Thread: Warmups

Hybrid View

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Warmups

I hear you guys talking about doing warmups for squats and deadlifts all the time. What is the point of warmups and how do I do them? Also, what certain exercises need warmups?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

you do warmups to "warm up" your muscles so they aren't cold and liable to get hurt. i personally do warm up sets on all my lifts. i used to just go in and start my sets, but warming up properly gets the blood flowing and prevents injury.

you def. want to do warm up sets w/squats and deads cuz those are dangerous exercises if done w/o proper preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotosuds
    you do warmups to "warm up" your muscles so they aren't cold and liable to get hurt. i personally do warm up sets on all my lifts. i used to just go in and start my sets, but warming up properly gets the blood flowing and prevents injury.

you def. want to do warm up sets w/squats and deads cuz those are dangerous exercises if done w/o proper preparation.

Dang.. I never warm up with them.. first try I load the 225 on and do them.. and same with the deadlifts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Fisher
    Dang.. I never warm up with them.. first try I load the 225 on and do them.. and same with the deadlifts.
    Great idea... no need to warm up before using some of your largest muscle groups. If you didn't catch it...that was sarcasm. I'd advise you start practicing some prevention because you're only 15 now and you probably want your knees/back when you reach a ripe old age of say 17 or 18. If you're going to slack on warm ups (which is ridiculous enough as it is) squats and deads are the two worst exercises to do so on. Even people pulling/squating 500+ lbs warm up with the bar first and progress up before they start hitting the big stuff.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    How would I do warmups? Is there a general equation on figuring out how much weight to do for the warmup? And how many sets/reps should I do for the warmups?

Also, after doing warmups, do you guys think it limits how much you do during the workout? Like, do you think warmups make you a little bit tired? Or are they not even supposed to make you tired?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotosuds

huh?

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    huh?
    english > you

Banned
    I usually run for 10-12min. to get the blood flowing before every workout. The i'll do a lighter set on whatever excercise i'm doing before i jump to full intensity.

On the Road to Redemption. Ironman_1964's Avatar
    Iím an old guy so I do warm ups and cool downs after each weight lifting session. In addition, I stretch between my sets.
    What am I on?
    My back for the bench press.
    My feet for the squat.
    What are you on?

Banned
    What the hell are you guys who don't warm up thinking? Seriously, it's pretty much common sense that throwing 225lbs on your back and beginning to squat immediately upon entering the gym isn't a good idea.

At the VERY LEAST, do a couple of sets of your first exercise with lighter weights than you'll be using for your working sets. If you're working legs, I'd definitely ride the bike for 5-10 minutes before, maybe do some stretching, some light leg extensions and curls, and then head over to the squat rack. It's so easy to injure yourself, and basically just as easy to prevent it.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    english > you

hahahahah!!!

um, warm ups.... how can you even reach yoru max without warming up? i start on lower weights to wake up the selected muscle group, i would never be able to lift my max on cold muscles, only once they're all nice and flowing could i hope to.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Ready for take-off
    Like it was said in the previous posts, you deffinetly want to warm-up. There are different ways to do it. For example most people warming up for chest will go in and throw up 135lbs for 1 or 2 sets. I like to use the Max-Ot way of warming up. It works on a % of you max.

2 sets 10 reps at 50% max
    1 set 8 reps at 60%
    1 set 6 reps at 70%
    1 set 4 reps at 80%
    start your workout

It may take a litle longer to warm up but it really gets the blood pumping.

Lifting For Strength
    I usually do a lighter set a heavier set before working sets. For example, if I'm squatting 6 x 245 lbs, I will warm up 8 x 135 lbs, and maybe 4 x 185 lbs so I'm not worn out and the blood is flowing.

Hmm. I always do 1 warmup set of about 15 reps with about 50% of the weight I will eventually be moving on my last set. I do this on Bench Press, Rows, Dips, Curls, Squats, shoulder press and a few other exercises. If I'm doing an incline bench right after my flat bench, I don't bother because my sh*ts already warmed up.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log