The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Leg routine help...

I am worried that I am not doing enough quad work. I don't like any of the leg extension machines(there are 5) at my gym. Should I worry about this, or just worry about continuing to hammer my legs and improve on my squats. Here is today's workout. Thoughts?

Legs:

Squats: 135*6 135*6, 185*2, 225*4, 275*1, 295*2, 315*2, 27*4
    ->I thought I was gonna get a 3rd rep @ 315, but just couldn't get outta the hole. These are starting to get back to normal weights. Everything thing beneath 275 were warmups.

Donkey Raise:stack(400)*8, stack+90*8, stack+180*6, stack+200*6
    ->bumped up the weight 20lbs today. The reps weren't hard, but standing up straight to start the set was difficult.

Leg press:5pps*4, 6pps*4, 6+25*3
    ->man my legs were wiped.

Seated leg Curls:210*8, 225*8, 240*6

Smith Good Mornings:45*8, 95*8, 115*6
    ->did these on the smith that move's both on the x and y axis, these felt great.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Under Construction
    How are you doing GMs on a Smith?
    Just one guy's opinion.

Well, I think you are covering the bases but I think it's not a good order. Doing Donkey calf before leg press can have an detrimental effect, meaning your calves might tire out before your quads do. Also, doing leg curls before GM's will also do the same thing (tire out your hams). Here's the order I would suggest:

Squats
    Leg Press
    GM's
    Seated Leg Curls
    Donkey Calf
    Last edited by Max-Mex; 09-21-2004 at 12:56 PM.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Smith Good Mornings? You must be flexible to do that on a Smith machine, anyway...IMO, perhaps try doing a few more reps, considering you are working your legs, which can take a pounding and tire out a lot slower than upper body. For sh*ts and grins, try one set of 135 lbs of 15-20 reps for a warm-up. Maybe move down to 10-12 with a little more weight and work your way to your 2-4 rep set, since it looks like you like these heavy sets. If you really want to work the quads hardcore I'd superset the squats with some lunges (works quads and glutes) and ditch the leg press (just my opinion, no worries).

I used to do a lot of low rep sets on my legwork like you and found that my legs got strong, however didn't grow. I began doing more reps with slightly lighter weight and my legs have been growing like crazy. When I really want to blast my quads on the squat I'll actually hold myself in a squat (thighs parallel to floor, not all the way down and not a half-squat) for 1 second before I push back up. Try that with 15 reps, it'll get ya'.

MPI: If you lok at my notes, the smith moves on both an X and Y axis, so I can do gm's on it.

Max-mex: the reason I do donkey raises early on it because of the weight I handle. The stack is 400+200lbs of plates= a lot weight. So I wouldn't be able to stand up after leg presses, let alone handle that much weight on my back. I normally don't do Gm's and just added them at the end of my workout today. In the future I would switch up the order with the seated leg curls.

Kirian: I only like to do walking BB lunges, but there is not enough room in my new gym for that, that is why I do the leg presses.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase