The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

sweating / sauna theory

k so i was thinking...

sweating uses body fluids; mainly water

drink LOTS before your workout, a decent amount to keep well hydrated during.

you go into the sauna, yo end up sweating, which is mostly water

thereby forcing you to drink more water

drinking water burns calories instead of adding them, 1 gallon burns 200 calories. So greater water consumption without bloating yourself; sweat!

that means you could mabye squeeze in 1/2 a gallon extra if you sweat enough during your workout and in the sauna.

so wut do ya think?
    Last edited by Shad; 09-27-2004 at 05:21 PM.
    think youve got an edge on me? think again.

Shad

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You can drink up to about 2.5 gallons per day safely, sauna or not. Just because you sweat more doesn't mean your body can take in more fluids before water intoxication occurs. Unfortunately that seems to be the predominant thinking and why people die from toxic levels of water.

Studies have shown that Saunas offer therapeutic values both for the body and mind. Regular use can increase cardiovascular strength, lower blood pressure, improve lung function, and even relieve some skin disorders. Just 30 minutes a day can burn 300-600 calories, contributing to healthy weight control.
    As you unwind, your body is actually hard at work producing sweat and increasing your heart rate, which in turn burns calories. According to a Journal of the American Medical Association findings, a 30 minutes Sauna session you may burn as many calories as you would rowing or jogging for the same amount of time.
    http://www.calspas.com/saunas/benefits_saunas.asp
    Health Benefits from Sauna Time

Quote Originally Posted by Shad
    drinking water burns calories instead of adding them, 1 gallon burns 200 calories.
    do you have any evidence of that?
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 09-27-2004 at 05:27 PM.

no solid evidence i can show you. Ive read alot about how water consumption burns calorie.

think about it, water contains no fats, no anything exept hydrogen and oxygen. Those cant add calories.

Digesting obviously burns calories, so digesting water comes with a cost, but adds no calories.

so if your body has to process a gallon of water, through your intestines into your blood cells rehydrating both your skin, red and white blood cells with water. Theres a definate high calorie consumption, since no other nutrience need to be delivered so widley through the body.

drink water, live long live healthy!

Shad

Banned
    I don't think one gallon of water burns 200 calories, but water (especially cold water) does force your body to use energy to raise it to body temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    I don't think one gallon of water burns 200 calories, but water (especially cold water) does force your body to use energy to raise it to body temperature.
    I have this all calculated out in my journal if ya want to read up on it...kinda goofy, kinda interesting

no solid evidence i can show you. Ive read alot about how water consumption burns calorie.
    ur right
    Does drinking more water really help dieting? A small study says it may help you burn a few more calories each day. How many? About 50 calories per liter or quart of water.
    http://walking.about.com/cs/howtolos...ater011204.htm
    I'd imagine this is largely dependent upon the temperature of the water though. In any case, it has no bearing on being in a sauna.
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 09-27-2004 at 05:31 PM.

well there ya go water does burn calories

your missing the point

sweating is another way of dehydrating you, sweat is produced by bodily fluiods that are easily transferrable and obtained.

so sweat more = body has less water for bodily functions...means you drink more.. get it...

Shad

so geoff, if you drank cold water it would burn more cals??
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

sweating is another way of dehydrating you, sweat is produced by bodily fluiods that are easily transferrable and obtained.

so sweat more = body has less water for bodily functions...means you drink more.. get it...
    no, it doesn't work that way. There is a finite amount of liquid your body can take in during a day before it goes into the toxic level, that number doesn't increase just because you sweat more.
    It just means your body will retain more of this water and piss out less.

as for burning calories from cold water, etc...
    Impact of food/air temperature on calories burned

In theory, raising the temperature of 1 liter of water by one degree Celsius (from body heat or any other heat) takes 1,000 calories.
    The lower the temperature of the water the faster this would happen.
    If all of the warming of the water came from body heat then in theory the body would have to replace this by burning 1,000 calories of fat (or sugar).

The body must remain at about 37-degrees Celsius (98.6-degrees Fahrenheit) to function normally.
    So iff extracting heat from someone fast enough to make some fat burning difference, hypothermia would quickly set in.
    This is a condition in which the body temperature decreases below 37-degrees Celsius and shock begins to set in (lowering of blood pressure and repiratory rates).

In concluson, for losing weight there is no substitute (including the Cold Water Vest) for moving more (i.e., exercise) while eating less (i.e., well- balanced weight loss diet recommended by a doctor familiar with your health).

Frederick Sweet, Ph.D. Ob-Gyn, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis MO
    http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...6816.Me.r.html
    Calorie (cal): A calorie is the heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1oC, from 16.5o C to 17.5o C.

1 calorie = 4.184 joules (J)
    http://www.webdesignpros.net/wellness/calories.html

suppose that you drank water that was 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Your body must burn a few calories to warm the water to body temperature of 98.6 degrees. To raise one pint of 50 degree water the 48.6 degrees to body temperature, about 12.25 calories are burned. That doesn't sound like much, but suppose you drink only 3 pints a day for a year; that's almost 4500 calories or 1.4 to 3.1 pounds of weight loss.

If the water were colder, say ice cold, or if more water was drunk, more calories would be burned and more weight would potentially be lost.

There is also a slight "carry factor." Your body must burn a few calories just to carry the weight of the water you drink. A pint of water is said to weigh a pound, so carrying that pint inside your body is like carrying a one pound weight in your hand. Your body will burn a few calories simply to tote the weight around.

For the cold water diet, the "carry factor" is not very great, but over a year it will amount to the loss of more than an additional pound. Supposing you "carry" the pound of cold water during 18 hours of the day, you'll burn about an extra 4100 calories per year. On average, that would represent about 1.9 pounds of additional weight loss.
    http://www.prisoners.com/cwaterd.html
    Your body's "appestat" is located in the brain near the "thermostat." If your body temperature drops, your appetite increases and you experience hunger. Eating "stokes the furnace," generates heat, and helps warm your body. Hence, winter exercisers should always carry carbs with them for fuel. Winter campers, for example, commonly keep a supply of dried fruit, chocolate or cookies nearby, so they can "stoke the furnace" if they wake up cold in the middle of the night.

Food's overall warming effect is known as thermogenesis (that is, "heat making"). Thirty to sixty minutes after you eat, your body generates about 10% more heat than when you have an empty stomach. This increased metabolism stems primarily from energy released during digestion. Hence, eating not only provides fuel but also increases heat production.
    fight to keep from losing ions.
    http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...0/zoo00094.htm
    this would equal 14.6lbs of weight loss per year!
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 09-27-2004 at 05:41 PM.

Well, I'm glad my new gym has a sauna. Can't wait to use it!
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

i really doubt the validity of over hydrating to the point of the toxic toxic level.

on days i have drank alotta gatorade cause i had 3 soccer games ina row i tend to piss alot while retaining carbs?

Sweating also helped i only pissed after the 2nd game, that was after 3 bottles of spring water 2 gatorades and 1 glass of milk.

so i still doubt that sweating can not have an effect on water intake.

Shad

i really doubt the validity of over hydrating to the point of the toxic toxic level.
    read this then, by the end of all this reading you should hvae a better understanding of why sweating does not affect the amount of water your body needs:
    How much water
    water intoxication.
    What happens is the sodium level in the blood reaches very low levels (because of dilution by excess water which can only be excreted in the urine, sweat or breath). This disturbs water balance in the brain, which can cause epileptic seizures and even death.

Research has shown that a person can safely drink up to 10 liters of water a day. An exception would be persons with kidney disease who are limited in the amount of water they can drink per day. Persons with bladder infections benefit from increasing their water intake.
    http://www.dietitian.com/fluids.html

A large volume of water thins the blood and can actually make you "drunk." It washes water soluble nutrients (such as B vitamins) from the body. For a few persons with congestive heart disease or other conditions, serious edema or other conditions might occur. The kidneys have to work harder to remove the excess water from the body and that too must be taken into account. Someone drinking a lot of water would have to take vitamins and minerals to replace those purged from the body and would have to carefully avoid salt.
    http://www.prisoners.com/cwaterd.html

"water intoxication." Is usually associated with long distance events like running and cycling, itís not an unusual problem.
    For example, water intoxication was reported in 18% of marathon runners and in 29% of the finishers in a Hawaiian Ironman Triathlon in studies published recently in the Annals of Internal Medicine and in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise respectively.

What happens is that as the athlete consumes large amounts of water over the course of the event, blood plasma (the liquid part of blood) increases. As this takes place, the salt content of the blood is diluted. At the same time, the athlete is losing salt by sweating. Consequently, the amount of salt available to the body tissues decreases over time to a point where the loss interferes with brain, heart, and muscle function.

The official name for this condition is hyponatremia. The symptoms generally mirror those of dehydration (apathy, confusion, nausea, and fatigue), although some individuals show no symptoms at all. If untreated, hyponatremia can lead to coma and even death.

Enough, but not too much. The fluid requirement for the majority of endurance athletes, under most conditions, is about 8 to 16 ounces per hour. There is considerable variation here, of course, due to individual sweating rates, body size and weight, heat and humidity, and running speed, and other factors. Still, much more than this amount of fluid is, in most instances, probably physiologically excessive as well as uncomfortable, as liquid sloshes around in the gut during the activity.
    It is now thought people should follow the dictates of thirst and not to exceed 1-1.5 quarts per hour
    http://healthfactsandfears.com/featu...ter072403.html
    1 liter = 4.22675282 US cups
    1 US gallon = 3.7854118 liters
    1 US cup = 8 US fluid ounces
    1 US quart = 4 US cups
    1 US gallon = 4 US quarts

SOO!!! it appears that
    4-6 cups, or 32-48oz per hour is close to the limit

and 42 cups, 336oz, 2.65 gallons is around the safe daily intake limit, although its considered VERY high and beyond overkill
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 09-27-2004 at 08:33 PM.

i see, didnt think of the fact that water would dillute the blood stream. That could also mean t may be harder to transport vital vitamins and minerals do the organs / muscles.

thanks
    Last edited by Shad; 09-28-2004 at 09:42 AM.

Shad