Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sets/Reps

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Sets/Reps

How many sets/reps do you guys do for squats and deadlifts?

It depends on what you are trying to do, most people are going to ask for a bit more information from you, or give you their personal opinion. I personally do 4 sets 6-8 reps

Well, I'm going to incorporate in into the hurculean workout (3 days/week full-body workout). I want strength and endurance in my legs.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

4 * 8
    PROFILE, COMMENT PLZ
    My Journal

3:16
    i do low reps.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

5/6 sets of 8 - 12 reps

2 X 10 Warmup
    1 X 8
    1 X 6
    2 x 4
    A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

res firma mitescere nescit

Why do you guys all do such low reps?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Banned
    because lifting heavy weights is more fun than lifting not-so-heavy weights

well i follow arnolds work out routine,thats just the minimum i do i usually do round about 15 reps to 20 then when i can do 20 easily i either add another set or go for 25 reps that all depends on the weight i use. do deadlifts help leg development ive enver really bothered with them?
    Last edited by Monkey; 09-29-2004 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    because lifting heavy weights is more fun than lifting not-so-heavy weights
    nicely put, sig material perhaps.

1*8 warmup
    5*5 progressive to max,
    1*10 cool down.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

For deadlifts, I heard that when you do a lot of reps, it's harder to keep your form nice toward the end of the set. Is that true?
    Lifting Journal

Wannabebig Member
    im 15 years old and train with a friend who has been working out for over 10 years and i learned that heavy is not always best sometimes doing 10-15 with less weight and less rest can work just as good or even better

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey
    well i follow arnolds work out routine,thats just the minimum i do i usually do round about 15 reps to 20 then when i can do 20 easily i either add another set or go for 25 reps that all depends on the weight i use. do deadlifts help leg development ive enver really bothered with them?
    You're doing way too many reps.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    For deadlifts, I heard that when you do a lot of reps, it's harder to keep your form nice toward the end of the set. Is that true?
    I'll agree with that. When your grip and lower back are both close to giving out form can certainly suffer.

Matt04
    is there a set way to pyramid with the weights.

Why do you guys all do such low reps?
    Because it's so much more fun to lift big on deads than some pansy ass weight. It's nice to heard that big THUD when you drop the weight down. Scares the **** outta people in the gym.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Depends on % of 1 rep max I'm doing. If it's the program in which I do 65% of 1rm, I'll be doing 3x10. If it's the one where I'm doing about 75% I'll do 3x4, 3x6, 3x8 , moving it up with the same weight every week.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

I'll agree with that. When your grip and lower back are both close to giving out form can certainly suffer.
    But if I'm doing more reps with a lighter weight, is my form still suffering? Wouldn't it be the same thing as doing less reps and a heavier weight? For both of them, you get tired near the end which would make both of them have suffering form.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 09-29-2004 at 06:44 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Well, for me, I never go to failure on deads. I used but I felt that this led to some lower back problems. My sets, after warmups go like this:

2x3@315, 2x2@365

I'm 99% sure I can do at least 6 reps at 315 and 80% sure I can do 3-4 at 365 but I don't feel it's worth doing those extra sets. After 5 weeks I add weight to the first 2 sets (2x3@265) and leave the 2nd set the same. My goal is to eventually get my first set up to my second set. Again, going to failure is not my goal.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Banned
    But if I'm doing more reps with a lighter weight, is my form still suffering? Wouldn't it be the same thing as doing less reps and a heavier weight? For both of them, you get tired near the end which would make both of them have suffering form.
    I can't say this for grip, but in terms of your lower back giving out, it's going to happen on high reps, not low.

I can't say this for grip, but in terms of your lower back giving out, it's going to happen on high reps, not low.
    K, so for deadlifts is 12 reps too many? Or should it be lowered to 10? Or even 8?

So, is this the same way with squats? Should I do low reps so as to keep my good form and not give out and injure myself?
    Lifting Journal

Banned
    K, so for deadlifts is 12 reps too many? Or should it be lowered to 10? Or even 8?

So, is this the same way with squats? Should I do low reps so as to keep my good form and not give out and injure myself?
    Personally, I think there is a distinct difference between conventional deads and stiff-legged deads that becomes very relevant when deciding how many reps to perform. On a conventional deadlift it is only the postive portion of the motion that is doing anything beneficial for you. Lowering the weight can only lead to injury as far as I'm concerned. However, on a stiff-legged dead, the negative portion of the motion (the stretch) is probably more important than the concentric part.

Given this, I really only like doing "singles" for conventional deadlifts. The quotation marks are there for "singles" because, although I sometimes do max lifts, it's usually a set of 3-10 "singles" or so. In other words, I grip the bar, lift the weight, then drop it, and repeat the desired # of times. On the other hand, with stiff-legged deads I'd say anywhere from about 6-10 continuous reps is good.

I like 5-6 reps for squats. If I want to do higher rep leg work I'll do leg press or hack squats.

I do about 5 sets for squats and 5 for DL. Reps are usually around 4 or 5. I will lift whatever weight corresponds to that.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

why am i doing to many reps vido? i used to do 50 reps like 20 times on my arms with 15 kg on each arm and my arms are bigger than most adults i know so it cant be that bad ?