The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Close grip bencher

A buddy of mine was telling me that he read something about a powerlifter who used a very close grip while ding the bench. So close that it was a close grip bench press. I was just curious if anyoneh as heard of this guy?
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by BigNic
    A buddy of mine was telling me that he read something about a powerlifter who used a very close grip while ding the bench. So close that it was a close grip bench press. I was just curious if anyoneh as heard of this guy?
    He's not THAT exceptional. I have to do the same after tearing my pec. But someone stronger who's done it: Neil Confessore (Chris' brother).

Wannabebig New Member
    I may be mistaken, but dont most feds require at least pinkies on the power rings?

your mistaken
    Not sure what the closest grip allowed is but i use pointer finger touching the smooth in meets.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon
    your mistaken
    Not sure what the closest grip allowed is but i use pointer finger touching the smooth in meets.
    Wow Adam thats close can you actually do more wt. there? I suppose you've tried going wider.

I use that grip at meets when i dont wear a bench shirt. RAW i can do more with a closegrip but with the shirt im stronger out wider.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

such a grip isn't exceptional. I use the same grip for doing reps. At or near max I go about 2" outside the smooth part. Haven't benched in a shirt in almost a decade, but would probably also lift more with a wide grip then, especially as my triceps are always the weak link.

id like to try that out sometime but im worried about wasting a chest week trying to try new ways to grip, right now i grip with my ring finger around the two rings and that takes like all the pressure off my shoulders when i bring it down to the lowest part of my chest bone. My lift partner also holds closer, although not that close, because he heard it helps you put up more weight as well.

Im just afaraid of my triceps not being able to keep up with my chest that way, although they are pretty stong to being with. Decisions, decisions......

Emjlr3 why not just finish with some close grips?

o wel ldi bench day today, my freind tried my style off his old closer grip and made improvemnts, i think ill stick to the way ive been donig things, 15lb rep improvment in the past month!! go me!!

I am far stronger with a close-grip and it feels more comfortable. I used this grip for a lot time until I decided my chest needed some extra attention.