arm was able to push through but my left arm couldn't. This was a very odd feeling, especially since I'm left-handed and that should theoretically be a bit stronger. Also, I've been doing DBs for a long time and I really am very balanced between my two halves.

I set them down, then try the 85s again. Nope. No go. I disgustedly trade them up for 80s and give it another whirl. I've been doing 80s easily for a long time now. Left side fails again. I finally grab the 75s and do a measly two reps.

I proceed to some seated DB shoulder press. I've been doing 60s regularly for the past 1.5 months or so... In fact last Tuesday I did 60sx5. AGAIN, left side won't budge. Down to 55s for 2 reps and a lot of bafflement for me.

Any insight into this problem? The obvious course of action would be to ignore it and hope everything's back to normal by my next workout. But in the meantime I'm hoping I can get some input on what's going on. Sorry for the long post.

bump...

come on, help a brother out guys!

Do you have any pain in your shoulder. I messed up my rotator cuff a while back in my left shoulder and it sounds real similar. I never realy felt anything happen. I just went into the gym and couldn't throw that weight in that shoulder. It actually still bothers me. Moreso in the bench. doesn't matter the weight either. It can be 135 or 335 it still not pain free. I ice it as much as possible when I remeber. The more I ice it the better it is.

lol..well my suggestion could be did you warmup your left arm properly?

there probably isnt any immidiate way to bump your arm back to where it was at.
    My only suggestion to you is to stop training your right arm excessively.. only do as much as your left can, and progressivley work them together, until they are equal. Remember dont stop working on ur right, otherwise youll start loosing muscle mass on that arm too :O.

good luck man.
    think youve got an edge on me? think again.

Shad