The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Knees hurt...

Hybrid View

Beaver ******

Knees hurt...

Last week, I went for my first jog. Really liked it...my right knew hurt a little though, but not too bad. I did the bike at the gym for a couple days to give my knee a rest. Then I was fine...I went for a jog, this time about twice as long, and now both knees hurt.

Should I just stick to the bicycle until I get my weight down. DAMN...I was really enjoying the running, but I don't know if it's just cause I am starting out, if it's bad form, or if it's cause I am too heavy.

Any comments!?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Should I just stick to the bicycle until I get my weight down. DAMN...I was really enjoying the running, but I don't know if it's just cause I am starting out, if it's bad form, or if it's cause I am too heavy.
    Mostly because you are just starting out. Running is a high impact sport, so your extra weight does factor in as well. Your knees need time to adjust to the stress you are putting them under. Build up your distance gradually. Never run until your knees have recovered from your last running session. You might also have weak quadricep muscles which won't absorb as much of the shock of running transfering more impact to your knees. Developing leg strength through weight lifting can help a lot in improving your running and strengthening your knees. Lastly, make sure you are wearing a shoe designed for running. Orthotics can also help.

melt
    Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.

There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics. ~Benjamin Disraeli

Beaver ******
    Quote Originally Posted by meltedtime
    Mostly because you are just starting out. Running is a high impact sport, so your extra weight does factor in as well. Your knees need time to adjust to the stress you are putting them under. Build up your distance gradually. Never run until your knees have recovered from your last running session. You might also have weak quadricep muscles which won't absorb as much of the shock of running transfering more impact to your knees. Developing leg strength through weight lifting can help a lot in improving your running and strengthening your knees. Lastly, make sure you are wearing a shoe designed for running. Orthotics can also help.

melt
    Well, I am not sure, but as for leg strength I mentioned in another forum that my upper body (Now...anyway) is ****, can't lift anything. BUT...when it comes to leg presses, I lift the whole stack of weights. Someone said it may be genetics, other opinions were that I was used to carrying around the weight.

If it is the quadricep, how do I work it out!!

Thanks for the other advice too, I will try them at work.

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    You czn also do exercises to strengthen the tendons around the knee.

stand with your back to a wall.....go down into a parrellel squat position keeping your back against the wall....stay in the seated position for 7-10 seconds each. Sounds weird but it works

you can also walk up stairs backwards.

another thing is to hold onto a doorway and bend then knees while leaning over backwards until you feel tension in the knee. Hold for 3-7 seconds and repeat a few times....
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice