The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

High Intensity Interval Training Question?

Well I would like to start the HIIT training, but I have some questions. I am currently using the elliptical glide machine for about 55 minutes 3-4 times a week. I do about 25 minutes prior to lifting and 30 minutes after lifting. If I do HIIT for 4 minutes with intervals of 30/30 before and another 4 minutes after lifting, will this benefit my body or will it be over kill for my body?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

any response here?

Banned
    I wouldn't really be wanting to do a workout after HIIT cardio. However, going for 8 minutes after your workout seems like a good plan.

I haven't tried the HIIT cardio yet so I will try doing it for 8 minutes after my workout. If I go with this 8 minute route Will I be losing more fat than if I were exercising for 55 the minutes?

Banned
    Probably not, but you also won't be burning nearly as much muscle, if you burn any at all.

On the Road to Redemption. Ironman_1964's Avatar
    One thing you have to take into consideration with any Cardiovascular activity is your hear rate. If your heart rate is too high, your body will consume protein for energy and too low, you will not have an effective workout.

I would separate my cardio from weight lifting. Do the Cardio in the morning on an empty stomach and weight lifting in the evening if your schedule permits.
    What am I on?
    My back for the bench press.
    My feet for the squat.
    What are you on?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman_1964
    One thing you have to take into consideration with any Cardiovascular activity is your hear rate. If your heart rate is too high, your body will consume protein for energy and too low, you will not have an effective workout.
    When doing HIIT, you are using carbs for energy. I don't know where this protein thing is coming from, but I can assure you, you're incorrect. The situation might change if you are on a keto diet, but that's a pretty big assumption to make as most people are not.

I suppose the other half of your statement is right. More simply put, however, if your heart rate is too low when doing cardio then you are half-assing it...period.

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    When doing HIIT, you are using carbs for energy. I don't know where this protein thing is coming from, but I can assure you, you're incorrect. The situation might change if you are on a keto diet, but that's a pretty big assumption to make as most people are not.

I suppose the other half of your statement is right. More simply put, however, if your heart rate is too low when doing cardio then you are half-assing it...period.

In all training heart rate zones, you burn a combination of carbohydrates, protein, and fats. As the heart rate increases, you burn more carbohydrates than fats.

As the percentages move closer to 100%, you burn more calories per minute. Even though the percentage of protein for fuel remains constant throughout all heart rate ranges, in the higher heart rate ranges, you burn more protein than in the lower ranges due to the number of calories burned per minute.

90% -100% of your maximum heart rate you burn 90% carbohydrates, 5% protein and 5% fats.

80% -90% of your maximum heart rate you burn 70% carbohydrates, 25% fats and 5% protein.

70% - 80% of your maximum heart rate you burn 55% carbohydrates, 40% fats and 5% protein.
    What am I on?
    My feet for the squat.
    What are you on?

In all training heart rate zones, you burn a combination of carbohydrates, protein, and fats. As the heart rate increases, you burn more carbohydrates than fats.

As the percentages move closer to 100%, you burn more calories per minute. Even though the percentage of protein for fuel remains constant throughout all heart rate ranges, in the higher heart rate ranges, you burn more protein than in the lower ranges due to the number of calories burned per minute.

90% -100% of your maximum heart rate you burn 90% carbohydrates, 5% protein and 5% fats.

80% -90% of your maximum heart rate you burn 70% carbohydrates, 25% fats and 5% protein.

70% - 80% of your maximum heart rate you burn 55% carbohydrates, 40% fats and 5% protein.
    Serious? Where'd you find this? it's pretty cool.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    i would go with that. i'm 247 and 6'3 with heels (its a full moon thing.) my HR is supposed to be 130-145 to burn fat and 160 + to do full cardio. if your HR is too fast your doesnt have time to break the fat into carbs to burn so it goes straight to carbs on hand then to protein if it runs out of carbs... so if doing cardio for fat burn make sure the HR is in the right region else your working on a stronger heart, not burning fat...
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran
    Serious? Where'd you find this? it's pretty cool.
    The information was taken from “The Heart Rate Monitor Book for Cyclists” written by Sally Edwards and Sally Reed.
    What am I on?
    My feet for the squat.
    What are you on?

Banned

Ok, I agree with this, but the total amount of protein used is really quite negligible for HIIT as most people (unless you're aka23) do HIIT for 5-10 minutes. In fact, the original poster is comparing 8 minutes of HIIT to 55 minutes of low intensity cardio. In this case, you would be burning far more total calories in the latter situation, and therefore would burn more protein doing the low-intensity cardio.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crazedwombat
    i would go with that. i'm 247 and 6'3 with heels (its a full moon thing.) my HR is supposed to be 130-145 to burn fat and 160 + to do full cardio. if your HR is too fast your doesnt have time to break the fat into carbs to burn so it goes straight to carbs on hand then to protein if it runs out of carbs... so if doing cardio for fat burn make sure the HR is in the right region else your working on a stronger heart, not burning fat...
    It doesn't matter if you burn fat or carbs, the goal of cardio in the pursuit of fat loss is burning CALORIES. If you wanted to burn a higher % of fat then carbs, then just continue to sit at your computer like you're doing now and you will be burning about the highest % of fat to carbs that you can reach.

Thanks for the info this information helped me out. My goal is to burn calories and not protein, I am going to try the High intensity training for as long as I can last then do a cool down.

yeah but ironman the way you worded your original responce was confusing though. You should've said you'll burn more calories which means you'll be wasting protien.

Anway, I don't really know if doing HIIT is a good idea after a workout. I don't know much about this sort of thing but wouldn't that create a catabolic state for your muscles pretty easily?

Well I tried the HIIT cardio and that was a hell of a workout I thought I was going to pass out. I only did about 8 minutes so I am deffinetly going to have to work my way up. I did sweat alot and hopefully they were calories. I am going to stick to 8 minutes for a little while just to get used to this intense workout.

Banned
    Sweat doesn't = burning calories, but I can guarantee you that you were in fact burning calories so don't "sweat" it . Wow, that was lame.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    Sweat doesn't = burning calories, but I can guarantee you that you were in fact burning calories so don't "sweat" it . Wow, that was lame.
    Hah.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Down with the Sickness
    I do HIIT after my weight training sessions and i have been gaining i only do 30 minutes of HIIT 60/60 for 30 minutes bf% down and i have added .50 inch to my arms, no supplements or any doodads just a good diet.

Quote Originally Posted by wrestlemaniac
    yeah but ironman the way you worded your original responce was confusing though. You should've said you'll burn more calories which means you'll be wasting protien.

Anway, I don't really know if doing HIIT is a good idea after a workout. I don't know much about this sort of thing but wouldn't that create a catabolic state for your muscles pretty easily?
    I would have to agree with you in my first statement. I didn’t go into enough detail, sorry about the misunderstanding.

I don’t like to combine weight lifting and cardio in the same workout.
    What am I on?
    My feet for the squat.
    What are you on?