Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Video of me deadlifting 600 without a belt

  1. #1
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,681

    Video of me deadlifting 600 without a belt

    Well, just what the title says. I pulled 600 in conventional style with nothing but hand chalk. I had a bit more in me as well.


    http://www.wannabebig.com/vids/Chris...%20-%20600.mov


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  2. #2
    LittleJake JSully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,172

  3. #3
    Wannabe a Beast BigNic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,011
    damn chris, what are your pulling goals right now?
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Kitchener, ON
    Posts
    11,341
    cool but what's with all the little hip-bobs before the pull? Just getting into your groove? something else?

  5. #5
    Do that voodoo that he do
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bangor, ME, United States
    Posts
    4,173


    *ambushes Chris with the crowbar to the knee*

    Good lift, man.

    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

    "Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

  6. #6
    Hungry BCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1
    Chris, I know you're wife is on the left side lifting it, I can't believe you tried to pull this
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."


    In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

  7. #7
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,681
    The gyrations are just my way of mentally preparing for the lift. It is a bit comical I admit.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,020
    A bit comical???

    Nice lift, Chris. But I really think you should take it easy for awhile so you don't aggrevate your back.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

  9. #9
    Senior Member Manveet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    White Rock, BC
    Posts
    5,774
    I'm surprised at how high your hips are when you start the lift. Seems like it's all back, and very little leg drive. Is this how most people do their deadlifts? For some reason, I'd imagine your hips starting lower, so you could use more leg drive, but then again, I don't deadlift.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

    Richard Dawkins


    "Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."


    Richard Dawkins


    "Bah. You know I hate poor people."

    Paul Stagg

  10. #10
    Banned SalahG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by Manveet
    I'm surprised at how high your hips are when you start the lift. Seems like it's all back, and very little leg drive. Is this how most people do their deadlifts? For some reason, I'd imagine your hips starting lower, so you could use more leg drive, but then again, I don't deadlift.
    That is a common misconeption in the deadlift. The muscles that deadlift big weights are: Hamstrings, Back, and Hips. Not your quads. I think Chris had a very good stance.

  11. #11
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,681
    Deadlift style is very individual. Some people use much more leg drive and other much more lower back.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  12. #12
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,681
    Quote Originally Posted by SalahG
    That is a common misconeption in the deadlift. The muscles that deadlift big weights are: Hamstrings, Back, and Hips. Not your quads. I think Chris had a very good stance.

    Thank you.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  13. #13
    Senior Member bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    va
    Posts
    207
    Chris your tha man.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    Deadlift style is very individual. Some people use much more leg drive and other much more lower back.
    I really don't see how you could ever use more leg than back on deadlift. Using your back is simply more efficient.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,392
    jesus christ, just watched the video, and god damn you were using soo much back you could have almost called that a straight legged deadlift!

  16. #16
    Procrastinator
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    398
    I feel like such a puss

  17. #17
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    this thread should be renamed "chris' a$$!"

    lol good lift man, made my back hurt just watchin.

    i personally start with more leg drive to get the weight up then pull up from there, but as you say, very indivual lift.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  18. #18
    back at it Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    0
    You look leaner every time I see you! Nice DL.

    D 435 / S 340 / B 305

    Journal

    "I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

    "OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

    "Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by staggard
    I feel like such a puss
    LMAO, I cracked up when I read that. Couldnt help but laugh @ that one.

    I tried downloading the video but for some damn reason it wouldnt let me watch it. From what I've seen from other comments you had a curve in your back & used all back while lifting 600. Put you in a powerlifting suit & keep your back straight I'd be willing to bet you'd break 700. From previous pics I've seen you have one hell of a back on ya. Good job on the lift even though I didnt get to see it.
    Southern Pride !

  20. #20
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,681
    Well, I don't think I would be busting 700 as of quite yet, but who knows? I have never tried a deadlift suit, it might help me quite a bit.

    In any event, I don't think it is quite as extreme as is being represented here.

    You need to have QuickTime in order to watch the video. That may be your problem J.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  21. #21
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    You look leaner every time I see you! Nice DL.

    Thank you. Actually, I am in the process of trying to reverse that trend a bit. I want to add 10 lbs or so. Unfortunately not all of it will be muscle...


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  22. #22
    Senior Member Manveet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    White Rock, BC
    Posts
    5,774
    Quote Originally Posted by SalahG
    That is a common misconeption in the deadlift. The muscles that deadlift big weights are: Hamstrings, Back, and Hips. Not your quads. I think Chris had a very good stance.

    I see.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

    Richard Dawkins


    "Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."


    Richard Dawkins


    "Bah. You know I hate poor people."

    Paul Stagg

  23. #23
    Bismarck in Training emjlr3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Abingdon, MD
    Posts
    802
    how that is a lot of back....that jsut looks like it hurts, in anycase nicely done

  24. #24
    Moderator Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    5,720
    Impressive! Your form looks similar to my deads http://wannabebig.com/vids/adam/adam405x2deadmay2.AVI
    Also, looks like you've lost a TON of fat in the last few months!
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

    "Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

    "A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

    "However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

    Powerlifting Westside Style

  25. #25
    King Nothing ericg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    6,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon
    ...Also, looks like you've lost a TON of fat in the last few months!
    Agree. Now we cant poke fun at your flubber, just your hairyness.

    Nice lift Chris, very impressive
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

    My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •