The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    hmm, I like to be big!!!

Sub-Maximal days necessary for plifting routine?

My routine is, 1 week, Bench for 4 sets, and 3 sets of military presses. then, two days later, 5 sets of squats and 3 sets of Calf raises. the next week is dead lift week, 4 sets of dls, and 2 sets of chins, I alternate like that, done to failure. Should i put in submaximal days? like some plifters do? some of my gains are kinda stagnant, and they aren't even too high, so any ideas apprectiated/welcome. If you don't know what one is, its pretty self explanatory to give you some help.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    It has been helping me so far. If you are feeling stagnant like you said, you may want to try it. There is really only 2 exercises that I take to failure all week and even those exercises change every 1-3 weeks.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    thats another thing, my bench is doing great, but my deadlifts suck, so did my squats, but then i strapped on a weightlifitng belt and did squats good, so i dunno whats going on. Plus, I dont care what you people think, this is competition for me, and i want to do better than those in my school, especially since im the most dedicated to lifting. I need to be the best, without roids.

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Nejar, i use the same routien as latty (only 2 exercises a week to failor) and the gains in strength that im making now are far better then when i was only training to failor.
    If the weight belt lets you use alot more weight on teh exercise then you should work on strengthing your abs,obliques and lower back.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    brother, trust me, that sharp pain in my back when i squatted was not an inability of my abs to support me.

Bigger fewl
    Don't be ignorant. You obviously don't know as much as you think you do to be making such a ridiculous comment to my bud gb, the big PLer around these parts. Apparently you are unaware of the ab, obliques, and all core muscles very important role in squatting. But the injury could be a number of things, regardless of wether its cause by weak abs or not. Sorry to flame, just had to.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow!

Carpe diem

Milk.... it does the body good.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    hmm, I don't where i claimed to know a lot, and i don't really see, how you can say that I'm ignorant, when, I actually know the feeling I had, while you, for some odd reason, are attacking me, for making a comment, not a flame or a harsh criticism mind you, i made, on "your best internet buddy in the whole wide world" when I wasn't even flaming him.

Jeez, you know, i must have missed when I said that core muscles aren't important, but apparently, im so ignorant i don't even know what im feeling, so how the hell should i know
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 11-02-2001 at 03:11 PM.

Age limit strictly enforced.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    LMAO@Belial

Nejar- then what was the problem with your back? An injury? A low back weakness?

Gb said to strengthen your abs and low back to help with the problem, he didn't say to stop using a bely for powerlifting.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Well for those of you who remember the first time i came here, i had back problems ( yeah i know, pretty sad for a teenager) they subsided for a year, and then the pain came back, I used a belt and felt much better. I thought squats were the only ab workout you realy needed with deadlifts. I've read it a here a few times actually. Well i any case, lets stay off that topic, cause i already made a thread about it, you can put those comments there if you would please, Right now, im asking, if submaximal sets would help.

The answer to your question is no. I am sure with additional information as to your age, height, weight, rough bodyfat, and more detail about the sets you listed (are the 5 sets all done to failure, or are the first few warmups?), I could be of some assistance.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Well, I'm 15, 170lbs??( sorry non-Americans, I don't know the kilo conversion.)Thats a guess, 5'5 about, and i have a BF of roughly 12%. Thats a another guess. For most of my sets, the first one, tends to be a warm up, because im not confident in jumping from my 140 lb warm up, to 295 lb squat. But the rest are failures. I'm turning 16 in a month BTW.
    Last edited by nejar462; 11-03-2001 at 07:20 AM.