The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Interviewing two personal trainers

I'm about to get my nesta personal training certificate and in order to complete my program I need to interview two personal trainers. Since I know many of you on wwb are personal trainers I thought this would be a great place to ask for some help. If you guys would be so kind can you please answer me a few questions?

Name:

Years in the industry:

Certifying organization:

Environment in which you work (gym, home, corporate....):

Are you the business owner, partner, independent contractor or employee?:

1) What advice would you give to a person who is now establishing a personal training business?

2) What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?

3) What is the least favorite aspect of your job?

4) What would you change about your job if you could? Why?

5) What types of clients do you prefer to work with? Why?

6) How do you reduce liability?

7) What is your client evaluation process?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker
    I'm about to get my nesta personal training certificate and in order to complete my program I need to interview two personal trainers. Since I know many of you on wwb are personal trainers I thought this would be a great place to ask for some help. If you guys would be so kind can you please answer me a few questions?

Name:Sylvia Mavros

Years in the industry:2yrs

Certifying organization:CANFITPRO CANADA

Environment in which you work (gym, home, corporate....):PRIVATELY (HOME)

Are you the business owner, partner, independent contractor or employee?:INDEPENDENT

1) What advice would you give to a person who is now establishing a personal training business?marketing, promotion,sales
    Some business materials like brochures,business cards,flyers these are basic promotional materials that will help you spread the word about your business circulate your promotional material: direct mailing,complimentary sessions,paid advertising, medical alliances
    EQUIPMENT: depending on your career choice made,some trainers will need to purchase a significant amout of equiment and others will need minimal amount.The important things to consider are usage and cost.Some common pieces of equipment that most trainers purchase are:heart rate monitor,tubing,stabliity ball, free weights
    INSURANCE:You should not risk providing personnal training without having your own insurance policy
    PERSONNAL TRAINING AGREEMENT: term of agreemnt, fees to be charged,cancellation policy,late policy,refund policy

2) What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?when my clients progress, achieve their goals and succeed

3) What is the least favorite aspect of your job?waking up at the crack of dawn to get to my 5:30 am client

4) What would you change about your job if you could? Why?wouldn't change a thing love it!

5) What types of clients do you prefer to work with? Why?both genders

6) How do you reduce liability?it somes down to being a teacher, coach,adviser,supporter clients with feel successful with personnal trainers is because the personnal trainer keeps the client motivated the motivation of your client has to be internal listen to what they have to say, provide them with praise,recognize new accomplishments

counsellingurposeurpose of this workout
    screening:discuss on any health concerns
    rapport:time to talk through with your client

WARM UP
    purpose:why warm up is important
    intensity:how the warm up should feel(RPE)
    time:length of warm up
    type:choice of exercise

CARDIOVASCULAR CONDITIONING
    pupose:why cardio training is important
    frequency:how many times/week cardio training shoud be
    intensity:how the cardio should feel(RPE) exercise HR giving the client a target
    time:length of cardio is appropriate for the client
    type:appropriate exercise

RESISTANCE TRAINING
    purpose:why resistance training is important
    frequency:how many times/week resistance training should be performed
    intensity:how many reps/sets of each exercise level/goal
    time:duration of repetition how much rest should occur btwn sets

FLEXIBILTY
    purpose:why flexibilty is important
    frequency:how many times/week flexiblity training should be performed
    intensity:how flexiblity should feel
    type: stretch, technique, purpose

Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker
    Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it!
    your welcome and the best of luck

Can one more personal trainer please answer my interview. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

<Bump>
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

I would be ever so thankful if one more person could please do the interview. Thanks.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    you're still waiting? that was back in october...still havent interviewed anyone?
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

nestas a fukkin joke man. go get a real cert. watch the guys videos., ****in hilarious. "ok now for shrugs roll them forward. then the next set roll them backl" "this is a biceps curl" hahah its a joke man dont even waste your time
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

It's just a cert. The training starts once you are certified. If I have some time later on, I will answer the questions.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Name: Stephen J. Barrett

Years in the industry: 3 yrs as a personal trainer

Certifying organization: Can-Fit-Pro; YMCA

Environment in which you work (gym, home, corporate....): Gym

Are you the business owner, partner, independent contractor or employee?: I am an employee with the local gym.

1) What advice would you give to a person who is now establishing a personal training business?

As I donít not run the gym, I cannot actually provide feedback on this question. Having said that, if I did have my own business, I would make certain that I managed the expectations of my clients (Donít set goals that can not be reached). I would also make sure that I was fully covered by insurance!

2) What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?

The most rewarding aspect of the job are client success stories. Ex. When my clients reach and surpass their goals. One client came in with tears in her eyes, her 1st long-term goal was to loose 25 lbs, and she had lost 35 instead.

3) What is the least favorite aspect of your job?

Least favourite aspect of the job is working with clients who want to look like Greek Gods, but donít want to put any effort into their workouts. I feel like Iím wasting my time with them

4) What would you change about your job if you could? Why? NA

5) What types of clients do you prefer to work with? Why?

Most of my clients are over-weight middle-aged men and women. I find it very difficult to push them to the level that I think they should be working out at. I prefer to work with younger folks who have the drive and determination to push themselves.

6) How do you reduce liability? I am fully covered under the gym I work for and I have addition insurance.

My client evaluations typically last about 1 hour. The facility that I work for charges and addition fee for Fitness Testing (% body fat, flexibility, etc) so I tend to skip this portion for those who do not want to pay. I have my clients fill out a PAR-Q and questionnaire asking them about goals and current level physical fitness. This time also allows us to get to know each other.

Thanks so much Stephen!

Thanks Maki. That would be very cool if you could do that for me.

I know Nesta isn't the greatest but I think the places I'm going to apply don't need anything greater than it.

I've been busy with school and haven't got around to doing the certification.