Thread: diagnosis

Hybrid View

diagnosis

Recently I have had pain in my left tricept. At first I thought I tore my tricept but after visiting the doctor and having an EMG I was diagnosed with Parsonage Turner Syndrome. Has anybody ever heard of this? Does it have anything to do with lifting? Basically my nerves are damaged and my tricept has atrophied from lack of use. Any info?

Didn't your doctor give you any info? Try doing a search on google. :P
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

"Most patients with Parsonage-Turner Syndrome will recover
    without any treatment."

Parsonage-Turner Syndrome, also known as Brachial Plexus Neuritis or Neuralgic Amyotrophy, is a common condition characterized by inflammation of a network of nerves that control and supply (innervate) the muscles of the chest, shoulders, and arms (brachial plexus).
    Individuals with the condition first experience a sudden onset of severe pain across the shoulder and upper arm. Within a few hours or days, the muscles of the affected shoulder may be affected by weakness, wasting (atrophy), and paralysis (atrophic paralysis). Although individuals with the condition may experience paralysis of the affected areas for months or, in some cases, years, recovery is usually complete.
    The exact cause of Parsonage-Turner Syndrome is not known.
    http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/nord726.asp
    Parsonage-Turner is a clinically defined syndrome that is easily confused with other neck and upper extremity abnormalities. Affected patients present with a characteristic pattern of sudden and acute pain across the top of the shoulder, lasting a few hours to a fortnight, followed by flaccid paralysis of some muscles of the shoulder girdle. Features supporting strongly diagnosis of Parsonage-Turner disease include:
    -discrepancy for muscles wasting and denervation between muscles innervated by the same nerve;
    -patchwork distribution of muscles denervation for muscles that are innervated by several nerves or nerve trunk arising from the brachial plexus;
    -dissociation between sparing of the sensory nerve action potential and muscles denervation depending from the same mixed nerves.
    The incidence has been estimated at approximately 1.64 in 100,000, with a peak rate between the third and fifth decades and a slight male predominance. Although different precipitating factors, such as infection, trauma, surgery, immunization, and autoimmune mechanisms, have been suspected and incriminated in the occurrence of Parsonage-Turner syndrome, the etiology remains unknown. Prognosis is generally favorable, with about 75% of complete recovery within 2 years. Treatment is symptomatic and is based on analgesic drugs and physical therapy. *Author: Dr I. Kolev (July 2004)*.
    http://www.orpha.net/static/GB/parso..._syndrome.html
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...urner+Syndrome