The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Help!!! I need a good book to read!

Ok guys, here's the deal. I have to do a literary criticism term paper on a NOVEL by an AMERICAN AUTHOR. Any time period is fine. Please rack your brains and recommend a decent book you have read. I have no idea what to pick. We got a list of suggestions and the only things that looked slightly interesting were Catch 22, Portrait of a Lady, Cat's Cradle, The Crying of Lot 49, and Slaughterhouse Five? Are those any good?

Any comments greatly appreciated. I'll be doing a LOT of research and work with this book so I'm hoping to find something I'll like.

And if you can't think of a specific title, author suggestions are great too. Especially contemporary ones. Thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
    Catcher in the Rye

You want more contemporary? you know you should prolly ask "the girls" right? *wink wink nudge nudge* they come up with the best book reccomendations.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Catcher in the Rye..damn good
    Scarlett Letter
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Babbit
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
    A Seperate Peace

I think they're American authors

Of mice and men by John Steinbeck is pretty sexy, i also hear the grapes of wrath by the same guy is mean to be good but i've never read it.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

The Scarlet Letter
    Great Gatsby (Francis Scott Key is awesome)
    Whatever you do, don't read anything by John Steinbeck, the grapes of wrath is the boringest book ever written.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Thanks for the ideas, I've already read Catcher (loved it) Scarlet Letter (ok) To Kill a Mockingbird (decent) Babbitt (ok).

But more contemporary things are great! In fact, they would be a nice change from the typical school-assigned books and authors.

I dont really want to read any Mark Twain stuff because we'll be doing Huck Finn later this year, which I already read. And I read Tom Sawyer in Russian. So I think I've had enough of Twain, dont u think?

But what is A Separate Peace about? And One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest?

Of Mice and Men has lots of swearing. Jane, can you handle it? Grapes of Wrath is boring as shizat..that's why you buy Cliff's Notes

lmao, i didn't even see cd's post, bwhahaha

Well, I'm in a minority, but everyone likes "The Great Gatsby." It's short, which is good. I hated it. A lot of literary criticism out there, in case you need to crib.

I'm not up on my American authors, but when/if you get around to looking at the Victorian novel and any Elizabethan drama (especially Shakespeare), I'm your man!

A separate peace is about these two kids growing up at a private school, the one kid is a star athlete, the other is useless, one day the useless one pushed the athlete off a tree, but made it seem like an accident...anyways, its a good book, worth reading.

In the time I was composing my previous post, it appears someone else has recommended "The Great Gatsby." (I believe the author is actually Fitzgerald, I think, but I could be wrong. I think it's F. Scott Fitzgerald, but maybe that's someone else).

As I said, lots of people love it, like the other post. I don't. It's an easy read though.

I'm going to second "Catcher in the Rye." It kicks some serious ass.

If you can go contemporary, go with "Fight Club." Different ending from the movie, but again, an easy read, especially if you've seen the movie.

If you're looking for sort of pseudo-pop-spirituality, go with Richard Bach, "Illusions." It's fun, and short, an easy read.

Anything by Vonnegut is a GREAT read.

You won't get bored, that's for sure.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

The Great Gatsby is a fine choice...Tess is pretty good too, although a bit racier, if i remember correctly.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest is about a bunch of guys in an insane asylum. good story....

Anything by Edith Wharton is good too. Ethan Fromme is one of those school classics, but I kinda liked another one by her better...(it was either called Cherry or Summer...i think Summer) interesting read.

Oooh! you could gross yourself out, and get brownie points for analyzing yellow journalism with Upton Sinclair's Jungle!

hee hee.....you could do Tropic of Cancer.....or Ancient Evenings by Norman Mailer, but then i might be accused of corrupting a minor...those might be a bit too grown-up for ya. still good reads though.

I was going to suggest Gatsby, but seeing how it has allready been mentioned.... The best book that I ever had to read is Deffinitly Where The Red Fern Grows. Oh and there was another one I had to read for my humanities class last year Coming of Age In Mississippi Look at both of those

STFU heathj.

There. All better.

And thanks for the ideas. But its a shame I have already read a lot of this stuff.
    Great Gatsby is OUT because we will read it in class.
    Same goes for Grapes of Wrath. (not looking forward to it)
    Catcher in the Rye was great but I'm not rereading it.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get criticism on Fight Club, but wouldnt life be great if I could do a term paper on that?

Richard Bach...I read A Bridge Across Forever and another one of his books but I forget the title. I liked Bridge, but I don't think I want to venture into such heavy philosophical stuff again for a bit.
    I recommended him to a friend but she didnt listen. Her own fault.

Separate Peace sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

Originally posted by Tryska

Oooh! you could gross yourself out, and get brownie points for analyzing yellow journalism with Upton Sinclair's Jungle!
    AAAAH!!! I read the jungle last year. I was one of the few in the class who finished it. Will never look at a hot dog the same way again.

Seriously though, it wasnt a bad story. Incredibly sad, actually.

doh!

what about the Ya-Yas?

a story of freindship, moms and daughters, the Beautiful South..it's contemporary, and it's American..and it's a great read too!

Good call Tryska I forgot about the Ya Ya's. As soon as I ever heard a word about that book I read it.

I've read the Cliff's Notes for all those books The Jungle's notes were good

Learning abc by ladybaird

Go for firestarter by stephen king, or the bad place by dean koontz, they're both great
    half the time I have no idea what you're talking about. the other half, I'm not listening.

Originally posted by majsi98
    Learning abc by ladybaird
    or Go Dog Go.. wait no Yertle the Turtle! possible the best turtle stacking book ever!
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

A Separate Peace is a great book, but "girls" (sorry) might not relate to it as well as guys. Fried Green Tomatoes was a good movie. It's probably considered a chick flick, but I liked it anyway. If you get short on time, you can always rent the movie. A really good newer novel is Cold Mountain, which is set in North Carolina during the Civil War. Speaking of North Carolina, Look Homeward Angel is considered an American classic, but the writing style is pretty stream-of-consciousness, so it's a bit tough to wade through. Speaking of which, if you like stream-of-consciousness southern writers, you might like The Sound and the Fury.

I'm trying to imagine Mark Twain translated into Russian. Since I don't speak a word of Russian, I guess I'll have to settle for imagining.

Americans can read??
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310