Thread: Quick question about DB bench and BB bench

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Quick question about DB bench and BB bench

Question about DBs and BBs. I heard lots of you guys saying that you like to use DBs for the bench press as it works more of the muscle and gives far better gains. Even though this might be true, do you guys still alternate benching between DBs and BBs? Or just strictly DBs?

i do just DB's just to save time and BB bench feels funny to me now after doing DB's for a while

but most people will say to do both, and i think that's a pretty good idea

Wannabebig Member
    i think they are the same , i know some people that hate doing it with BB's so they do it with DB'S

Yeah...I was thinking I probably wanna alternate. And are DB and BB benches the same as far as weight goes? Because I do about 80-85 bench for rep using BBs (yeah, I know I'm weak). So, would I just use two 40-pound DBs and do the same thing? I'm thinking that the DBs might be a little harder and that I should maybe do two 35-pound DBs? What do you guys think?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 09-28-2004 at 06:28 PM.

Test out.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Banned
    Chances are you won't be able to lift as much combined weight with 2 dumbbells as you can with a barbell, unless of course your muscles are more accustomed to doing db's than bb.

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    Chances are you won't be able to lift as much combined weight with 2 dumbbells as you can with a barbell, unless of course your muscles are more accustomed to doing db's than bb.
    Yeah, I thought so. So, I think I'm going to try 35-pound DBs.

Also, while I'm here, I have a question about DB flies. I currently do the Pec Deck 50 lbs. for reps. How much weight on the DBs do you guys think I should do? 25 each?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

I do both DB and BB bench on chest/tri day. I figure if one works better then the other, im fine

25lb DB's for flys will be too much for you. I push 200 lbs on the pec flye machine and 25-35's for perfect form (straight arm all the way down) get me sweating.

Don't worry about your weight, just keep good form. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    25lb DB's for flys will be too much for you. I push 200 lbs on the pec flye machine and 25-35's for perfect form (straight arm all the way down) get me sweating.

Don't worry about your weight, just keep good form. good luck.
    Really? So, how much do you think I should do? 15?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Just try it out. You'll find a weight that feels good for you. We can't tell you exactly how much you should be lifting.

IMO do both. As you keep using the BB and gain strength, you'll be surprised how fast the poundage goes up on D.B's. After you hit your first goal in bench strength, then make the decision on what works for you.
    Formerly "Tough Old Man"

Why dumbells?

Dumbells allow you to to train with complete range of motion. The reason is that a deeper stretch can be obtained with dumbbells at the bottom of the movement than with a barbell or machine. Dumbells also allow you to place more stress on the target muscle groups. Take the bench press for example. By using dumbells, you can bring the weight to the sides of your chest as oppossed to the top of your chest as with a barbell. At the top of the movement you can bring the dumbells together for a tight squeeze adding more muscle and definition to your pecs. Dumbells also help strengthen the stabilizer muscles which over time, will build thick, dense muscle.

http://www.building-muscle101.com/du...exercises.html
    Formerly "Tough Old Man"

yes, however, have fun mounting your 100 pound dumbbells. If you get too strong, have fun finding 125+ pound dumbbells. Also, DBs get really hard on your wrists and I don't think you can focus as much on the muscles at hand (the pecs). You end up spending too much time stabalizing sh*t and not dropping the weight on your head. I've done both quite a bit. I definitely like BB better in the end. just my opinion though.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran
    yes, however, have fun mounting your 100 pound dumbbells. If you get too strong, have fun finding 125+ pound dumbbells. Also, DBs get really hard on your wrists and I don't think you can focus as much on the muscles at hand (the pecs). You end up spending too much time stabalizing sh*t and not dropping the weight on your head. I've done both quite a bit. I definitely like BB better in the end. just my opinion though.
    Well, I don't think I am going to get that strong for a while lol. Even if I hypothetically did get that strong, there are DBs up to 200 lbs. in the gym. But what you're saying about stabilizing the heavy DBs has certainly crossed my mind. Do any of you others have that problem? Any remedies to it?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 09-28-2004 at 09:47 PM.
    Lifting Journal

yeah start out with really light weight and just move up until you find the correct weight for you. it's a good warm up as well.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Yeah...I was thinking I probably wanna alternate. And are DB and BB benches the same as far as weight goes? Because I do about 80-85 bench for rep using BBs (yeah, I know I'm weak). So, would I just use two 40-pound DBs and do the same thing? I'm thinking that the DBs might be a little harder and that I should maybe do two 35-pound DBs? What do you guys think?
    When i first started, i maxed on like 80lbs on the BB. Later when i did DB presses and flies, i started at 25lbs for the press, and worked my way up to 30-35 (accidently did 35 on the right hand and 30 in the left). So thats probably perfect for you. I also do flies at 20lbs, but i keep my arms slightly bent (i think you are supposed to keep them slightly bent, at least that what exrx.net says).

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Well, I don't think I am going to get that strong for a while lol. Even if I hypothetically did get that strong, there are DBs up to 200 lbs. in the gym. But what you're saying about stabilizing the heavy DBs has certainly crossed my mind. Do any of you others have that problem? Any remedies to it?
    When I first started doing dumbbells I maxed out at like 50lbs each arm for 4. So as you get stronger your wrists get stronger. I can do 140lbs each arm for a couple and it doesn't even bother my wrists. The hardest part is getting the weight from your knees and then leaning back without losing your balance and falling off the bench. I thank God I haven't fallen yet, now that would hurt!

When you start going heavy, 6-8 reps, make sure you have a spotter so you dont burn out and drop the **** on your face!!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake
    When I first started doing dumbbells I maxed out at like 50lbs each arm for 4. So as you get stronger your wrists get stronger. I can do 140lbs each arm for a couple and it doesn't even bother my wrists. The hardest part is getting the weight from your knees and then leaning back without losing your balance and falling off the bench. I thank God I haven't fallen yet, now that would hurt!

When you start going heavy, 6-8 reps, make sure you have a spotter so you dont burn out and drop the **** on your face!!

heh heh, worst parts about DB I think are lugging the heavy fu*kers to and from your bench, mounting and dismounting (assuming you don't let them just drop), and when you burn out and one arm starts gettin' g4y and doesn't exactly go up in a straight path and throws off balance nearly causing you to have a bench-wreck.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log