The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Why I don't alternate on curls

We all see guys alternating their curls in magazines, websites, you name it... I just hate it though.

Why? It seems as though in the few seconds that I am curling arm 1, arm 2 is getting a few seconds to rest. I don't feel much burn in alternating, which is I guess a result of this short rest.

Am I the only guy who lifts both arms simultaneously on DB curls?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

it's good to switch it up. if you're not getting the burn either do more reps or more weight.

I prefer 2 handed on the incline curl.
    Stats at 1st March - 7th June

Weight: 171 - 163
    Bodyfat: 15.5% - 10%

Quote Originally Posted by Mission
    Am I the only guy who lifts both arms simultaneously on DB curls?
    I do 2 hand simultaneous DB curls also

sometimes i mix it up and two DB simult. curls but not that often. you can concentrate more when doing one arm at a time, so i've seen really good gains from doing alternating DB curls. and when something is working, why knock it?

Whenever I used to do dumbbell curls I only did them simultaneously. To me, it was a lot harder to do. It actually was just like a barbell curl only both arms were getting equal work done (i.e. right arm wasn't trying harder). Now that both arms are the same size and strength, I do barbell curls.

I believe the reasoning for alternating the DB curls is to change up the flow. By alternating, you can for sure do more weight per arm, and you can give each arm full focus and concentration. Because of the little 1-2 second break, the muscle will be able to pump out a few more reps, or put out a little more power.

you don't have to pause when doing alternating dumbbell curls...while you bring one down bring the other one up

Wannabebig Member
    Why not do 3 sets of barbell curls and then three sets of alternating dumbbell curls ?
    thats what i do

If I didn't pause, how would I get my 1 second hold at the top of my lift? How would I really focus on the eccentric contraction per arm if i was too busy always focusing on the concentric of one arm while the other was releasing?

3:16
    i am not a fan of alternating curls for that reason. i prefer to have both arms moving at once so i prefer barbell curls.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

I like to start off with BB curls, then move to seated alternating DB curls. I do this with my palms in (like a hammer), then rotate to palms facing me (pronataion?). Seems to work great so far....I'm sure I'll hit a brick wall soon though

I prefer DB curls to BB, because with DBs you get a more free range of motion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mission
    I don't feel much burn in alternating, which is I guess a result of this short rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestlemaniac
    it's good to switch it up. if you're not getting the burn either do more reps or more weight.
    The "burn" has absolutely nothing to do with hypertrophy.

DB curls I do simutaneously for trouble shooting reasons and to observe form at least twice a month. Its useful to see if maybe one arm is lacking at a certain part of the rep or anything like that. You will likely only notice these differences under the heavier weights however.

Also, I notice some people who practice MA and/or boxing have this issue, as they may have a blocking/punching arm (no jokes please. )with which they have more coordination. -Just an observation.
    Last edited by AllUp; 09-24-2004 at 03:03 PM.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

when you db curl at once you burn out your energy resource twice as fast hence you lose reps. the best way to do it in my opinion is one db at a time. it was tested to have the best eam. i read about it on muscular dev. you could probably do a search for it online though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    The "burn" has absolutely nothing to do with hypertrophy.
    He asked about burn I told him how to get it

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    I prefer alternating db. This is because when I used to do them at the same time, it would make me move my back more. And when I alternate curls, I stabilize my back more and therefore my biceps are more concentrated on.