The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Powerlifting for strength, then Bodybuilding for definition?

Have you guys ever done a couple of routines to get pure strength, then went to more reps and sets for definition? I just got done doing this and I'll tell you guys, it's good.

I bulked for a couple of months during heavy lifting, gained all sorts of strength, had a bit of a layoff, lifted hard again but with more reps and sets and now see definition along with my strength. This is the best definition I've ever had. I'm about to go to a really heavy and intense PL routine now, and I'll try it again for even better results. Have you guys done something like this and how did it go?
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

or you could try to mix the two together, doing a routine using sets of 10-5-2 or vice versa, 2-5-10

Right now I'm doing 10-8-6 and I've been quite happy with the strength gains compared to my more traditional 10-10-10 routines

No.

There's no need to make the two so exclusive.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

training is for strength
    diet is for definition
    I trian like a powerlifter and eat similar to a bodybuilder so i can keep my bodyfat fairly low.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon
    training is for strength
    diet is for definition
    I trian like a powerlifter and eat similar to a bodybuilder so i can keep my bodyfat fairly low.
    Exactly. I've seen some of the more elite powerlifters (not the super heavies) and they're ripped. Look at the guys in the weight classes below 200lbs in either powerlifting and oly lifting and you'll see that even heavy weight trains definition. Its just a matter of diet as to how much of the muscle you've gained shows.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I'm with Adam

I do train every other routine for strength and the other for definition. It does take a while to switch muscle tendencies between the 2 though.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

A muscle doesn't know the difference between training for strength or definition. It knows to contract or not to contract. How a muscle shows is based on the level of bodyfat covering it. If there is less bodyfat caused by proper dieting then the muscle will show.

If you really want to get down to it, look up sarcoplasmic hypertrophy vs. myofibrillar hypertrophy. Training for strength can, to a certain extent, increase muscle definition more than higher rep routines.

Take this article for instance:
    http://www.dolfzine.com/page216.htm

It does mention that it is less likely that you'll get size in training at lower rep ranges for strength but if you are eating enough, you'll grow regardless. With myofibrillar hypertrophy, this is actually the contracting units of the muscle. If you increase these you'll tend to get deeper striations and more noticeable definition, whereas with sarcoplasmic hypertrophy you're just increasing the surrounding area of a muscle without actually getting the contracting lengths to grow. While the latter does create size quicker, the size gained tends to be a bit smoother and less defined than the former.
    Last edited by WillKuenzel; 11-19-2004 at 06:37 PM.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Good post.

I thought that a muscle gets used to training for definition (of course it doesn't know it).

For instance: If you were to do 2 months of 2x10 training, then go to 2x3 much heavier training, wouldn't it take time for your muscles to adjust and, how do I put this, "kick in" to actually work better with the newe PLing? It's just the impression I've got lately around here.

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia

Right now I'm doing 10-8-6 and I've been quite happy with the strength gains compared to my more traditional 10-10-10 routines

Thats what I do, with a 12 for the first set of any bodypart to do a quick warmup and get it going.
    Height: 5'10 1/2" | Weight: 203 | BF%: 16.5 | Goal: 190 at 13% bodyfat by April 1st, 2005.
    My journal -http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=971768