The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weak Grip

Hybrid View

Pumping Iron @ Villy!

Weak Grip

I have a really weak grip, when I do LAt pulldowns, when im close to the end, my hand starts slipping of the bar, and when i do shrugs, i can't grip the heavy weights well. My grip is so weak, any ideas on what to do?
    "Geneing Leans Green"

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

use chalk, or better yet, an Ecco Ball (chalkless chalk).
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    umm. i dont thinkit will help, i use weight lfiting gloves,and they dont hnelp either
    "Geneing Leans Green"

Ditch the gloves, use some chalk.

Do direct grip work. Just hang on to stuff until your grip fails. Eventually it'll get stronger.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

I've been using gloves for the last 4 weeks. I agree with Max-Mex...ditch the gloves. Mine piss me off because they actually shorten my grip (the leather padding doesn't help). I have small hands to begin with so this further sucks. Only reason I'm using them still is becuase the girlfriend doesn't like my calused hands...women...go figure. You could also get wrist straps...although then you'll never develope a good grip. I would work on strengthening your grip with some Reverse Curls. They work great for this. Also, use an as*load of chalk if your hands sweat as bad as mine do while lifting.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

I am sick of that bull shiate about wraps hurt your grip. Use em if you need support and TRAIN your grip independently. I regularly use straps for heavy near max sets when my grip is the weakness, AND I do static holds and farmers walks particularly for grip work, which has continually gotten better on my wrapped dls. YES thats right, you still need grip strength to progress even with wraps, otherwise the wraps would just rip into your wrists smart guys.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Quote Originally Posted by pusher
    I am sick of that bull shiate about wraps hurt your grip. Use em if you need support and TRAIN your grip independently. I regularly use straps for heavy near max sets when my grip is the weakness, AND I do static holds and farmers walks particularly for grip work, which has continually gotten better on my wrapped dls. YES thats right, you still need grip strength to progress even with wraps, otherwise the wraps would just rip into your wrists smart guys.
    I don't think anyone ever said you should never use straps ever, but for a novice and even advanced trainees, they will be better served by minimizing the use of straps.

Anyone, gloves will limit grip strength because they increase the diameter of the gripped object (especially padded gloves). Gloves improve grip strength by increasing friction.

Chalk or our fav substitute, the eco ball, minimizes grip diameter and increases friction.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    I don't think anyone ever said you should never use straps ever, but for a novice and even advanced trainees, they will be better served by minimizing the use of straps.
    *** You are right. My distaste is more from seing the same hate and illogical opinions about straps that was present in a recent thread.

I agree with the advice above if your problem is that the bar 'slips' away from sweaty hands or worn threads. But more often it is a general grip strength problem, and for that I suggest training your grip with statics etc.
    Last edited by pusher; 09-24-2004 at 05:13 PM.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pusher
    training your grip with statics etc.
    How would one go about doing that? I don't really know what statics is.

[QUOTE=Kiaran]Only reason I'm using them still is becuase the girlfriend doesn't like my calused hands...women...go figure.QUOTE]

I don't like them myself, messes me up when I massage people/myself.
    Girls don't like the calloused hands, I put some hand cream on my hands and the callouses never get bad, usually before I go to bed.

Hold on to something (barbell, DB's, hanging from a lat bar) until you can't hold on.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

load the bar up weight alot of weight, have it close to waist height, unrack it and hold it(like a deadlift lockout)
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Max and Adam- thanks for the advice. Also, if my forearms get buff, will that increase my grip strength?

possibly
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

chalks not allowed in many gyms. where do you lift? Too work on grip do some wrist curls supinated and pronated. Whats really good is taking a broom stick or any type of stick. Tie a rope and dumbell to it. twist the broom untill you bring the dumbell to the top with your hands. This fires your forearms and will improve your grip.
    Never Giving In.

Wannabebig New Member
    Work your stuff without straps bro . The more you go without the stronger your grip will get .

The only thing I ever used straps for are really heavy shrugs .

Suck it up .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    :withstupi
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 05-03-2005 at 05:00 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Although this thread is a good 6 months or so old, I now agree with the heavy static holds. Hold onto a pullup bar for as long as you can...it works for me.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Although this thread is a good 6 months or so old, I now agree with the heavy static holds. Hold onto a pullup bar for as long as you can...it works for me.
    My grip has improved a lot since then :P You can thank Canadian Crippler for bumping it for no reason though.
    "Geneing Leans Green"

Quote Originally Posted by Nito
    My grip has improved a lot since then :P You can thank Canadian Crippler for bumping it for no reason though.
    That's awesome. So, what have you been doing to help the grip? Static holds?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

yea man, work your forearms.

Also, I'd start doing BB shoulder shrugs. Since you have to hold on to such a heavy amount of weight, it builds your grip up real good.

--Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyboyXJ
    Also, I'd start doing BB shoulder shrugs. Since you have to hold on to such a heavy amount of weight, it builds your grip up real good.

--Dan.
    Heavy deads work well too.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-03-2005 at 08:28 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Heavy deads work well too.
    Definitely; plus try some hang cleans.

--Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyboyXJ
    Definitely; plus try some hang cleans.

--Dan.
    Yep, and weighted pullups also work well.
    Lifting Journal