The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Masterbation/sex's affect on testosterone

I've been trying to research this but I'm having a hard time finding specific information on this.

I can't tell if less sex/masterbation lowers or raises testosterone levels -- when you go for a while without it, you feel a build up of aggression and of course arousal, is this a result of raised hormone levels? of course it could be the complete opposite -- without regular sexual exercises testosterone may drop.

Anybody know the answer to these? also in terms of hormone levels is sex any different from masterbation?
    Last edited by DeusFacticius; 09-17-2004 at 07:45 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

ejaculating LESSESN testosterone, but not enough for it to make a real difference, and u will be back at a normal test. level in an hour. just dont ejaculate right before a training session, and dont ejaculate rite before bed, specially on a recovery day, cus then u have less test. to aid overnite repair.

Wannabebig Member
    Masturbation releases testosterone. But then again so does working out and every other activity.

You must not have tried very hard. There are hundreds of threads on this topic.

Ejaculation, whether it is during sex or masturbation, will increase testosterone. However this increase is a drop in the ocean compared to the increase you get by lifting weights.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    You'll get alot of answers from guys that THINK they know what they're talking about. And they'll all tell you that masturbating/having sex lowers your testosterone.

They're wrong.

It raises it. But not by enough to make a difference in muscle gains or strength.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    You'll get alot of answers from guys that THINK they know what they're talking about. And they'll all tell you that masturbating/having sex lowers your testosterone.

They're wrong.

It raises it. But not by enough to make a difference in muscle gains or strength.
    This sums it up. I'm surprised you didn't just lock it.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Wannabebig New Member
    I've done extensive research on this by having hand to gland combat everyday and I cant tell a difference .

I guess I'll continue my research ... be back in a minute .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Quote Originally Posted by BCC
    This sums it up. I'm surprised you didn't just lock it.
    I agree, why do you always lock these threads? It seems a lot of people are interested in this topic.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Because the answer is simple.

And it ALWAYS, I repeat: ALWAYS degenerates into comments like the "hand to gland" combat..

Which, BTW, was extremely funny. So, I'll leave it open until it goes south. Which is probably about two posts from now.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

I agree.. ejactulating will not decrease testosterone at all and actually raise it a bit.. but not enough to make a big diffrence. exactly
    Never Giving In.

Frank Zane-ification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    Because the answer is simple.

And it ALWAYS, I repeat: ALWAYS degenerates into comments like the "hand to gland" combat..

Which, BTW, was extremely funny. So, I'll leave it open until it goes south. Which is probably about two posts from now.
    *cough, cough*
    "Hey skinny, I can see your ribs!" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

3:16
    well if it did lower testosterone levels would you not have sex or masterbate?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

thats like asking if the sun will shine or not
    [UNITY]

I have to say one thing, I beat it before a football game a couple years ago, and I have to say I felt like **** that whole game. Not aggressive, felt lazy, just kind of felt like going home and taking a nap. Whether that was a result of a flux in testosterone in my system I don't know, but it does have some effect that causes you to feel really relaxed, and chilled out.

Another time, I didn't do the deed for 1 week before a football game once, and felt amazingly full of energy, and just ready to knock someone out.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by SalahG
    I have to say one thing, I beat it before a football game a couple years ago, and I have to say I felt like **** that whole game. Not aggressive, felt lazy, just kind of felt like going home and taking a nap. Whether that was a result of a flux in testosterone in my system I don't know, but it does have some effect that causes you to feel really relaxed, and chilled out.

Another time, I didn't do the deed for 1 week before a football game once, and felt amazingly full of energy, and just ready to knock someone out.

Just a thought.
    when you ejectulate do you always feel this trianed?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Because of the complex interaction between several feedback loops, there is no simple answer. (I read a study on this in college, I hope I remember it right)

After sex/masturbation, there can be a cycle of both lowered and raised testosterone output compared to baseline without sex.
    One factor to consider is the effect of ejaculation on the body's call for renewed sperm production. This results in a raise in testosterone.
    However, in a period of hours, the testosterone output can actually drop to baseline or even slightly below.

I don't remember the study claiming to have studied this, but the theory is that if one ejaculates every four hours or less, the overall testosterone output will be raised above average for the entire day.
    yikes....

There are many other factors in sexual behavior that affect testosterone.

If someone goes several days without ejaculation, overall testosterone levels generally increase, with some emphasis during specific times in the day. The theory I seem to remember for this was the anthropological perspective that a male primate that goes many days without sex needs the test boost to encourage more agressive mating behavior.
    If the male does not ejaculate after a built up number of days, the testosterone levels could very likely trigger nocturnal emission (wet dream). This is a normal result of the body needing to cycle sperm through the system in order to function properly. It is the cumulative effect of raised testosterone during REM sleep.

But, don't go thinking that abstinence will raise testosterone either. Overall long term pattern of this behavior may actually lower the baseline production.

Basically, testosterone levels can be tied to sexual behavior. It is a "use it or loose it" proposition on one side as well as a self-regulating feedback system that is always trying to maintain baseline. Because of this, it is very very difficult to manipulate testosterone production through behavior.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

Wannabebig New Member
    What salahG said about being tired hits home with me , tell me if this sounds stupid as to why .

When I was 18 I started bouncing in bars and after we would close we would take chicks home or party some where before we had wild monkey sex . So after about 10 years of staying up late and partying having sex THEN going to bed I think my body got used to going to bed right after sex . Even if I would wake up in the middle of the night to get my freak on I would immediately go back to sleep . Now after being out of the bar biz for a while I'm back to having sex in the morning , or in the middle of the day without being all tired .

Maybe our bodies get used to a routine like that and it takes a while to get out of it . Or maybe my idea holds no water , who knows .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

I feel no different (other than Im not rearin to hav sex anymore, but no energy difference). I do it all the time, with or without chicks, and feel normal. Then again, I havent gone a long period of abstaining from it, so I dont know the difference.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

i find that if i leave it alone for a period of time (weeks, months)

i tend to become more angry, short and to the point? shortens my fuse so to speak.. anyone got any insight?

so it increases test, learn something everyday

Banned
    This was exactly the kind of information I was looking for, thanks.

Of course its all but impossible for a guy completely stop masterbating/having sex, but it is possible to try to take small breaks or at least decrease the frequency.

True the test. fluxuations may not be enough to affect muscle devlopment, the natural aggression that comes with these fluxuations can be a big help when in the gym, using that 'wanna kill something' feeling to pump out those last few reps. Of course like said before, long term patterns like this can be deletorious to the effect, so maybe its something that can be planned out ahead of time for big events like maxing out or try outs or something. Maybe this is something that should be changed up periodically to keep your body in an adapting state? just the same was you cycle up weights, sets, reps, excercises, etc.?

One minor question though, does it make any difference to your body whether its sex or if its masterbation?
    Last edited by DeusFacticius; 09-19-2004 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeusFacticius

One minor question though, does it make any difference to your body whether its sex or if its masterbation?
    id assume running your ass around the block a few times then wacking off would be the same, right?

if you feel more awake or more tired afterwards. this will have to do with other besides test.
    there are other hormones in your body.
    can't remeber the homrones name in question, but when men ejeculate they are more likely to become tired, while women want to hug, probably goes back to our ancestor when men hunted then mated. while the women probably wanted to keep there man nearer them to look after there (hopefully new born baby).
    without researching ancient people sex patterns i am just guessing here.

Quote Originally Posted by OverDose
    i find that if i leave it alone for a period of time (weeks, months)

i tend to become more angry, short and to the point? shortens my fuse so to speak.. anyone got any insight?

so it increases test, learn something everyday
    You can "leave it alone" for MONTHS????
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Quote Originally Posted by Y2A
    You can "leave it alone" for MONTHS????
    when im so inclined, got this crazy self control thing

Quote Originally Posted by TripleP
    I agree, why do you always lock these threads? It seems a lot of people are interested in this topic.
    Actually I figured it would be the best idea to lock it. Because it's been done a million times and there's one answer.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.