The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Ok, i nead to know what you guys think about my new routine i just put togheter.

Day-1
    Chest+shoulders
    -Bench (bb or Db)for three weeks, then 1 week- shoulers press (bb or db)- shoulders are a strong point
    -Incline bench (bb or db)
    -flys or crossovers
    -side laterals

Biceps
    BB or Db curls
    Sometimes ( say every three weeks) preachers (db or bb)
    Incline DB curls

Day2-rest

Day-3-rest

Day-4
    BAck
    Chins
    Bent over rows, every four weeks-seated rows
    One arm rows
    Dead lifts

Triceps
    Lying ext
    Dips standing or chair dips or push downs
    Over head one arm ext

Day 5-rest
    Day6-rest

Day 7

Legs
    Squats(6-8 sets)
    Sldl Or db hams curls
    Calves ( one exercise )

Day 8- rest

Day-9 repeat cycle
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The routine looks alright, one question though, are you doing db and bb for chest or are you alternating them. I would also alternate the flys and crossovers. The back exercises look very good. I am a little concerned with the leg exercises though. For one thing 6-8 sets of squats looks a little excessive, especially if these are work sets. Definitely do the sldl's. Personally I don't even do calves by themself. I usually just do squats and hacks for calves, those two seem to hit my calves very well.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Thanks for your reply, yeah its alternating between db and bb, never the two.
    Eat Tuna!
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Are you doing one set for each exercise? If not can you put the amount of sets in
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

always 3 sets, except the squats
    Last edited by Frankster; 02-18-2001 at 05:06 PM.
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

For chest i would either drop flat or incline bench, or i would lower sets. I would also stick to flys or machine flys because on cable crosses i find you cant overload the pecs good.
    Biceps maybe 2 sets or one on incline db.
    On back do either bb rows or db rows. theres no need to do both since they have pretty much the same motion.
    Triceps, Id do close grip bench instead of one arm extensions.
    And legs i would definatly drop some sets on squats. If you want your legs better just do a set or 2 of leg press and 3 sets of squats.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Thanks! but why the leg press? i personally would rather do 5 sets of squats than 2 sets of leg press
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

I do deads first thing in my back routine cause i wouldn't be able to go as heavy if i was already tired from chins, one arm rows and pulley rows. and remember:

Heavy weight (with good form) = max. muscle growth

And i don't understand why you would swap benches for shoulders press ever 3 weeks, even if your shoulders are strong points....suppose huge shoulders might make your bis and tris look small eh?...

I would get rid of the flye or cable exercise and put in some dips where you lean forward for more chest emphasis. Remember:

dips and chins = upper body squat!

Why only 1 exercise for calves?

I do seated and standing and in total this adds up to about 4-5 sets depending on how i'm feeling.

How many sets you do for biceps?

I personally do a couple os sets standing (straight bar) curls followed by a couple of sets seated alt. DB curls. Working nicely

Every few weeks i do direct forearm work too. At present i'm doing them every week after bi's cause i want a better grip to help increase my deads. You may want to consider this.

That is all...
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Frankster

the reason i said leg press is becuase after a few sets of squats you abs and lower back would be weak so you could do leg press where you would take out the weak links.

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
    And i don't understand why you would swap benches for shoulders press ever 3 weeks, even if your shoulders are strong points....suppose huge shoulders might make your bis and tris look small eh?...
    No, because, i dont want to train a muscle that doesnt need to be train as much, i want my recuperative powers to go for the muscles that needs it
    [i]
    I would get rid of the flye or cable exercise and put in some dips where you lean forward for more chest emphasis. Remember:

dips and chins = upper body squat! [/B]
    But i do flys for the stretch at the end, dont you find its better that dips for that?

[i] Why only 1 exercise for calves? [/B]
    i feel thats all they need, the next day i can barely walk, i hit them hard with three sets

[i] How many sets you do for biceps? [/B]
    about 6 to 8 total

[i] Every few weeks i do direct forearm work too. At present i'm doing them every week after bi's cause i want a better grip to help increase my deads. You may want to consider this. [/B]
    Thanks i will- i havent done deads before, so im probably gonna need it , anyways my forearms need work so..

[i] Heavy weight (with good form) = max. muscle growth [/B]
    yes but why is it better to save energy to lift more on the deads that the lets say chins for example?
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

thanks getting bigger.. good reason
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

6-8 sets for biceps is too much.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Ok, but why? and how bout aswering my other questions, in the words of Chris Mason-explain why
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

okily dokily:

"But i do flys for the stretch at the end, dont you find its better that dips for that? "

** if you haven't ever done dips then you will not believe the strecth you will get from them. Excellent chest building...my favourite infact.

If your calf routine is doing the job and you are actually seeing growth, then thats all fine and dandy. But if you are getting pain and no grwoth then swap it around.

Biceps are a small muscle and 6-8 sets are too much. Try just 4 in total. I'd bet you'd be suprised with the difference after a few weeks.

I can't rememeber right now why you should do deads first (it's rather late over here). Paul Stagg originally got the concept onto me, he'll clear it all up i'm sure.

That good enough then?

Ok, i guess, ill give permission to go to sleep now chicken, the rooster must be getting worried
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Fool! I am the rooster.

Ok the chicken then
    Last edited by Frankster; 02-18-2001 at 06:34 PM.
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -