The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Cold Sore Question ...

How do I get rid of them? I have a small one starting on my lip and what to do whatever it takes to get rid of quickly. I have heard certain foods are good to eat and some are bad to eat while you have a cold sore. Any recommendations on what to do ?

Thx
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Take the amino acid l-lysine.

How many mg's would you recommend a day ?
    Last edited by Genacide; 09-21-2004 at 10:58 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Abreva. you can buy it at the drug store.

I have always had them. I have tried every medicine out there and the Abreva will clear it up in 1/3 the amount of time as the others.
    Tuef = "I need to get my ego stroked more often."

Quote Originally Posted by musicguy
    Take the amino acid l-lysine.
    agreed

as soon as you start to feel the tingle take lysine

as many as you like

also, wrap some ice in a rag/cloth and hold it to your lip

Quote Originally Posted by Genacide
    How many mg's would you recommend a day ?
    I think the ones I get are 500 mg. each. I know I've taken as many as 2 of these at a time, 3 times a day.

From my understanding it is well-tolerated, with no ill effects. Lysine represses the activity of the virus which causes the cores. Arginine stimulates the virus, so you should always balance your arginine supplementation with lysine.

Lysine should stop the sore from getting any worse, and also speed up the healing process.

go lookup cures for herpes on google.
    cold sore = herpes

my understanding is that there is no cure for any of the strains of herpes , only remedies . geoff's right though , a cold sore is herpes in some form or another , no matter how you look at it .
    [UNITY]

Abreva at Walmart $14.50 after tax
    Last edited by Genacide; 09-22-2004 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizotch
    my understanding is that there is no cure for any of the strains of herpes , only remedies . geoff's right though , a cold sore is herpes in some form or another , no matter how you look at it .
    I think herpes zoster is the one that doesnt have a cure.
    A cold sore is herpes simplex I believe and I have gotten rid of them in the past. They developed from a poor diet and stress.

herpes simplex is always present in your system , just because a cold sore is gone doesnt mean that the virus has been exiled from your system . sure it isnt as severe as many of the other herpes strains , but its ever present nontheless .
    [UNITY]

Quote Originally Posted by Gizotch
    herpes simplex is always present in your system, just because a cold sore is gone doesnt mean that the virus has been exiled from your system.
    Exactly. I used to get painful sores on the inside of my mouth that hurt terribly... I talked to a local pharmacist who told me about the lysine and arginine connection.

I'm currently supplementing with an amino acid blend which includes lysine, and sometimes take another 1 or 2, 500 mgs. lysine tablets during the course of a day.

Now the occurances of these sores are very rare, and they NEVER get as big or painful. If I feel one getting started, I increase the lysine a bit and it stops it from developing any further.

Again, lysine represses the activity of the virus; arginine stimulates it.

Wannabebig Member
    I used to get silver dollar sized "colonies" of those damned things on my chin and other parts of my face. Yeah, the arginine/lysine thing is widely reported, but I've never noticed increased breakouts even when taking up to 20 grams of supplemental arginine a day. For me, it's mostly a sleep deprivation/stress related thing. At this point, only presciption meds really work -- 3 doses of Valtrex (yes, the genital herpes drug) taken about 8 hrs apart pretty much stop the breakout in it's tracks if I take it at the first signs of blistering. I used to use the less powerful Acyclovir (sp?) but you have to take 5 pills a day for 5 days, and it seemed to stop working as well after years of use. Regular use of these drugs has seemed to stop the really monster outbreaks from occuring anymore, even if I use no treatment at all. The small blisters still take forever to heal if left alone, though. Mostly, I try to get enough sleep and not stress out -- but you should do that aready if you're serious about putting on the muscle, right?
    Last edited by Peter Parker; 09-28-2004 at 09:15 AM.
    Turning myself into Spiderman with heavy weights and force of will, 'cause radioactive spider bites will only give you cancer.....